The thumbnail image doesn't show for sidebar on iPhone 8 Plus (all mobile I think)

Although the video actually works, the thumbnail image isn’t displayed on mobile–if the video is in the sidebar. It shows fine for desktop.

Hi Charliesa,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I checked your setup and I see you’re using an old version of Pro. Please update your theme and plugins to the latest versions as many bugs have been addressed in the latest version. You can find the latest version numbers here: (http://theme.co/changelog/) Then you can compare them to what’s installed on your site.

If you find anything to be out of date, you can review our update guide.

I also noticed you’re using Cloudflare, please clear it’s cache and if you’re using any caching plugin, purge it’s cache as well and disable optimization services for a while. Make sure to clear of browser’s cache as well.

Let us know how this goes!

Well. it wasn’t Cloudflare, or W3 Total Cache. I deactivated W3 Total Cache, and purged Cloudflare totally.

When I updated the PRO theme, I no longer had a sub menu indicator, or social buttons graphics. I went to the header builder to see if I cou ld just redo both. I added the graphic, although it was there, and no difference. Same for the footer since I have social there too. I did the same with the sub menu indicator, that didn’t work either. No doubt there were more issues, but I didn’t look further.

I don’t have tons of time, so I just restored from a backup and all is well, excluding the initial issue. My choice was a messed up site, or an image in the sidebar that didn’t display correctly on Mobile.

This is another site I just started. I have no caching plugin, or cloudflare. It IS on PRO 2.5.4. I have the same issue on mobile–the thumbnail image is blacked out on mobile. Although It plays on mobile,there is no image. It works perfectly on desktop. This is only for videos in the sidebar.

http://www.catchthemyoung.org/uncategorized/hello-world/

Hi @charliesa,

I assume you’re just referring to just the video, it’s the only image I’m seeing on the sidebar. And the real reason it’s not working on mobile is that you added the Youtube URL as video URL. It will only work on some browser like Google Chrome where youtube video format is supported by default and it’s not related to the theme.

It’s either you add a video URL of the actual file, like http://example.com/video.mp4, or add your Youtube video as an embed code.

Just keep in mind that Youtube videos are not actual video files.

Thanks!

Yes, I did mean the video image, or the thumb nail derived from Youtube.

Am I doing thing all wrong? This is a blog, and I use Gutenberg. The video is added as a sidebar widget, not in an element. I also tried adding Custom HTML in the sidebar and entered the iFrame embed code. It didn’t work either.

Hey @charliesa,

Please try using the Video Embed shortcode. You can see a sample setup at http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/responsive-video/

I tested your video and this is how it looks in both desktop and mobile.

Hope that helps.

This is in the blog which is in Gutenberg. The sidebar sidebar videos are not in PRO, but in the Wordpress widget. I use the video widget, or just the custom html. For the HTML I just add the Youtube embed code. neither work.

Hi @charliesa,

Builder’s video element or Gutenberg, it’s just going to be the same since both uses the media player provided by Wordpress itself. And regardless, Youtube URL shouldn’t be added as video source since it’s not a video file. And it can be confirmed by viewing the source code.

As you can see in that code, it’s in the sidebar where Youtube URL is added as <source> and not an iframe or embed code.

Please provide your admin login credentials in the secure note and I like to confirm it in admin.

Thanks!

Credentials just above your comment

Hi @charliesa,

I see that you added some changes to the widgets including an extra HTML widget where the embed code is added. That is not taking effect due to cache, once I cleared the cache it displays okay. But given that the video is not accessible on my end, then it’s not playing even on the desktop but it’s displayed. So I then added another video and it plays. But then, it seems you currently working on it too, the widgets are now gone including the test widget that I added. Let me know if you’re able to fix or I’ll leave another test video that you can test.

Please also note that you have to clear your site’s caches for every change you’ll add in the widget, or else, it will not take effect on live view.

Thanks!

I have an idea I’m screwing you up. Please do that again, and I’ll keep my hands off.

Sure, please check it again :slight_smile: The video is now displaying on iOS device. Thanks!

Yes, you corrected it. I went to another site and did it in custom HTML and it worked. I now have 2 videos in the sidebar of this site, and all is well on desktop, iPad, and iPhone.

In addition, I had another issue where the center button appeared for Youtube, but wasn’t functional. You fixed that too.

Thank you very much!

You’re most welcome! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.