Site does not load / white screen for users

This is an intermittent issue and so I don’t know what to look for. Is there an error log at all or something that can be checked? Could it be a database needs cleaning? Is it a conflict? I don’t know how to tell because it comes and goes. I did remove a couple of plugins: Shortpixel and Replace Media as well as one to do categories for the media. There was no indication they were at issue but it was just something to try. One other thing that has gotton 2 complaints is the contact form. In one instance it is the form with a multistep plugin associated.

Have you seen this before? Thank you.

Hi Georgia,

Thank you for writing in and sorry you’re having that issue, yes we do see a white screen issue before but not an intermittent one. If it is intermittent then more likely a server-side issue, maybe your site is reaching PHP memory limit, let’s try to increase it by following the guide provided here.

Some hosting does not allow increasing of PHP memory limit, so you need to contact your hosting support and ask to increase your PHP memory limit.

And please add a WP_DEBUG to your wp-config.php file, and lets see if the site can log the error after it got a white screen. Add this to your wp-config.php file.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Just right before the line;

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

The log file can be found in /wp-content/ directory.

More info about WP DEBUG here.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Thank you @friech. I added and/or modified the following:
define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);
define( ‘WP_DEBUG_LOG’, true );
define( ‘WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY’, false );
define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
I also went through an older paper I found here to optimize the site and the url: cleaned the database, optimized the images twice with EWWW (sp?), and a few other things. I didn’t finish explaining about Contact Form issues: It does not forward on all of the info it seems. Let me know if I can help further. Best!

Hi @GeorgiaG,

Upon checking your setup, I could see that it is working well already.

Would you mind sharing us more details of the conflict or on how we could replicate it in our side.

Thanks.

Hello. There really does not seem to be a rhyme or reason. It may have to do with revolution slider but since a visitor would not know that is what they are ‘not seeing’ they would not know to call it that. It is just a completely white screen. I think I have seen that myself on another site: https://www.anacorteskayaktours.com/ and I am forced to reload the page to get it to load. The other issue was that there is a multi page contact form that when submitted had only half of the info from the page. Thank you. I will add your info to that config file as well.

Two things: Is ii ok to leave debug active or should it be set to false after a time?
Also, I do not see a log file there when I go look. Thank you!

Hi @GeorgiaG

Answering to your questions, it’s not recommended to keep the debugging mode activated forever, but as long as you have WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY set to false, then that’s better as your visitors won’t see any warning/error printed out on the fronted, however your debug.log file will get increased in size as long as your server log an error message.

I suggest keeping it like that for a week or something, then looking at the debug.log file might help you narrowing down this issue, a reason why you can’t see the file till now could be that there isn’t any warning/notice/error logged by your server till now, the fill will be automatically created within the first thing logged.

Thanks.

So it is set to true? Can I set it to false and still collect errors? Also, I don’t see that file in the folder you said it would be in (see photo) so I must have misunderstood - where will it be located? Thank you.

Hi Georgia,

Sorry if we confuse you, the lines we provided you say something like this:

define('WP_DEBUG', true); /*Enable debugging*/
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true ); /*Enable error logging*/
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false ); /*But do not display the error on the page that user can see*/

This means if the debugging catch an error, it will log it on a file debug.log inside /wp-content/ directory. If you don’t see any debug.log file then that means it has not caught any error yet.

This is the only option we have since the issue is intermittent and we can not replicate it. Let the WP_DEBUG set in there for a while and hope to catch the bug. If you encounter the white screen then go ahead and check the log file immediately.

Hope this shed some lights,
Cheers!

Thank you. It clarified it all. I am assuming that any errors, even from Contact Form 7, will show here?

I appreciate the time you take to up our own education! I will check back with you after I look next week. Perhaps it was more an issue of insufficient memory. Thank you again, Georgia

You’re always welcome Georgia.
If you need anything else we can help you with, please let us know or don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Well I did not find it on the mttamdog site but for anacortes, where I have a similar issue I am logging bugs. Can you please assist me - I don’t know what it is trying to tell me. https://www.anacorteskayaktours.com/
Do I upload it securely? upload errors… I believe one is from uber menu use as there is not an actual page but I am using a custom header and #. That was recommended somewhere but is it also causing an error?
The second one is an issue with cornerstone and social share.

[20-May-2018 21:42:30 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/anacorte/public_html/wp-includes/nav-menu.php on line 784
[20-May-2018 21:42:30 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/anacorte/public_html/wp-admin/includes/class-walker-nav-menu-edit.php on line 80

[20-May-2018 21:58:28 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/anacorte/public_html/wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/includes/shortcodes/share.php on line 35

Hi Georgia,

More likely that 2 error you showed is not causing the white screen since those are only PHP Notice:, on another hand a PHP Fatal error: will.

Is there a specific page where we can encounter the white screen? I visited both https://www.anacorteskayaktours.com/ and https://www.mttamdog.com/ and navigate around, but never encounter the said error.

Do you have browser add-ons? would you mind deactivate those for a while and see if you can encounter the issue, It’s possible that browser extension is causing the conflict and can’t be log on log file.

Thanks,

By browser add-ons do you mean Chrome extensions?

Hi Georgia,

Yes that is right.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.