Ubermenu very slow in editor - Unworkable

Hi there,

I’m using Ubermenu on a clients site and finding it’s very slow when editing it.

I go to Appearance > Menus, and the menu takes up to 1 minute to load. Then when I go to move/drag a menu item it freezes and the page becomes unresponsive.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hi,

Can you confirm that you are fully updated? (Wordpress, Themes and Plugins)

The latest version numbers are:

Wordpress 4.9.8
Pro 2.3.8
X 6.3.8
Cornerstone 3.3.8

Then you can compare them to what’s installed on your site.

If you find anything to be out of date, you can review our update guide.

You can also check the links below

Hope that helps

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

It turns out it’s a memory issue.

I increased the “max_input_vars” and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Hey Steve,

Glad you’ve sorted it out. It looks like you had lots of menu items so you need to increase the max_input_vars.

Hi @christian_y,

Yes that’s what we thought, I increased the max_input_vars to 7000.

We no longer get memory warnings but the page never fully loads in the editor. The page becomes unresponsive everytime I load it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi,

Try to increase your memory limit and maximum execution time as well.

You can do this by adding the code below in wp-config.php file.

set_time_limit(300);
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');
define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1024M');

Hope that helps

Hi Paul,

Here are the current settings:

Will increase the (WP_MEMORY_LIMIT) & (WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick response!

Hi,

Your memory limit is quit high already, please try to increase maximum execution time to 300s.

If it doesn’t help please provide us your wordpress admin login in Secure Note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks

Hi paul,

I’ve changed the values to what you suggested however it’s still taking forever to load.

Happy for you to take a look at: Appearance > Menus

Hi Steve,

The issue you’re having is javascript related, and because of too many items, it became really really slow. I could only recommend minimize the menu items or avoid Ubermenu. Javascript runs within the browser, which means on your device and not from the server. Any configuration within the server side will have no effect.

I can confirm that it loads the item about 1 to 2 mins (rendering), then drag and drop performances is affected as well. Please check this https://sevenspark.com/docs/ubermenu-3/optimize/slow-speed-configuration-issues

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

Thanks for taking a look.

I understand it’s a huge menu however we’ve had it larger without any loading issues so I don’t understand why we are having difficulty now.

We originally had more menu items with icons and images and it wasn’t rendering so slowly.

The only thing that has changed is that we transferred the site over to SiteGround as per the client’s request, it was originally hosted on BlueHost.

I have read and installed the recommended plugins from the above articles without any boost in performance.

I’ve also tried creating another smaller menu (5 top level categories) and that is also loading slowly.

So is this an Ubermenu issue? Would another mega menu be able to handle this many items better?

If so what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Hey Steve,

It’s probably because of Cornerstone’s Navigation fields. Please check this related thread at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/x-menu-js-error/39960/15?u=christian_y. A workaround was posted in there but please note that it’s not guaranteed to work and it will not be supported.

If it does not work, regretfully, you would really need to reduce the number of menu items moreover that it’s also generally recommended for User Experience. We also don’t have any options for this.

Thanks.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the information.

I’ve redesigned and significantly reduced the menu and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help.

You’re welcome!
We’re glad our staff were able to help you out.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.