Pro broken after 2.1.2 update

Hi guys,

Site was working (and still is working) but editor will not load a page. This just started happening after the Pro update and there have been no other plugin updates.

Either selecting Pro->Content or going to the Wordpress Page editor and selecting “Edit with Pro” results in the same thing - the start up screen with swirling circle…that never ends.

I have used 2 browsers, one of which does not save cache.
Any ideas?

Thanks
S.

Hi there,

This sounds like an issue we’ve seen with old PHP versions. Can you try the latest point release that was just pushed out (2.1.3) and let us know if that makes a difference? Thanks! If not, we could be more helpful if you wouldn’t mind sharing WP and FTP credentials in a secure note.

My PHP version is 7.1.
I don’t see the 2.1.3 update as being available to me. (I have no pending updates).
Thanks
S.

Hi @skyhawkmedia,

I tried to access your website but the link you have provided is not working. The version 2.1.3 is released. If you can not see the update please back up your website completely and do the update manually by downloading the latest version from your Themeco Dashboard.

Thank you.

Sorry, it’s just a typo… it’s .co.uk (obviously)

EDIT:
Since the previous message, 2.1.3 has now appeared on my dashboard as an update, and I have updated.
No difference to the original problem though.

Hi There,

I was able to load your contact page:

And your home page as well:

Could you please double check again in the incognito/private mode?

Let us know how it goes!

Well, that’s just crayzee-talk!! :slight_smile:
I have tried with Chrome (normal), Chrome (incognito) and Opera (which is set not to save cache). I just can’t edit anything. How can this be, if you can get in ok?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
S.

Hi there,

Another staff here, and I can edit your pages in cornerstone too in the same browsers that you tried.

Have you tried it on another PC? Does it load longer (perhaps due to internet)? It loads almost instant on my end.

Thanks!

Well it is odd.
I have now rebooted…I know, right? Why? Doesn’t make much sense but I did it anyway.
No difference.

I can get to my site…quickly, see the dashboard…quickly, as soon as I hit Pro->Content…spinning wheel…forever.
I have now tried on Firefox too…again, why? no logic, but I tried anyway.

I’m going to have to revert to a backup pre 2.1.2 if there is no solution here.

EDIT: I have restored back to Pro 2.0.4. My pages load instantly and are editable.
Sorry, but there’s something wrong here, guys.

Thanks
S.

Hello There,

I have checked your site and it seems that you are using CloudFlare.

After you have updated the Pro theme and any other plugin updates, please login to your CloudFlare account and purge your site cache so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors such as what you are having now.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi,

It’s amazing that you guys are supporting over a weekend! Thank you!

I honestly think you’re misunderstanding how CloudFlare works. It is not a site cache. It will generate a cached version of the site ONLY IF the site is down, but otherwise it is a pass-through.

Also, logically, if CloudFlare WAS serving up a cached version of the site…then it would be serving up a working version, not a broken version, right?

Also logically, you guys have apparently seen my site working. So you would be doing so through CloudFlare, just like me. CloudFlare would not serve up one version for you and another for me.

Anyhow, just to tick the box, I’ve purged the cache…and, big surprise, no difference.

EDIT:
I’ve copied the source HTML from the non-working (spinning wheel) and the working Pro->Content page. There is nearly no difference. So my question: what makes the wheel stop spinning and the page be rendered?

Thanks
S.

Hey @skyhawkmedia,

Sorry for the confusion. I see you’ve reverted to 2.0.4. In this case, please copy your site over to a staging server so we could check the latest parent theme and without third party plugins, DNS, etc. without interrupting your live site’s operation.

Thanks.

Hi,

OK so I’ve set up a subdomain and copied everything over, and…frustratingly, everything now works! Aaarrgh!

The site is exactly the same except for one thing. As I am using a sub-domain, my PRO license is not valid and so I could not automatically update it. So I had to delete and install manually. That’s the only difference. All plugins are still running.

Clearly a the original site is operating in a parallel dimension where the laws of physics are not the same!

Thanks
S.

EDIT: This may be a red-herring but, if I inspect both the working page and the broken page I see an error in the broken one. See secure note.

Hi there,

How about moving your staging live? Maybe it will overwrite any internal cache and since it’s the same copy.

The error is related to Ember used in the builder, and it should only appear where it’s loaded (builder). And could be due to internal cache too.

Please note the CF uses cache, there is no point in using it if all requests are just going to pass-through, which means it still served by your site. And all CDN like CF served the cached files for the purpose of dividing the traffic (hence, not served from the original site). It will serve the cache working or not, and the main problem with that is CF has no way of telling if your site is updated for it to generate a new copy of cache.

Thanks!

I’m using CF because it provides SSL, not because it provides cache.

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion, I’m not saying you use CF because of cache. But CF uses cache(or similar) regardless of setup you use. Even if you turn off it, it will still work as CDN, and CDN creates a mirror of files across cloud servers. And since they are duplicate files, it’s also similar to cache since it’s not the original copy. Purging is needed too.

I have similar experience and turning off caches and purging doesn’t take effect, only when I remove CF nameservers on my domain.

Have you moved your staging to live site?

Thanks!

Hi,

As I’m sure you know, it is no trivial matter to move a site from a subdomain to the main domain so I’m disinclined to do that unless there is a specific logical reason for doing so. (I copied all the files from the main site to the subdomain so I don’t see the point of copying them back again).

However, I’m going to investigate CF some more, as you say, and see if I can uncover anything. As CF provides my SSL I will have to turn all that off on my site temporarily.

I’ll report back shortly.

Thanks
S.

Hi,

OK, some progress (and at the same time, more confusion).

I turned off CloudFlare caching. It has a Dev mode whereby it routes all traffic direct to the site, so I put this on. It made no difference.

Then I switched off CF altogether…in other words, I just used CF nameservers (DNS only). In doing this, I had to switch my site over to HTTP. This WORKED!

So…finally…

I switched caching back on, and changed the setting in CF so that HTTP was NOT redirected to HTTPS.

Now

• if I access Wordpress via HTTP, the link Pro->Content works.
  • if I access Wordpress via HTTPS, the link Pro->Content does NOT work.

Not sure where that leaves us.

Thanks
S.

Hi S.,

I’ve accessed https://skyhawkpictures.co.uk with https:// which I can tell is using Pro theme version 2.1.3 with SSL certificate issued by cloudflaressl.com, however I can get the builder working fine as you can see:

That’s really weird that this issue happens only at your end, I can see you have tried using many browsers, would you mind to just try another PC? Just wanted to narrow this issue down to either a caching issue or not.

Thanks.

Only my PC and only from 2.1.2 onwards. 2.0.4 was fine. Bizarre.
I’ll try on different machines and report back.