"The preview was unresponsive after loading."

Hi there, I’m getting the following error when I try to load Cornerstone for one of my pages (currently in draft form) on boogiebackdance.com:
“The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.”

I’ve tried deactivating all non-essential plugins, I’ve tried disabling my ad-blocker, I’ve tried increasing my memory limit. The only thing that appears to work, is to disable the plugin MEC (Modern Events Calendar). However I need this plugin, it’s the only reason I’m working on this new page. I did notice that I’m not able to update that plugin – it says “Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.” Maybe this is the problem? I don’t know but I’d really appreciate some help. FTP login details are in a secure note.

Hello There,

Since you have done the basic troubleshooting, could you please provide the WP credentials so that we can log in to your WP dashboard and test Cornerstone to figure out is there are errors on the page while loading it?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Login deets are in the secure note.

Hi there,

Looks like your host has issues too which contributes to builder issue as well. Your site was accessible, but after testing, it became unreachable.

Are you on shared hosting? I see this happen if the host has limited allowed connections. Example, if the builder initiates 25 consecutive connections (where the limit is 20) then the host will start blocking the current session/user making it inaccessible for few hours.

Thanks!

Hi,

I’ll contact my hosting provider, but in the meantime please could you tell me how to update the MEC plugin? I wouldn’t be surprised if this fixes my issue, and it’s pretty frustrating that it won’t update. Surely Themeco won’t force me to buy the plugin, after advertising its availability as a bundled extension with X Theme?

Thanks

Hi there,

What’s your MEC current version? I can’t check it since your site is still inaccessible on my end. And to what version you wish to update? Please note that you can only update your MEC to the versions we provide since it’s a bundled plugin.

And yes, you’ll have to buy the plugin if you wish to update it to the version of MEC that its author provides. We can’t just provide any versions just because the author provided a different one, we need to test it first for compatibility. Plus, I’m not sure if it’s really due to MEC, I can’t continue checking.

But if I can confirm that this is a bug caused by MEC then I can add this to our issue tracker.

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense – pity the compatibility check doesn’t take place sooner though :confused:

I currently have version 2.2.6 of MEC, and the update is 2.3.0.

Hi there,

I see, I’ll check it again once your site becomes available again.

Thanks!

Hi,

From my hosting provider:

Hi Muriel,
On checking I could see some mod security rules triggered. I have now disabled these.
I could see that the IP address ‘95.104.61.138’ was blocked by one of our security systems due to multiple patterns matches being triggered during a point in time when the server was being attacked.
This is a learning system and we have whitelisted your IP and we will analyse the pattern matching to see if this can be avoided in future.
If you still face issues, please get back to us with the IP address from which you are trying to access the site to check if it is blocked in the server.
You will get it from http://whatismyipaddress.com/.
The domain is loading without any issues from our end. I have checked and ensured that the admin panel of the domain is also loading fine. Please refer the screen-shot attached.
Before you access the website on the browser, we suggest you to clear your browser cache. For information on how to clear your browser cache, please refer “https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html
Please check from your end and let me know the update.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! I was able to logged in and I tested Cornerstone. I can see a JS error on the page.

Could you please ask assistance from your hosting provider and increase the PHP time limit to at least 300. At your current setting it is only set at 30.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Hi, they’ve increased the PHP parameter ‘max_execution_time’ to 300.
I’ve tried reloading the page in question, but I get the same error as before - “The preview was unresponsive after loading.” etc.

Hi there,

I’m back again :slight_smile:

All I did was loaded your page in the builder, perhaps, there is a connection limit imposed by your security? And when I triggered it, it blocked me.

And still, I can’t access your site. I tried resetting my IP and still the same, here is my new IP.

Could you try it on another host? If it simply blocks some access due to a limiter being triggered then maybe you may need to check it with other hosts.

Thanks!

From my host:

Hello there, I have unblocked 49.145.2.209 and whitelisted the same. Please contact your developer and see if they can access the site. Also, please ask them to provide the range/list of IP addresses they use, so that we can whitelist them in our server. By doing this, they can access the site without this IP block issue in the future.

Hi there,

It’s intermittent, but it mostly loads on my end. Example,

It won’t really load in my first few moments of attempts. But right now, it’s loading fast without any issues. I can only guess that this is due to performance. As there are times that even loading the admin is taking so long. I deactivated MEC plugin and still the same, hence, this is not because of that plugin.

You should try another hosting as this looks like a shared one. I can confirm that you already increased your site’s memory limit through wp-config.php, but the issue is still memory related (and in shared hosting, you usually can’t increase it)

[16-Dec-2017 14:55:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 241664 bytes) in /home/lovelikelija/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-template.php on line 144

It’s trying to allocate 41.94304 bytes (41mb) and it fails, hence, causing the performance issue. In shared hosting, your memory usage is limited and you can’t override the memory limit. You should contact your hosting provider with this information.

Thanks!

I don’t understand why my website would need a bigger memory allocation than any other small business website. It’s not a big website, and it doesn’t get a huge amount of traffic. Am I missing something? I haven’t changed anything major in the last few months, and I’ve had no issues until now. I cannot justify spending R700-R1,000 on dedicated hosting, I run a small business!

Hi There,

Actually, the Theme/Cornerstone can run in 128MB memory limit. But you need to consider that your other plugins and the WordPress itself eat resources too, so 256MB is the ideal limit.

Try increasing the PHP memory limit by following this guide here.

If that does not work because your host can’t give you a 256M limit with your plan. Then maybe it’s time to move on and find a new host. I saw a lot of users here in shared hosting and running Cornerstone with no PHP memory limit issue.

And deactivate the plugins that you’re not really using, that should reduce the load on your site a little bit.

Thanks,

I’ll get rid of unnecessary plugins for sure and find other ways to reduce the memory load – but I just tried deactivating the MEC plugin again, and my pages load. Before deactivating it, pages don’t load, after deactivating it, they do. I really think that I simply need to update the plugin. When will Themeco release the update?

We have no news when the latest version will be released. Please stay tuned for updates. In the meantime, can you try creating a free fresh WordPress install in pantheon.io? This is to give us more info. If it works there, another possible cause of the issue could be a combination of Cornerstone, MEC and your host.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.