Unable to Edit Navigation Menu

I am building a new site and just added a new menu. A few minutes after I created it, i went back to edit it and discovered that I am no longer able to access the menu editing page. When I click “Menus” under the appearance tab, the browser appears to hang for 30 seconds to a minute, then displays the error below. I should note that the menu appears to be working properly on the site and, so far, I am able to access all of the other features in Cornerstone.

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing in.

I couldn’t anything from the sites in your account. Would you mind providing the following information in the secure note?

• Site’s URL
  • Admin login credentials
  • FTP login credentials ( you may contact your hosting provider if this is not available)

For the meantime, please check for the following first:

1. If you’re using a caching plugin, clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins. If it’s not accessible through admin, then please rename them through FTP (/wp-content/plugins/)

2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time. Again, if it’s not accessible through admin, then please rename them through FTP (/wp-content/plugins/)

4. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

5. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Thanks.

Hi Chris,

I can’t access it through FTP too, and it seems to be IP related. I recommend contacting your domain registrar to see if it’s properly pointing to your hosting provider.

This site can’t be reached www.wvsfair.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Or perhaps, your hosting is refusing the request per assigned domain. I recommend contacting the hosting provider as well.

Thanks!

Hello Chris,

Thanks for providing the information. I have logged in and increase your maximum input value in the php.ini. I was not able to check it in your WP dashboard by the way because the given WP credentials has a very limited privilege.

Please check your site by editing your menus now.

Thanks. That doesn’t appear to have made a difference. I changed the role to administrator for the WordPress account, so you should be able to access it now. I meant to do that when I created it, but overlooked it. Sorry about that!

Hello Chris,

I have made some changes in your server configuration. The menus is slowly loading the items. This issue happens because you have several menu items and your server is slow. WordPress has taken a toll in loading the menu items. You will have to wait a little longer to fully load all the items.

Please check it now.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.