The Grid Video Not Working

I am looking into using “The Grid” to replace Essential Grid. I cannot for the life of me get it to play a video. Even forcing the post type to video and hard coding video URL’s / Youtube URL’s, the grid refuses to play a video. It simply opens up the featured post image.

Any ideas? Screenshots below of the page config and it showing the featured image, not playing the video. It’s like it’s not even detecting it’s a video post. It should say “show video” or use the “play video” icon, but it still thinks the post is an image. Something is broken.

Thanks,
~Ben

Hi there,

To have a cross browser experience regarding the videos you will need to upload ALL file types which is in the settings. Each file type will work for a specific browser. So you may check the page with other browsers and it may work.

Here is a detailed information regarding the file types and browsers which support those file types:

Hope it helps.

h264 encoded .mp4 works pretty much across all browsers I’m interested in - either way, I’m not getting an issue with playback… it’s not even trying to play. It’s displaying the featured image in the lightbox… which is just incorrect.

Also, essential grid renders these videos fine.
The problem is not with the video formatting or hosting - it’s with the grid.

If The Grid truely needs all these URL’s populated, that’s just a showstopper right out of the box. Essential grid doesn’t require this at all.

Please give us the URL of the page where you’ve setup the video grid so we could check if there are errors. Before that, please check for the following first:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

Thanks.

Hi xian - this is a private membership site. How is best to provide you with a login to access the URL’s.

Cache’s etc have been cleared - problem remains.

Please post your credentials in a “Secure Note” you can find in the Post Controls.

If you could duplicate your site though, that would be best as performing some troubleshooting could break or remove features from your live site.

Thanks.

Hi xian, details have been uploaded to secure note.

The link you provided is not available.

Also, please confirm if you allow us to perform troubleshooting in your live site.

Thanks.

Hi Xian,

We figured out that if you force the post type to video, the featured image doesn’t work, but the video does play.

If we manually set the alternative media, it will show.

Is it possible to have the post type on video, and have the featured image show in the grid? Or do you need to set the alternative media manually?

The Grid will use the alternative image.

It would be nice in a future release, if it picked the featured image first, then the alternative image. This is how other grid solutions tend to work.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll forward it as feature request.