Preview and live not loading following cornerstone update

I updated to the new cornerstone and now the preview wont load content and the edits won’t show in live site.

I also regularly get this error: “The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.”

I have deactivated all plugins but this didn’t fix the issue.

Also I have been contemplating doing the complete upgrade to the pro theme for this site so if this is the best resolution I’m happy to do this?

Thanks.

Hello @Micjwoods,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please try following general solution:

1. Please make sure that you are running PHP 7 or later on the server as running old version of PHP can have potential issues. You can refer following document for server requirement https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/1

2. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

3. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

4. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

If nothing helps, please give us WP Admin and FTP access in a Secure Note.

Thanks.

Thanks.

have set php to 7.2.

Plugins etc are all up to date.

Cleared cache.

not using CDN (i think ??)

no custom CSS or java script templates.

not sure how to reset the htaccess file - there is a htaccess and htaccess.bak file in my root folder which should I update?

Hey @Micjwoods,

I see you’re using an old version of X but you’re using the latest Cornerstone version. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/1951. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

If that does not help, can you try downgrading to PHP 7.1. I’ve seen some users having an issue with 7.2

Thanks.

Ah ok well in that case i might as well go ahead and upgrade to Pro since I have the license.

Can you point me to the guide for this I cant seem to find it on APEX.

I found the theme install guide but i have a question about the child theme. Do i need to install the Pro child theme? and if so will this affect my site at all given its currently on an X child theme?

Cheers,

Hello @Micjwoods,

Thanks for updating thread.

As you are using X Child theme, you need to install Pro Child theme and move all the customizations from former to the latter one. Generally it should not cause any sort of issues as child theme inherit the properties and functions of parent theme.

Thanks.

Hi there. As i’m fairly basic at this can you provide advice on how to move customisation to the Pro child theme once installed?

Hi again. After reading a few more support posts i decided to go ahead with the upgrade to pro and install the child theme. Everything looks ok except for 2 main issues:

1. Inspector and live preview do not show anything - therefore cannot edit!!

2. My blog and shop items show the following errors:

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/miccam12/public_html/inclusivesportdesign.com/wp-includes/media.php on line 1206

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/miccam12/public_html/inclusivesportdesign.com/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3378

It shows up in the blog feed and in the blog itself. Any ideas how to fix this?

Hi There,

You are seeing a PHP warning message. You can get rid of this message by turning off the debug mode. You can do this by changing the false to true on that line of code below from your wp-config.php file.

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Thanks,

thanks friech.

I changed to true and it just seemed to show more warning messages all over the site! So I set it back to false. I then rolled back my php version from 7.2 to 7.0 this caused a fatal error so rolled up to 7.1 and this resolved the media.php error but i still got the following error so i rolled back to 5.6 and now there are no php errors anywhere as far is i can see. so thats a win although the earlier recommendation was to run at least php version 7.

Also it looks like this has helped resolve the inspector issue BUT the live preview is still not working , this is my main (and original) issue to resolve. I still can’t properly build/edit pages.

I need this issue resolved ASAP. Thanks!

Thanks.

Hi There,

Upon further testing, I see some console log errors.

TypeError: stack is undefined

Also some errors due to conflict with other plugins. Could you please try updating your outdated plugins and then try re-testing your site again. You can also delete Cornerstone plugin and re-install it if necessary.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

how did this end uo please? I have had similar issues

The issue is resolved - after emptying updating all plugins (even those I currently have deactivated). Few issues with slow load speed but the page editor is working fine.

@Micjwoods Thank you very much for the reply,

@kirk74 Please do a testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If that did not work, please create a new thread and provide us your site URL and login credentials in a secure note so we can take a closer look, you might have a different culprit of the issue on your end.

How To Post A Support Question

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.