The Grid: Alternate Image Link & Lightbox Z-index

Hi there- I need assistance with two things regarding The Grid plugin.

1) Open Alternate Image/Video in Lightbox:
The Grid’s documentation claims that it can open an alternate image/video when you open the lightbox. I have my alternate image inputs set on a number of gallery items, but it simply expands the thumbnail and ignores the alternate link. (See the first gallery item in this gallery: https://2019.nueramarketing.com/#recent-work). Additionally, I have been unsuccessful in even displaying a video in The Grid’s lightbox so far.

2) Lightbox Z-Index:
We have a SuperFly menu button on our site, and I would like The Grid Lightbox to open over the SuperFly toggle button. I recently had to do this for Essential Grid, but now have to recreate that function with The Grid. Currently the SuperFly menu prevents users from toggling through a lightbox slideshow because it appears over the right edge of the browser window.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nuera,

Thanks for reaching out.

1. For the video, please check this https://theme-one.com/docs/the-grid/

In this settings tab, you also have the possibility to show all post format video in a lightbox instead of displaying the video inside grid element.
Just by activating this option all videos will be automatically played in a lightbox.

It’s the Lightbox Content section from that screenshot. May I know which item should display a video? And which grid? The one in the home page’s recent work are just media library images. It should be posts with video format.

As for the alternate image, would you mind providing the URL where it’s mentioned? What I found are just about alternate media/image are possible to replace the cover image of the grid item. I can’t find the alternate image for lightbox. Plus, in skin editor, it only has the option to open the lightbox and there is no option for alternate image.

1. Please add this CSS as well
.tolb-holder {
    z-index: 999999999 !important;
}

Thanks!

Thank Rad! I got that CSS added and that works perfectly- much appreciated.

Regarding the video lightbox content, the very first item in the gallery (DUUUVAL Billboard) is one of the two or three items in the gallery that I would like to open up as lightbox videos.

I’ve been through all the documentation a hundred times today and I can’t figure out how to include a video with the rest of the gallery. What step am I missing here?

Hello @Nuera,

Your grid’s source is Post Type and then you only selected Media Library. You have supplied the images and then the grid perfectly displays. If you want to display a video, then you’ll have to add the video as one of your grid items. If you want the grid to display your recent post items, please include Posts as well by selecting the post type in the dropdown selection.

Hope this helps.

According to their new layout, I believe including “Media Library” under “Post Types” is the only way to display anything. If there’s an alternate way to create a custom media gallery, I’m happy to do it.

This way would work fine, except it doesn’t allow me to select a self-hosted mp4 file from the media library. The file simply doesn’t show up when I go to add it to my gallery.

Please advise :slight_smile:

Hi,

Yes, that’s correct, it’s one of the limitation of the The Grid plugin

You might want to try essential grid plugin instead.

With essential grid, you can create a custom grid and can add the following items.

Please refer to the links below for your guide on how to create one.

https://www.themepunch.com/essgrid-doc/core-anatomy-of-an-essential-grid/#custom-grid
https://www.themepunch.com/essgrid-doc/

Hope that helps

Well I know that there is a way to display video in a lightbox in The Grid as they have an option for that in the general settings. I just can’t figure out how to get it to work.

Also, we built this particular gallery after spending a week and a half trying to get Essential Grid to do what we wanted, but without success. At least we’ve gotten The Grid to look the way we wanted this time around. If we could figure out the trick to getting video into the lightbox, we’d be golden! haha…

I’ve already reached out to The Grid’s developers but they said that since it’s bundled with X/Pro I have to look here for our support. If there’s any way you can help us figure this out, we’d be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Hey @Nuera,

You will need to utilize The Grid’s Video Post Format for this. Regretfully, this is not available for the Media Post Type so I’d recommend that you setup a custom post type like the default Post post type to avail of the option.

I’ve currently set your 2 latest post to video post format to demonstrate in this test page: https://2019.nueramarketing.com/x-support-test/

The featured image does not work as the video poster so you’d need to setup an alternative image.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks, Christian! I think will work great! Just need to figure out how to filter these out from the rest of our blog posts now.

Much appreciated and I’ll let you know if we have any other questions!
~G

On behalf of my colleague, you’re welcome. Cheers! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.