Previous Version of Pro request

Hello - please provide a link to the previous version of Pro.

The elements are not compatible with the new version at all. Background images disappeared, Custom buttons not working anymore - ridiculous!!!

Hi @j300bac,

The previous version is always available on the dashboard page. What you’re describing sounds like a number of common issues people have been facing unrelated to the update contents itself. I’d recommend reading through the release notes: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/release-notes-pro-3-0-x-7-0-cornerstone-4-0/64267

As mentioned on another post, before jumping into rolling back, it would be great if you wouldn’t mind letting us check some of your sites. Feel free to post a URL here, or use the secure note feature. This way we can advise on why things are not working correctly. If you roll back, this will limit you from updating in the future without discovering what is preventing the update from being possible.

Hi!
I have the same issue. The background images I have used as a banner are not working anymore and the customized buttons either disappeared or have turned into a tiny red square. What can I do to fix this? I have already updated to the latest version (4.02). Thanks!

An example page:

Never mind! I have fixed the issue by updating the X theme as well:)

@casenine glad to hear you got it working!

1 Like

Hi Pro team - So you’ve fixed some issues on the update but not all issues unfortunately. Mainly with the buttons as it goes.

Now my buttons are customised to work in a unique way and it took a while to perfect them hence why I think it’s important that Pro fix these issues.

I have added screenshots of the latest updated Pro version of the site where these errors have arisen in my notes.

I have also rolled back Pro to the old version and provided login access to the stage site where you will see the buttons as they are supposed to look and work. Unfortunately these functions do not carry over to the updated Pro with all caches cleared on both site and browser.

I hope you can figure out the fix for these and let me know what the issue with the update is.

Many thanks -

See details and instructions in private notes.

Hi J,

That really looks like a caching related, would you mind setting up a staging site and update the staging site first, so we can do investigate without causing downtime on the live site.

Thanks,

The site isn’t live right now so please feel free to update it and do what you need to do.

Personally I don’t believe it is a caching issue bearing in mind I don’t have cloudflare activated and all caching plugins were switched off. The new update does not play well with this particular caching plugin unfortunately so when developing it’s always off. It’s not browser cache related because it was brought to my attention by the marketing department using different screens/browsers.

The theme is validated so please go ahead and update to the latest version once you have recorded the functionality on how it should work with the old version giving you a better perspective on what must be achieved.

Many thanks

Hey J,

I found that you have a Global Block inside the button.

Removing the block, it shows like this (contents blurred on purpose):

Though it worked in the previous version, the setup is really not recommended.

About the “MARGIN DISAPPEARED:” issue, would you mind providing more context?

Thanks.

Erm Christian with all due respect - global blocks were created to help us get out of these situations where things couldn’t be achieved without changing templates and this website is a perfect example. There are blocks within blocks derestricting everything!

As a high licence holder and counting (expected 100% increase in the next 12 months) I think this should go back to the developer and reinstate what was possible. It makes ZERO sense going back a step when we were making so much progress going forward. I was the very first person to request customising the X header back in 2015/16 requesting the function of changing the templates to allow 2x widget areas in the right hand side and suggesting that this should be an out of box feature (I think it was Friech that helped me) A year or so down the line - Pro was born.

As a result I will be sticking with the old Pro version if the new version doesn’t support the old function. I cannot innovate my web build style pushing boundaries if the developers want to restrict it. I have reinstated the shortcode that you removed to achieve the required look again.

I understand that “it wasn’t really” what it was supposed to do - but that comes down to creativity and it worked seamlessly with a beautiful fade in function. I preferred it without the button when I did it originally but the client needed to make it idiot proof and they are experts in their field making valid points. Both button and button in a button provide links.

Look through your forum and you will see your staff recommending the use of buttons for out of box features that one might not realise that they are capable of. This is a perfect example of using Pro for PRO use.

I’m rolling the site back and I am requesting that this gets shown to them to show them what can be achieved using global blocks. They are free to navigate the entire website and see just how much global blocks have changed the entire game and this site is a perfect example of what can be achieved with what was PRO.

In regards to “elaborate on losing padding” - see website live version using old Pro. Then see the screenshot which I provided on my ticket in the private area. I cannot elaborate more than a screenshot buddy… The margin disappears between the two buttons. It’s kind of obvious - it’s a minor but when you might have to change this across a lot of sites it can be tedious.

Requesting that you remove all images of hidden site please - this is not launched yet and behind closed doors for legal reasons.

Glad we figured out that this was a Pro problem and not palmed off on to caching…

Thanks (and disappointed with response)

Hi @j300bac,

I’m sorry you’re having this issue where the design is no longer the same as a previous version. It is certainly not our intention or motivation to restrict anything with the changes in this update.

As mentioned by Christian, we can not recommend using a Global Block shortcode inside of a button. While this worked previously, it is not a supported use case nor how we ever intended that shortcode to be used. As such, it isn’t really something we would test. The purpose of the shortcode is primarily a way to let developers call a Global Block from somewhere outside of our builders, or populating a content area like the “Content Area: Off Canvas” element. We don’t recommend using it anywhere that would be considered “inline content” like the text of a button.

Beyond the general purpose, there are technical and performance considerations. A Global Block is by nature almost the same as a page. It has at minimum one Section, Row, and Column, then the elements inside. From a performance standpoint, you’re invoking many of the same code paths needed to output a whole page. From a DOM structure standpoint, you’ve just added many more layers of divs just to add some content within your button.

