Pro Templates and Elements not saving properly

Hi there,

I’m trying to add pages to my website. Unfortunately, using Cornerstone (or the built-in Pro equivalent) is causing issues with this. Half the time when I save the page, it reverts to the text format instead of allowing me to edit with Pro. This not only prevents me from editing with Pro again - it also removes most, if not all, Pro elements from the page.

The second issue I’m having, which I can only assume is related as the issues appeared at the same time, is the Pro Template Manager isn’t working properly. I can see the templates I’ve previously created in the Template Manager, but they don’t show up when I want to load a template to a page. When I save a template, it shows up in the Load Template dropdown for less than a few hours, then disappears again. Every time this happens, pages that I made with those templates have the first issue occur.

Is there anything I can do to help with this issue? I’ve tried disabling my CDN, refreshing browser cache, removing caching plugins and deleting those caches, and disabling other plugins.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hello @sevenagesdesign,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

It’s a peculiar problem you facing with page builder and Template manager. Please try out following solutions and let us know the outcome:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

I downloaded a backup of the site and disabled everything except for Pro and the child theme. I also removed any custom code from the child theme, including JS, PHP, and CSS, as well as followed the rest of your steps in the potential fix. The following image is what I’m getting from my local test environment any time I open up the page builder. I’ve added my login information to a secure note.

Hello @sevenagesdesign,

Thanks for sharing the details.

1. Content builder: To see if there’s any issue with Content builder, I created a test page and added few elements in the same then saved the changes. I opened the page in front end and changes are getting reflected. I then opened the page again to edit with with Content builder and I don’t see issue of changes getting reverted into text mode. However, please note that while doing so I never opened the page in Text mode as that will break the Pro theme data and you might get error message like Content edited outside content builder. I then edited few pages in Content builder and they also are working fine. To edit the page, please click Edit with Pro under Pages > All pages.

1. Template Manager: So the same test page I created, I saved the same as template. I checked the template manager and can see an entry for the template I saved. I then deleted the element I had in the page and imported the template. Over here I can see confirm the issue and it’s only showing the section and not importing the elements. However, If I have the same element already present on the page I can see the elements while importing which is quite odd.

As it’s a live website I am not allowed to fiddle with customer website. In that regards, please copy the website to a staging server and share the details in secure note for us to take a closer look for the template issue.

To create a staging server, please take a look at following article.

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-staging-environment-for-a-wordpress-site/

Thanks.

I’ve set up a staging site. Adding information to the secure note.

Hey @sevenagesdesign,

I’m sorry but I could not replicate the issue you described in your test site. In there, I’ve edited and saved the home page and it’s successful. Edits shows up in the front-end.

I then save the home page as a template and loaded it in a test page and everything was loaded (see secure note).

Would you mind recording a screencast of the issue in the staging site? If you can’t replicate it on staging, there’s most probably a something in your live site causing the issue. Is your staging site hosted in the same server?

Thanks.

I don’t have any screencasting software available on this computer, but I took a series of screenshots. The first issue is the templates not working properly. The Template Manager has a bunch of templates available, but the Load Template dropdown only has one at most (usually completely empty).

Beyond that, when I create a new page and use a template, the page doesn’t save properly. I set up a template based on an existing page and imported it.

When I save the page, it only occasionally saves properly. Most times, it’ll be missing most elements from the Pro Editor. The dashboard editor also turns into the text-based editor and removes the Pro editing capabilities and the previously added elements don’t load.

Edit: The staging server and the primary server are separate.

Hello @sevenagesdesign,

Thanks for updating the thread and sharing the details. :slight_smile:

1. Page opening in text mode: If the page is opened directly and clicked on Edit with Pro button from front end it does open the page in text mode. Now, if you click on Pro button it will give a warning message that content is modified outside content builder. I inspected the dev tools and there was a error message that indicated that issue might be with plugins. So under Plugins > Installed Plugins I deactivated all the plugins and now when you click on the Edit with Pri button, it’s working fine and page is not opening in text mode. So, I suggest you to please deactivate all the plugins and reactivate one at a time to narrow down the plugin or plugins that’s causing the problem. Here’s a screencast.
  2. Template manger and templates: Over here, as I reported the problem I noticed in my previous reply, that issue seems to have resolved and now templates I saved are importing properly along with elements. However, the issue you have reported of templates not showing up in the load template dropdown, I can confirm the same. To test if at all the issue is with template manager, I opened the page that my colleague @christian_y created and added elements into the same and saved the page as template. I then deleted the elements that was there on the page to import the template. I clicked on the Load Template option and I can see the template I saved and imported the same.

To test further I exported the templates that are already there which are not showing up on the dropdown list of Load Template and then imported the same to my local dev setup. Although the template import process went fine but in template manager, I don’t see an entry for the same template. I reloaded the page and cleared the cache but don’t see the template. In that regards, I think the template that’s already there on the website might be corrupt. I suggest you to create or save the pages as new template and then start the work as template manager and load template is working fine without any issue.

Note: I have reactivated all the plugins on the dev setup.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.