Static Front Page with Ess Grid broken

Hello
A serious issue has developed on my website for an unknown reason.

The homepage was working until recently: a static page with an Ess Grid added. It now does not show the Body content, and is missing other custom styling items in the Right nav bar.

The only possible cause could have been testing some js using the Custom js Option in X Theme. The js worked, but was then removed as no longer needed. Does js added using the Custom option sometimes need to be removed from a file somewhere else?

Cloning the page and swapping the Static page results in the same issue. It displays fine in the Cornerstone Editor Preview, but nothing in the front end.

Thanks for your help. Can I send you a link Privately since this is still under construction?

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in!

I can see there is no content loading in the page. To help you understand what could be the exact issue we need your website Login details. Please post it in secure note so that we can have a look.

Thanks

Thanks for replying so fast and taking a look. Just added login details in the Secure Note.
Fingers crossed you can spot the issue!

Hi again
After doing some debugging we’re getting closer to the issue:
Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 130968 bytes)
Type: PHP Fatal error
Line: 1834
File: /wp-content/plugins/essential-grid/includes/item-skin.class.php

(I edited the file path for security)

So it looks like it’s related to Essential Grid in some way. I’ve increased the WP memory limit in wp-config.php but not fixed as yet. Is this related to the php (v. 5.6 currently) or mysql version on the server perhaps?

Thanks.

Hello There,

Please do check if your server meets the minimum requirements to run WordPress.
You can check it from this page: https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Meanwhile, ​we recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

Hello
So we’ve upgraded to php 7.0 and the issue is still unresolved. There seems to be something that’s broken with Essential Grid or Cornerstone, as I tried to add and Essential Grid to a test page and it has not worked. It gives me a 503 error currently (please see link in Secure Note).
Using a Shortcode without Cornerstone works correctly.
Would this suggest one of these plugins not working correctly?
Do you have any further suggestions to help? It’s getting closer to launching the site and this is a major problem we need to fix.

Many thanks for your support.

Hi there,

Would you mind providing your site’s FTP login credentials as well?

And please change this line define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' ); to define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', 512M' );. The error says 268435456 bytes which is also equivalent to 268mb. Hence, you need a limit greater than 256mb-268mb. Please try that, and if the error still persists then you must contact your hosting provider, some hosting will not allow changing and increasing the memory limit even if you change the configuration, sometimes it’s fixed to 256mb.

Thanks!

Hi Rad
Thanks for your reply, this is a very frustrating issue!
I will send ftp details in a secure note.
I updated wp-config as instructed but still no change. I will contact the host in the meantime.

Dan

Hi again
As further information related to this, when running the Console in FF while in Cornerstone editor, I get the script errors noted in the Secure note.
cs-vendor.js is noted by my host as a security issue, which I see in other threads is a known issue. Could this be part of the issue?
The strange thing is, my other site alpsinsight.com is working fine with no issues, but it is running the previous version of X.
Thanks again.

Hi there,

It won’t really work, the error is still the same no matter what size I add (exhausted memory). This means there is a restriction you can’t just override and may require the attention of your hosting provider.

Those error that you provided are just for source map, and your debugger console is looking for those map files. It’s not related to the issue you’re getting, in some browser, debug map can be turned off but can’t be turn off in Safari’s developer console.

Thanks!

Hello
So I was able to increase the memory size manually via my host, so that is now set to 512M. There don’t seem to have been any errors produced since before increasing this, but the issue is still there.

I’ve narrowed it down to be an issue between Essential Grid and Cornerstone, since when I attempt to add a Grid using Cornerstone it results in a 503 error (I have contacted the host about this): Test 2 page in Secure note

When I remove this Grid and just add a Text element, no more issue: Test 3 page in Secure note

It works using Shortcode via the normal Wordpress editor: Test shortcode not cornerstone page in Secure note

This is now a critical issue for us and for others who will be editing on the site. We are not alone in having issues with this: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-will-not-load-when-trying-to-edit/19491/2

I have been through most of the steps outlined there, but we did not make any changes or updates to plugins or anything else so it seems unlikely the issue is related to that.

What can we do? Should we try reinstalling Cornerstone and/or Essential Grid via ftp? Will this break all the pages created using Cornerstone or will they be retained once we reactivate this?

Should we be worried that any future pages won’t work using Cornerstone and Ess Grid, unless we fix this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Hi again
So it’s working again! If you did something then THANK YOU!
I don’t know what actually fixed it, not what the problem was, so if you have any ideas then I’d be very glad to know how to sort this in the future.
If it was related, I added and Essential Grid element under a Text Element to begin with and suddenly it’s working properly.
Thanks again for your support.

Hi there,

Glad that you have managed to fix the issue. We did not do anything and it seems that the Memory Limit Increase kicks in somehow, not sure about that.

Anyway glad that you have managed to fix the issue :slight_smile:

Hello
Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I’m now getting a 503 error on a page that was previously working. Can you please tell me if you have experience of this issue elsewhere? ¨

I’m rapidly losing faith in the stability of your product as there seems no logic to this issue, and you guys don’t seem to know either.

Thanks for your support and any light you can shed on this.

…and now it’s working again after moving the Grid around in Cornerstone and deleting and reinstating Elements. Baffling.

I noticed a load of errors in the Console with vendor.js again when editing in Cornerstone. Would they be useful for you to see?

Many thanks.

Hi there,

Sounds like a performance issue and it varies from time to time.

Plus, I disable all plugins through FTP, and the theme too, the test-2 page is still displaying the 503 error. That means the theme and the plugins are out of the equation.

And the service unavailable error is a capacity error, it’s not code or scripting error.

Service Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Is there a way we can get more information from your hosting provider, like data analysis and performance logs?

Thanks.

Hello
Thanks for hanging in there with us and doing some further investigation.

It’s curious that you still experienced the 503 error after disabling everything, as my hosting provider concluded that the Cornerstone plugin was responsible for generating this error.

I’ve posted his reply in the Secure note for your info. It does seem to be generated when using Cornerstone and Ess Grid, but it could well be performance related as you note. I wish I knew more, but the main thing is we have found a way to keep things working.

I’ll see if I can find more information and data related to the server.

Thanks again.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the information. This actually indeed shows that the problem is the Performance and it seems that the hosting service provider cannot handle the performance request of the Cornerstone.

This shows that not us and nor the hosting service provider can do anything at the moment, if it is the too much resource intensive case from our side it will take time to make it less resource intensive during the course of time and by refactoring the code and it will be not available soon. (I honestly don’t think that is the case as we have the plugin on multiple servers with no problems) The other point is the hosting service provider. I suggest that you temporarily move your website to another test server or your local installation and check the case. That will clearly show if the problem is from the server or not.

Thank you very much for your great patience and cooperation for this case, we totally understand that this is frustrating and it slows down your development process.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.