You’re more than welcome to push the boundaries of what is possible by experimenting like this. Just know that by coloring outside the lines you might find yourself in unsupported configurations that could potentially break as we make changes to the product. To be clear, we won’t be reverting anything from this update to

All that being said, there are supported strategies and other techniques we could employ here and possibly reach the same end result. For example, if you’re trying to make one simple place for the client to update information you could use the Dynamic Content feature. We recently added a way to pull through data from an ACF Option page. Using ACF you could register an Option page with all kinds of different global fields like titles, links, etc. Then you can use Pro’s Dynamic Content feature to populate the fields of your button from that data. You can also source the information from post meta and have fields change on a per page basis. Many developers are using functionality like this to prevent the client from accessing the design, but giving them control over select portions of content. Hopefully this gives you some ideas on managing data globally.

Alexander - as requested previously please remove all screenshots taken by Christian in the thread please.

R.E Dynamic content and ACF - could you provide a link to the documentation supporting this with perhaps an outline of how one could achieve what I had spent time achieving using the older version?

It’s a shame that you’re essentially taking it back a step - noticed that you ignored the margin issue too and concentrated on what you’re not prepared to do. Somewhat disappointing support here…

Again, can I ask if you’re a support officer or a member of staff with shares/management interest? I would like to request that this case is forwarded and highlighted to developers as I believe your statement of “The purpose of the shortcode is primarily a way to let developers call a Global Block from somewhere outside of our builders” somewhat contradicts itself i.e further down the line are you going to stop this function working with WooCommerce descriptions making the same claim? Or even tabs? Headers? If this is the case then my faith in such a new feature moving backwards isn’t too high.

A work around to achieve what I have built already would be appreciated.

Once again - please do not post screenshots of this site on this and or any forum.

Thanks

Hey J,

Regarding the “MARGIN DISAPPEARED” issue, I’ll understand if you’ll be disappointed but the way you spaced those button elements was incorrect. If a support staff advised you of this setup, would you mind referring us to the thread so we can correct it?

The incorrect setup is this. You used the Graphic’s margins to create the space and though it could be done, it’s not the intention of the Graphic margin options to create a space around the Button element.

The correct option is the Margin option of the Button.

I understand your design might be to make the Button’s Graphic span full height of the button. We have other customers with the same design goal so please watch how to achieve that in the video below.

The change that could have affected your button setup might be this:

The change was made in version 3.0.0 of Pro and 4.0.0 of Cornerstone. That change is for the improvement of the element.

Regarding your other questions:

We don’t yet have a documentation about the Dynamic Content feature but it’s usage is straightforward. You can read the details in our Changelog here: https://theme.co/changelog/#theme-pro-2-5-0-theme-x-6-5-0-cornerstone-3-5-0

Regarding ACF Pro, here’s the documentation: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/integrated-plugins-acf-pro/49

Alex is our core and lead developer of Pro and we have no plans to stop the Global Blocks feature.

Please elaborate on what you want to achieve in separate threads or refer us to the threads if you have discussed them previously. Screenshots are very helpful but we need more context.

Thank you.

How can you not know what I want to achieve when it is live on the install that I have provided credentials for? Really? I truly hope this is a misread over an avoidance…
SO exactly what we’ve been talking about in this entire thread - please go back to the install where you will see the exact set up reinstated after you had removed it without rectifying your mistakes. ELABORATION Please show me how to achieve what I had achieved already using Pro Elements as stated by Alex:

Hey @j300bac,

Ok, I’m sorry I now realized you are referring to the “Button within a Button” setup which we said is incorrect. Just know that never in my years of service did I avoid a thread.

Instead of adding the Global Block shortcode inside the Button text, just add the Global Block element below the Button element. Please watch the setup replication below.

I already posted the correct setup for the button in my previous reply.

Alex’s statement was referring to a general example:

Is that what you need with the Button setup? All I saw was a broken button due to incorrect setup.

Thanks.

Hi @j300bac

Again, can I ask if you’re a support officer or a member of staff with shares/management interest? I would like to request that this case is forwarded and highlighted to developers as I believe your statement of “The purpose of the shortcode is primarily a way to let developers call a Global Block from somewhere outside of our builders” somewhat contradicts itself i.e further down the line are you going to stop this function working with WooCommerce descriptions making the same claim? Or even tabs? Headers? If this is the case then my faith in such a new feature moving backwards isn’t too high.

My apologies for not introducing myself. I think Christian and the team can help you from here, but I did want to clarify on something for you regarding the statement above.

The Global Blocks feature didn’t originally have a shortcode, but we added one because it gives developers more ways to use them outside of the builders - that doesn’t mean we can support all those permutations. It just means we want to expose the functionality. It’s the responsibility of the developer to follow best practices, and use those features within reason. I’m saying that using a Global Block shortcode in a button, while technically possible, is not how Global Blocks were intended to be used therefore not a supported use case.

Anywhere you’re outputting block level content (like WooCommerce descriptions to use your example) is a great place to use a Global Block. There really isn’t much risk that anything we change would effect that at all, and in the case of an issue with Global Blocks down the line in one of those areas, we’d be willing to fix it.

A middle ground would be something like Tabs or Accordion content. There’s a high possibility for potential issues using a Global Block shortcode in those areas. You could run into cases where certain elements inside the Global Block don’t behave correctly because they are not designed to be used inside a Tab. You most likely won’t have a problem with most elements and a simple one column layout, but I could foresee strange things happening with more complicated Global Blocks.

Your case of placing a Global Block shortcode as an inline value like the label of a button is on the extreme end and regretfully something we can’t promise will work.

Hopefully that helps you get an idea of the spectrum.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.