Server through the roof

my host just called and said my site uses up to 200% CPU. Its been like that for a couple of weeks. I don’t know why. Do you have any expirience as to why that could be the case?

thanks!

Hey There,

Often CPU spikes mean that your site might be compromised so the first thing I would recommend is getting in touch with your hosting provider and ask them to run some scans to see if there are any traces of malicious activity.

If that scan turns out to be negative the next thing I would do is running a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/ to see if any plugins are causing the load and maybe find alternatives or options to reduce the footprint.

I am more than happy to guide you on the way finding out the solution for this. Please provide me with as much information as possible so we can help figuring out what’s causing this. Thanks!

thank you very much. My provider says there is no malicious activity. it also happens when only 2 people are on the site (him and a colleague)

I’ll try that plugin and get back to you. (when my other issue is resolved)

Thank you.

it seems that wp-types caused the cpu-spikes. since i replaced it with cpt ui it runs “smoothliest” (according to my host :slight_smile: )
thanks!

Glad you’ve sorted it out.

Cheers!

Hi there,

Is there any detailed results/reports from your host of what’s causing this? We can’t really recommend or answer your questions as we’re not sure what’s happening internally.

Thanks!

hi there!
thanks for your reply and sorry that mine is so late!
I’ve managed to fix some of the problems that were causing the high cpu.

One thing I wanna do in terms of page-speed is to load CSS and Webfonts from the HTML-Head and JavaScript from HTML-Footer. But I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that within the x-theme yet. could you help me with that?
Thanks!

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! It could be possible with custom development, but this would be outside the scope of support we can offer. You may wish to consult a developer to assist you with this. X is quite extensible with child themes, so there are plenty of possibilities.

Thanks for understanding. Take care!

Hey @OverheadOnline, you could give the Hummingbird plugin a try. It’ll allow you to position your CSS and JS files wherever you want amongst some other nice performance enhancing features.

Thanks for the reply @Joao! I’ll do some research and consider the developmer-option when i hit a wall (or better see it coming)

thanks @JvP. I’ll give it a look!

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.