Understanding Slider Rev's Slide Editor & Preview

Hi, I’m puzzled by the Slide Editor’s behaviour. I’m learning to use it using some template photos provided by Slider Rev.
a) When I view the Slide Editor, I can’t see the whole working space for a laptop view. Please see screenshot below. Is there a way to get the whole view, esp when I want to see the whole background & when I use the “Play” feature in the Editor? This happens even if my Slider settings are “auto”, “full width”, or “full screen”. This is how my Editor looks like on my laptop and it’s hard to arrange layers in relation to the whole page.

My current Slider settings are as follows:

b) After I’ve turned on the “Helper Grid” lines, they appear outside the image layer, as seen below (on top of the screenshot). This makes it difficult for me to arrange new layers. Did I do something wrong?

c) When I next align my big image according to “slide based”, on the Editor the thumbnails look quite near to the big image:

But when I look at the Preview, the thumbs are far far away. Why - what is causing the extra gap & why is it not visible on the Editor? How should I arrange the thumbs so I know how far they will be in relation to the big image on the actual webpage? See:

The top thumbnail (dog) is slide-based. The lower thumbnail is grid-based.

d) When I next aligned the big image to the center, it stayed on the left edge of the Editor (see top screenshot below). Whereas when I align the image to the left, it moved closer to the center (bottom screenshot). Why is that so?

e) Lastly, if I want the thumbnails to be nearer to the big image on the phone view, do I have to use separate thumbnails and use the “Visibility” to hide the first 2 thumbnails on the laptop view? If i did not do so, when I clicked on the phone view & moved the thumbs, the laptop view also changed.

I’m new to Slider Rev. Any basic advice will be appreciated so I know how to arrange the layers properly.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in!

To build a fully auto responsive slider, please check out this video:

And to get familiar of all the slider revolution panels, settings and anything you want to know, you can check out the documentation here: https://www.themepunch.com/revslider-doc/slider-revolution-documentation/

Hope this helps.

I’ve watched that video a dozen times & read the documentation. But they don’t resolve the above perplexing questions. That’s why I’ve taken the trouble to write in with my screenshots showing my actual experience.

Is there someone else who can help a beginner like me see the light?

Hi @iamwithU,

The explanation above is quite confusing of what you want to achieve. Would you mind sharing us a screenshot of what is the exact looks that you want to achieve. From there, we will try to create it then explain how we created it.

Thank you so much.

I’ll break down in parts. If you see my 1st screenshot above, you notice that I can only see part of the webpage. How do I shrink the Slide Editor in order to see the whole webpage?

Also why are the Grid Help lines outside the webpage? See 3rd screen shot.

Hi,

In your screenshot #1 and #3, I can see that your background was set to cover.

Cover means resize the background image to cover the entire container, even if it has to stretch the image or cut a little bit off one of the edges

You will be able to adjust this under Source Settings. Try to set it to Contain and try to set background position to Center Top

See screenshot

For more information kindly refer to the links below.

https://www.themepunch.com/revslider-doc/main-background/

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_background-size.asp

Hope that helps.

Thanks Paul for the super prompt reply.

Actually i had a blank background. I only added a new LAYER, using Slider Rev’s photo.

Nonetheless at your advice, I used as a Background Image the same photo & set “contain”, “center top”. But the working area is still truncated on my laptop screen:

No way to shrink the Slide Editor so I can arrange other layers with a perspective of the whole screen? When I press “play” to see the animation of all the layers, I can’t see what’s happening on the rest of the screen.

Another new problem occurred when I applied your advice. See screenshot below - a double image appears below the first one. Why is that so?

Hi @iamwithU,

The contain and center-top only applies to the actual preview and live slider. The slider/timeline editor is different and there is no way to shrink it especially larger part of the space are used by the builder/editor’s tool and rulers. Try pressing CTRL + - , see if it’s resize down your browser view.

As for the doubled image, please make sure the Background Repeat option is set to no-repeat.

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re brilliant, Rad! On my Mac, I used Command - to shrink the workspace.

Can you help me now with the other issues mentioned in my first post - eg why are the “Grid Help” lines outside the big image (which is a “layer”)?

Hi @iamwithU

I couldn’t replicate this issue at my end, please check this screenshot:

Try to update the Revolution Slider plugin to the latest stable version 5.4.8 and recheck this issue (this can be done by deleting the plugin then reinstalling it again from the “X > Validation”). Make sure to backup your site before this step.

If this didn’t help, then please provide us with WordPress Dashboard login details in a “Secure Note” so we can investigate this issue.

Thanks.

Does deleting Slider Rev mean deleting the sliders I’ve created? How to retrieve them later?

Also what about Point © & (d) of my 1st post? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Your sliders would still be there. They’re kept separately in wp-content/uploads/revslider.

I believe this has to do with your Layers Grid Sizes. For more details, please see https://youtu.be/OIJShHQlMx0. Try lowering your grid sizes. Generally, you should use values not higher than your monitor’s screen size.

Also, when working on your slides, collapsing the WordPress admin menu will give you more preview space.

Hope that helps.

Hmm… about the update to 5.4.8. I read your colleague Jade’s advice 4 days ago:

“This means that version 5.4.7.4 has been fully test with X and should work fine. We are still testing the recent version of Rev Slider with X and when everything is fully tested. we will be releasing an update.”

I’m confused. Should I wait for X’s update?

Hi,

As stated in our compatibility page.

The latest supported version of revslider is Version: 5.4.8

So you may now update your plugin to that version(5.4.8).

Thanks

Noted, Paul. Thanks.

You are welcome, feel free to update this thread if you encountered any related issue, however we would appreciate opening a new support thread for any new questions.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.