Page layout breaking

I’m adding 2 more screen captures for you to look at. This is a bigger issue than just duplicating a button.

The first video I go back to that locations page and manually add another button and it breaks at that button again. I then add a text element in one of the columns near the top of the page, it does fine. So I add another row to the bottom of the page, add a text element into each column of that new row and the page breaks at that spot again showing shortcodes again.

The second video I make a new page, create a new section, row 1 is 1 column has a headline in it, row 2 is 4 columns and I put 2 images and 1 text element in each one. I then duplicate the section a bunch of times eventually breaking it, with no buttons being used at all.

This may be an issue with the duplication feature overall. I’m going to rebuild the locations page for my client 1 element at a time all the way through and screen cast it as well. If it too breaks, I’ll post it for you as well.

I made a brand new page for this and added every element one at a time, didn’t duplicate anything at all and it eventually broke before I was done. I did a screen cast of this from start to finish. It’s about 1 hour and 16 minutes long. You can see how I start and then skip ahead to the last minute or two and you’ll see the outcome. I’m uploading the video right now to YouTube and will post in a secure note once it’s done uploading.

Hello There,

I have save your page as a Cornerstone template and tested it over our local testing server. I have made a test using your page and I do not encounter any issues when duplicating a section, row, columns, text and button elements on my local testing server. I do experienced that my local testing server is getting slower and slower while adding more and more elements.

Could you please create a staging server so that we can differentiate how the theme’s performance in your current server. I am suspecting that this has to do with your server, the file size of the entire page and the time limit in executing the editor.

To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Thanks.

Ok I just did that. Installed AMPPS on my MacBook pro, installed a fresh copy of Wordpress and added X Theme, made 1 page, setup the section like my client’s site and then started duplicating everything.

Yes it moves much faster on the local machine. I created the section then I duplicated it. Saved. Viewed. And kept doing this. By the time I got to my 18th section it broke. The exact same thing it’s been doing showing shortcodes on the page but within Cornerstone everything looks just fine.

I removed a couple sections and manually added them back and it again broke on section 18.
Each section has 2 rows. The first row has 1 column with 1 element in it. The second row within each section has 4 columns, each column with 2 images, 1 text element and 1 button.

I don’t have the screen cast software on this computer but can do this back at my office when I’m in next if you want to see a video of it.

If this is server related, I have to believe it’s a memory issue??? It can’t be a timeout or execution time issue because on my local machine it’s nearly instantaneous when I click save.

AMPPS is running on all the default values with PHP 5.6
If you want me to increase something let me know and I’ll try.

Is there a limit to how many elements can be on a page?

I noticed yesterday it was breaking on element ID 323 both on this website and another running x theme. And then on my local machine it broke with section 18. Each section had 18 elements in them. 18*18 is 324.

Right now on that locations page there are 312 elements and it’s breaking when you add another button, sometimes breaking when you add a different element.

The common theme here though is breaking once you have 312-324 elements on the page.

Hi there,

mmm… Interesting finding. We need to check that for details. One thing which will help us a lot is that you gave us the template file of the temporary page you have created on the local machine. You can do it by accessing the page and click on templates:

Then click on save and then click on download. Then upload that file to a file sharing service and give us the link so we can have the same case at hand without having to create all those stuff ourselves.

We can test that in our installation. This is usually heavily dependant on the server setup. So, for example, you can increase the PHP memory limit to 512MB and make the PHP Execution time limit 300s.

Thank you.

Ok just to be sure I wasn’t crazy I made a page from scratch on my local machine and followed the same steps I’ve explained. When I got to 17 sections (306 elements) everything was good and I took screen shots and saved the template at that point. That is the template I’m linking to in this post.

I then made the 18th section and it broke. Here are the screen shots of that.

And from Cornerstone

So hopefully you load this template, duplicate section 17, giving you 18 sections and lots of elements, and it breaks for you too :slight_smile:
My local machine php memory is set to -1

Here is a the file.

Hi there,

I tried your template and it works okay on my installation, there is no breaking. I even add more sections. Plus, I checked again your site and it’s a bit too slow as of now. Are you on shared hosting? Could you try upgrading your PHP to 5.6 or greater? Some features of the bundled plugins or the builder may not work in older version of PHP. Plus, please set your site’s post max to at least 60mb? With low post max, the ajax data may suffer if the content gets too long, plus, given that any inline image could be added to it directly.

Thanks!

On my local machine I’m running PHP 5.6 and I changed the post_max to 64M and it did not have any impact at all. I still create a page as described and load the template file I sent you, then duplicate section 17 and bam, it breaks.

