Reinstate widget areas

hello i think the problem is i have deleted my widget areas. I do remember deleting them. Is there anyway to reinstall my widget areas. It says my page has 7 other widget areas but i deleted them?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reaching out.

You mean you removed them from the sidebar? The only way to set it back is by adding it manually. Or, restore your site to when it’s still not deleted since the widgets data are stored in database.

Thanks!

Hello, i was thinking rather than restoring to a time way back (when id have to add a lot of content) could i save my site on a different theme (wp free twenty seventeen for example) and delete my theme and re install it and then switch from the temp theme to my new x theme. Does that sound like it would be ok?

Hi Richard,

Widgets placement is specific to the active theme. Activating another theme would reset it again. It’s Wordpress standard since the sidebar are registered by each theme. And since sidebar names changes per theme, activating another theme would deactivate the existing sidebar, hence, resetting the widgets again.

Why do you need to switch to other themes after restoration?

Thanks!

Hello @Rad What i think im trying to say is that i feel have messed about to much with the html on my existing site and that i would like to start with a unmodified copy of the x theme and put all my content onto it rather than trying to fix my existing theme back to the original. Can i do this?

Hi Richard,

Yes, that’s okay too and it’s much better to narrow down the possible issues.

Thanks!

Hello @Rad, if you could give me instructions on what is the best way to do this, that would be very helpful as it is something i have never done before.
Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Ah, sorry for the confusion. My first thought was you’re trying to restore it so I wondered why you need to switch themes. Then my second thought was just you’re just starting from scratch due to HTML issues.

I recommend consulting it to a webmaster or developer as the process of moving and fixing HTML issues are complex. I can’t provide any instructions as I’m not sure what to fix on your site.

Though, I still just recommend restoring your site to when the widgets are still working then just delete the current X theme and install it again in Admin > Themes > Add New > Upload Theme. Then check the widgets and re-add them again.

Thanks!

Hello Rad, so i should go back to when the widgets were working, then delete the theme from my site and then reload the theme again?
Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Are the inactive widgets are now available? If yes then there is no need. You’ll just need to move the widgets from inactive area to your preferred sidebar.

But if you wish to have a reference, then yes, restore the entire site and clone it to a staging. Then update your live site and use the staging site as your reference to where the widgets should be placed. You can use All in one migration plugin for migrating a copy of your site to the staging.

Thanks!

Hello Rad, so i cant transfer my site to another theme (say wp 2017) then delete my current x theme and then reload the new untouched x theme again to my site because when i transfer the site across to the new x theme my site will have kept the bad coding/css which i did and this will re affect the new theme…is that correct?

Thanks for your help

Where did you put your custom CSS, code? If you put your custom CSS under Theme Options > CSS, it will still affect your new theme. You should backup all your custom code then re-install the theme.

I suggest you to install the child theme so all your customizations(CSS, custom code, …) will be safe:

Regards!

Hello, so how do i select a time in the past when my them was untouched and then get it reloaded?
Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

In this case, you should contact to your hosting providers if they have the daily/monthly backups.

You can request them to roll back the backups of your website.

Regards!

Hello i am having difficulty adding my google adsense code to my site - i have added it but it is not showing - can you take a look?

Hi Richard,

Would you mind providing the URL of the site in question?

I tried checking the site that is in your licenses page but this is what I am seeing:

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.