Pro Editor Not Compatible with ChatPath

Hello,

Just wanted to report a bug - if ChatPath.com’s script is installed anywhere on site (head or body) by any means, Pro’s editor will not load pages. The logo just spins round and round. If the script is removed, it loads fine.

The script is:

<script id="path-widget-tag" src="https://ep.chatpath.com/widget.js" async data-company="p1112" data-settings="w1496"></script>

We tried the script in:

1. Header before < /head >
  2. Body after < body >
  3. Body right before < /body >
  4. Using Google Tag Manager

Hi there,

Actually, it is not a bug and it is the compatibility issue with the 3rd party plugin which you have mentioned.

I suggest that you use the wp_head hook of the Wordpress to add the script and see if it works. Here is the information regarding that in our knowledgebase:

https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/customizations-actions-and-filters-in-x/208

Regretfully, we cannot provide support for 3rd party plugins or scripts as our support policy due to the fact that there is simply no way to account for all of the potential variables at play when using another developer’s plugin or script. Because of this, any questions you have regarding setup, integration, or troubleshooting any piece of functionality that is not native to X will need to be directed to the original developer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Would you be able to explain to me why this isn’t a bug in Pro and why the script is at fault?

Simply blaming the script without an explanation doesn’t serve a purpose. It isn’t support. It sure isn’t what our friends at Theme Fusion do on similar questions.

If a 3rd party script is at fault, normally a brief explanation of why will allow me to reach out to the dev and we can work on a solution. But this script is already being launched in the head using Google Tag Manager. We tried it on it’s own too, same result. Truth is, almost every script/plugin we use that places any content on a web page causes Pro’s editor to display things screwed up, not at all, or causes the editor to not load. Pro’s editor is AWFUL with existing scripts. It’s hard to believe all of these devs avoided best practices. But playing along I’m happy to go to Chat Path and explain to them why their script is screwed up and how to get it to work with one of the more popular WP themes. Just tell me where they went wrong…

Hi there,

Actually, the problem is that finding other developers plugin bug will be a huge time-consuming work and as I explained in my previous message there might be multiple factors involved and we can not afford to do such detections for each and every plugin is there in the Wordpress community.

I’m sure that you will understand this is not a case related directly to our Pro builder and something 3rd party scripts causing the issue.

I will be glad to take a look at the case and spend a little bit of time to find the reason if you give us the URL/User/Pass of your website using the secure note functionality of the post. But there is no guarantee that we may be able to find the reason for the limitation of time we are allowed to spend for each thread to be fair to all other customers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Chris,

Maybe it’s the culture at Themeco or maybe it’s laziness, understaffing…I have no idea. But the whole purpose of support is to assist with the theme as it relates to the person’s install. Yes, this includes interaction with other plugins. Nobody is asking you to provide support for a 3rd party plugin. This is about Pro misbehaving with 3rd party plugins/scripts and determining the root cause.

Can you imagine if Microsoft told anyone that called for support “Oh sorry, we don’t diagnose issues when using our product with 3rd party software.” What?? If that’s the case, what is support’s purpose? Every install of Windows…and the Pro theme will be interacting with 3rd party software. Do you follow?

In this instance you’ve both taken the tact of blaming a 3rd party script and at the same time cannot explain how you know it’s the script’s fault. This leaves me with both a broken editor and also nothing to bring to the 3rd party dev to help resolve the issue.

This keeps happening lately every time I write support. Every single issue, no matter what it is, is simply passed off as an issue with the plugin - never ever the Pro theme - and no support is provided. You’re severely eroding the value of your license.

Do you guys know what your competition is doing? The guys at Avada assist with every issue I’ve ever brought to them, even if it’s very obvious that the issue really has little to do their theme. Sometimes I expect them to rightfully tell me the issue should be taken up with the 3rd party dev instead, yet they ALWAYS help. Their support is by far the best in the business. The dev at Salient - same thing. Always willing to help with issues between his theme and 3rd party software. Themeco used to be like that, but after Pro came out - it took a sharp turn downhill and your response is now the default response to most support threads I start. You guys have to get better or folks will continue licensing other themes.

Hello There,

We apologized if you feel bad about our previous responses.

Anyways, I have investigated the issue further. I went ahead in my local testing server and I added the following code in my Pro child theme:

// Add Chat Path
// =============================================================================
function add_chatpath(){ ?>
  <script id="path-widget-tag" src="https://ep.chatpath.com/widget.js" async data-company="p1112" data-settings="w1496"></script>
<?php }
add_action('x_after_site_end', 'add_chatpath');
// =============================================================================

I then tried to load the header builder and I do not have any issues. I was able to do the editing of the header and Chat Path is displaying and working perfectly. You can check out my screenshot below:

Would you please try adding the custom code I have and see if this would work in your site as well?

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi, I implemented the code as instructed and removed the prior implementation but it has made no difference. I didn’t think it would as our prior implementation follows best practices when injecting the code, but tried it anyway.

Anyway - here’s a quick video so you can see what I see: https://ufile.io/mokuy

Hello There,

I have seen the video and tried to replicate it in my local testing server. I do not experience any issue on my install. You can check out this new screenshot again with the content editor: http://prntscr.com/gqkbra

A loading screen could mean several things:

• Maybe you have exhausted your PHP memory limit. We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. Please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
  • Or maybe there is a JS error on the page. It would be nice if we can investigate this further. There must be an error somewhere in the console which will give us a hint why it is not loading. Could you please give us access to your site so that we can take a closer look?

Best Regards.

Memory limit was already at 256MB and that didn’t make much sense as the cause - how could an external browser-side script cause WP memory issues?

Anyway, good news is I alerted the script developer as well and long story short, they pushed out fixes this morning…which explains why it works today - for both me and you. They didn’t say what the issue was but it’s fixed. I appreciate your help and willingness to get to a solution. Thanks buddy.

Glad it’s okay now :wink: and you’re most welcome!