Old x-theme - breaks when updating

Hi,

Sorry my English, but I hope you understand.

I have a client with an old wordpress installation. She are using an X-child-renew theme with Visual Composer plugin. Earlier this year she found out that Visual Composer had stopped working back-end. When she tries to edit pages she gets the message «Loading Visual Composer…» and nothing happens. Everything looks fine front-end.

Unfortunately I’m not the one that made this website, so I do not know the history on updates and so on. But I see that the site are poorly updated and there are a little chaos back-end.

I have tried to update the Visual Composer plugin. It fixed the problem back-end, but now nothing will show front-end.
I thought this came because the x-theme very also old and not updated. Then I bought the x-theme and updated this. Then many plug-ins crashed and the custom design in the childe-theme are gone.
Is there anything I could do with this with out making a whole new design/child theme?

Hi @Kristine,

Thanks for writing in.

No worries with your english we could understand it.

In this case, the best thing to do is that you will duplicate your setup in a development site or other domain. At that point, you will fix it from there because it would be best that you will not destroy or ruin the original site.

You can check the link below for guide on how to duplicate site.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. :slight_smile: .

All testes that I have done are at a development site :slight_smile:

I’m just wondering if there is anything to do with the problem.
As I said, when I’'m just updating the plugin it breaks front-end, and if I update the x-theme, the custom design get lost.

Is the answer to my question that I have to update everything, then make a new childe-theme with the design?

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! With a legacy child theme (X-child-renew theme), it seems that the stylesheet is no longer returning the new location of the renew stack styles. With our last update of X we needed to restructure some things in the theme as we continue to revamp in preparation for various coming changes. You can see more detailed information about this in our changelog: https://theme.co/changelog/#theme-x-4-3-3

if you were using Renew on your site, you would want to update your @import statement from:
@import url( '../x/framework/css/site/stacks/renew.css' );

To the following:
@import url( '../x/framework/css/dist/site/stacks/renew.css' );

Adding in that dist directory in between css and site is what will ensure you’re pulling in the correct stylesheet for each Stack.

Please let us know how it goes.