Replace default CPT Archive page with Custom Page

Hi !
I am working on educational site where schools and colleges will be displayed along with blog posts.For this purpose I have created Schools and Colleges CPT.
Now I want to change structure of Archive pages for these cpts.I am thinking to use the Grid plugin for this task and i am pretty familiar with this plugin.
But unable to find template file or right way to complete this task…

Hi There,

• You have to setup a child theme first:
  • After that create archive-{post_type_slug}.php (e.g: archive-schools.php) files in your child theme directory with the following code:
<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/INTEGRITY/WP-INDEX.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Index page output for Integrity.
// =============================================================================

get_header();

$stack = x_get_stack();

?>

<div class="x-container max width offset">
    <div class="<?php x_main_content_class(); ?>" role="main">

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : ?>
			<?php while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
				<?php x_get_view( $stack, 'content', get_post_format() ); ?>
			<?php endwhile; ?>
			<?php else : ?>
				<?php x_get_view( 'global', '_content-none' ); ?>
		<?php endif; ?>

<?php pagenavi(); ?>

</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Hi !
Works great ! and achieved target which I wanted.
Again one more question !
How to assign custom sidebar for this ARCHIVE page…?

Hello @shriyash802,

To assign a custom sidebar to your custom post type archive, assuming that the child theme is set up, please add the following code in your child theme’s functions.php file

// Assign sidebar to custom post archives
add_filter( 'ups_sidebar', 'add_cpt_sidebar' );
function add_cpt_sidebar($sidebar){
  if ( is_post_type_archive('my_custom_post_type') && ! empty( $query->query['post_type']  == 'my_custom_post_type' )) {
    return 'ups-sidebar-my-sidebar';
  }
  return $sidebar;
}

Do not forget to forget to replace my_custom_post_type in the code above. And just make sure that you replace ups-sidebar-my-sidebar with the actual ID of your custom sidebar as shown below:

Regards.

Thanks for support.

Does this method supports for ‘Tags’ and ‘Categories’ ?

Hello Shriyash,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

Above solution is using WordPress conditional tags. You can use conditional tags to make the necessary changes. To learn more, please refer following resource.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags#A_Category_Page
https://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags#A_Tag_Page

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.