Revolution Slider Vanished

Hello There,

The most usual cause of this issue could be PHP memory exhaustion or PHP time limit. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

In terms of the PHP Time Limit, you will need further assistance from your hosting provider asking them to increase your PHP Time limit to at least 300ms.

For further troubleshooting, may we request that you enable the debug mode to figure out what may have caused the issue. You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you update the RevSlider plugin, you should see some error output describing the issue in more detail. And we might know why and how we can resolve it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you @RueNel I’ve updated the wp-config.php file with

define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);

As for increasing the PHP Time Limit to 300ms or more, my hosting provider suggested doing this by creating a php.ini file, and I was directed to two plugins WordPress phpinfo() and PHP Settings. Screenshots for both of these plugins are attached. Should I test the site before doing this to see if increasing the memory allocated to PHP was enough?

Hi,

Yes, please test your site first before doing that.

You can also try adding set time limit in your wp-config.php file.

eg.

set_time_limit(300);
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Hope that helps

Thank you @paul I followed your directions and looked to see if it worked by creating a myphpinfo.php file, but both the time limit and memory limit were still the same.

I then did it by creating a php.ini file and adding the following code

<?php memory_limit = 256M; max_execution_time = 300; ?>

As verified at http://rb1.56d.myftpupload.com/myphpinfo.php this appears to have worked! Am I in any danger in utilizing this method? Should I now try to update RevSlider and see what happens?

Hi @jeremy4

There is no problem in this method, except that you can’t use <?php and ?> in php.ini file. Just use the options value there.

What I recommend here is to make sure define('WP_DEBUG', true); is added to wp-config.php file and try updating Revolution Slider plugin. Let us know if there is any error reported during this process.

Thanks.

Hi @Alaa, I tried with and without <?php and ?> and with is the only way myphpinfo.php returns updated values for memory_limit and max_execution_time. The full code for the php.ini file reads

<?php memory_limit = 256M; max_execution_time = 300; ?>

Should I change this?

Hi,

Please remove the php tags and semicolons.

memory_limit=256M
max_execution_time=300

Thanks

Thanks @paul.r I removed the php tags and semicolons, and everything appears to still be working. Memory limit is still 256 and max execution time is still 300. I then went ahead and tried to update Slider Revolution and am seeing 2 Slider Revolutions in my plugins folder. One is version 5.4.6.3.1 which is not prompting for an update, and the other is version 5.4.7.3 which is prompting for an update but not allowing me to update. When I click “view details” I get an error.

Hi @jeremy4

I recommend taking a full backup of your website, then removing both plugins and reinstall it again from (X > Validation).

Thanks.

Thanks @Alaa, it’s prompting me for validation. Will I be able to validate this staging site with the same license I have for my production site?

Hi @jeremy4,

Yes, in your license page, there is an allocation license for staging site.

https://theme.co/apex/licenses

Hope it helps.

thanks.

Thanks @Alaa, @nico, @paul.r, @RueNel, @Prasant and @Rad. It appears that this worked on the staging site! Hoping to repeat this with the production site, fingers crossed. Many, many thanks.

Hi @jeremy4,

Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

I’m currently following the same strategy as done on the staging site. When updating Revolution Slider all went smoothly, but when updating UpdraftPlus the same thing happened. I manually deleted the .maintenance file from my root folder and the site now works instead of showing me the infamous “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute,” however, I’ve lost access to my wp-admin panel. When I go to fondudes.com/wp-admin I get a blank screen. When I try to login through the hosting console I get

Hi,

Try to increase your memory limit to 512M

Please note that you can also update through FTP.

See Manual Plugin Update Via FTP section on the link below.

Thanks

Thanks @paul.r I increased to 512M and everything seems to be updating without problems now. Thanks!

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

@paul.r I’m reading about increasing memory to fix problems like this and I’m coming across some mixed opinions. Is there any disadvantage or penalty incurred in increasing memory to as much as 512M or increasing speed to 300 as I’ve also done? Why wouldn’t all Wordpress users increase both as much as possible in the first place? Is there a trade-off I can’t see?

Hey Jeremy,

In most cases, WordPress may exhausted your PHP memory limit when more and more plugins and process runs in the installation. By default, WordPress will attempt to increase memory allocated to PHP to 40MB (code is at the beginning of /wp-includes/default-constants.php) for single site and 64MB for multisite, so the setting in wp-config.php should reflect something higher than 40MB or 64MB depending on your setup.

The PHP time limit on the other differs in every sever configuration. Some set it 30 by default, mostly at 300 and others is less than enough to run long processes which may disrupt plugin or theme features.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.