What are some other settings I can try to change? Once we figure this out on my local machine I can make changes to the server. We lease the live server so everything on it are clients of ours and we are looking to upgrade it. But seeing that I experience the exact same issue on my local machine I’m not convinced that it’s a server performance issue, but that it could be a server setting issue if it’s not something with Cornerstone.

Are you able to send m your php.ini file from your local machine that I can load here locally?

In your previous reply you said
“I tried your template and it works okay on my installation, there is no breaking. I even add more sections.”

The template I sent you has 17 sections and works fine. When you duplicate section 17, so you now have 18 with even more elements it breaks. Is that was you are doing or did you just run the template and just add a new, blank section? You are duplicating the section aren’t you?

Just want to be sure because I’ve tried this on a third server and am experiencing the same problems…

Hi there,

I am another support guy and I also did try your template and be able to go to section 23 by Duplicating the section 17 with no problem. I also experienced a little bit of slowness so that is really an issue here.

I installed the WP SeverInfo plugin on your live website and I see that you increased the Memory Limit 512MB. It seems that even 512MB is not enough for that much of the sections or maybe I am wrong but now we see 2 cases of the local environments that we could go beyond section 18.

I used MAMP on my local installation and here is my server info that might be of your interest to compare with yours:

Needless to say the PHP version which I use is 7.1.1. Thank you.

Ok, now I’m able to see a configuration that works.

I changed my PHP version on Ampps to 7.1 and it made no effect.

I installed MAMP and using the default configuration everything works.

Do your developers know what setting could be causing this? Is it PHP related or Apache related and if so, which settings?

It is working on MAMP with the following PHP settings, all of which are the same or higher on AMPPS which does not work:
PHP version 7.1.8 on MAMP and AMPPS
max_execution_time 30
max_file_uploads 20
max_input_nesting_level 64
max_input_time 60
max_input_vars 1000
memory_limit 256M
post_max_size 32M

is there an apache setting I should be looking for?

Hi there,

I’m back again, I did duplicate them as per instruction.

Could you provide the configuration where it’s not working? You could compare that to the new configuration that you’re using. And as I recommend from my previous reply, please increase your site’s post max. Your new configuration has 32mb, while your current site has 8mb which is just enough for single image size.

I have both PHP 5.6 and 7.0 and it runs okay.

Thanks!

to add more information…
I made another template that is 28 sections from MAMP, all works fine. I took that template and loaded it into my AMPPS install and it is broke at the same spot still, section 18

I then checked the database for the cornerstone data in the _postmeta table cornerstone_data field and they are identical. The post_content data on both are identical as well. So it’s not an issue with Cornerstone saving the data to the database.

Ok I just did that on the live server and it made not difference. I made a new page and it still breaks when I add the 18th section. All the data is saved to the database correctly though as it is on my local installs.

Hi there,

Then maybe your AMPPS has the same configuration as your live site.

I checked again and looks like the recommendation that I like you to try isn’t being implemented on your live site yet. Your live site PHP version is still too old, and post max value is still too low.

You said it works on MAMP and you shows us the configuration, please try that configuration on your live site too. You will have to contact your hosting provider in order to do that.

Thanks!

The live site post_max_size was set to 64M

I have PHP 5.6.30 installed on this domain now and can verify both.

The page still breaks.

As I mentioned earlier, the content within the database is identical on the broken page and on MAMP where it works correctly. So it does not seem to be an issue with saving the data.

Hi there,

That is correct. So we established that this is indeed related to server settings and not the core code of the Cornerstone. I suggest that you go to File > Edit Template > PHP > 5.6.30 and copy all information and send it to your hosting service provider and ask them to give you the options exactly like the one you sent them.

If they refuse to do so you strongly need to consider changing your hosting service provider. As mentioned before we already have a service that you can consider.

Unfortunately, we can not be of a more help regarding and this needs to be fixed by your hosting service.

Thank you for your understanding.

What program am I going to File > Edit Template > PHP > 5.6.30 ?
I don’t have any options like that in MAMP which is the only place I am able to get this to run correctly.

I had all PHP settings changed on the live server to the MAMP version that runs correctly, and it still breaks.

Would you be willing to give me a coupon for 1 month of hosting on your hosting platform to try it out?

Hi there,

We couldn’t really verify the issue and test your MAMP and AMPPS setup, but It’s all working fine in my MAMP, AMPPS, and XAMPP.

Maybe what we need to do now is focus on your live site and find the issue. Are you on shared hosting? There should be no limit on how many sections and content you should add unless the host itself can’t handle or doesn’t much have that power to process the bigger content. I randomly see preview error too (from your live site) in which due to slow loading of the previews. Is there a way we could test this on another host?

I tried your content on my live site and it doesn’t have this issue too.

Thanks!