Page not mobile friendly: content wider than screen (breakdown)

Hi, so in an attempt to try and solve the issue where google reports the pages as not mobile friendly (and then dings them in SEO), I’m presenting this here as something that Themeco needs to look into a bit further than the replies in the past that have said to ‘ignore it, won’t be too bad’ or ‘beyond scope of support, sorry’. I feel like it is important, and perhaps easier to fix than we think?

So I created a test page … have tested it with header/footer and container/no container, and the results successfully passed google’s test. You can see one test page here (blank, container, header, footer, no content):
https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly?id=Z1sJItROItc0kL5RWPdT-Q

Then I created the same, and simply added an 800px wide image to the content (which should responsively size down on mobile, which it does, visually on my phone) and the test failed:
https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly?id=IRtlf3b6fk_MoAk_ENkfIw

These pages are literally the same, with the failing page containing an image. Very basic. Very standard.

I’m trying to avoid the “this is google’s fault and doesn’t matter” vs “this is cornerstone’s fault” discussion and just see if perhaps this jars anyone’s brain on how to fix it (in future releases if Cornerstone/Pro) or workarounds that I can do to the content (image) that makes it behave?

Thanks for taking the time to read this through.
-Chris

HI @atblue,

Thanks for sharing us your input. But before I forward this thread to our developer, we usually recommend to check this thread below to setup your site responsive.

You could adjust the image/content according to the size of screen size you want.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thanks, Nico … appreciate the link/thought, but doesn’t apply to this. I’d rather not hide an image on mobile, I’d rather it size down automatically to the screen size, which is what most responsive websites do and I assume that is what one means when they say Pro is responsive out of the box. I’m not trying to get fancy here … it’s just an image. And I’m not saying it doesn’t size down visually, when you look at it on the phone, but something is happening with your code that Google doesn’t like and I’m only trying to understand why.

I would imagine others feel the same.

1 Like

Hi @atblue,

I understand what you mean and maybe there are some confusion due to robots.txt. But responsiveness is not just about the size, it also related to the change in breakpoints. Else, it will be just image optimization :slight_smile:

But before we go further with the discussion. Would you mind disabling your site’s robots.txt first?

The mobile-friendly test by Google can’t fully see your sites since it’s being blocked. The styling, scripts aren’t loaded, it will, of course, not going to respond. Then let’s try checking it again.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks @atblue for updating the thread and for your feedback.