None of my cornerstones will load

Whoa- I just had a customer reach out that their cornerstone just spins- I checked it out, it spins for me too, so I checked a few of my other x sites and am getting the same result.

Hello @turbineflats,

Thanks for reaching out. :slight_smile:

I can see that the first 2 websites are using latest version of X Theme and Cornerstone. While third website is using X Theme 6.4.6 and Cornerstone 3.4.6. Please try out following solutions and let us know how it goes.

1. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  2. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  3. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion. One of my users in particular has been complaining monthly of issues with Cornerstone, so I look forward to your troubleshooting.
Edited to add that I’m checking through like my 10 x theme sites and half of them are showing this issue. What the heck happened recently? They are all on flywheel, they all have the latest wordpress and php, etc.

Hi @turbineflats,

It seems that this page was edited outside of Cornerstone. When a page is created with Cornerstone, it will have post metadata containing cornerstone data. When you load a page, Cornerstone will check this data and if everything is in tack, the Cornerstone tab should be active. If there were indication that the page was indeed edited outside of Cornerstone, cornerstone data might have been tampered or corrupt and in this case, the active tab will now be the visual or text tab.

Did you happen to edit the page outside of Cornerstone? This could be editing in the visual or text tab and then you have probably hit save button. If this was the case, you might no longer be able to edit the page back in cornerstone because you are not supposed to switch editor even using the default WP editor.

I went through a few pages and the Cornerstone is loading fine on my end. Could you please tell us which pages are getting this issue?

Let us know how it goes!

Cornerstone does show working this morning, but it did not work yesterday on two machines I attempted it on.
She says:

"I did not edit any pages outside of cornerstone. If you look at our used equipment / about pages they too have a bunch of content malfunctioning. All this happened yesterday at the same time with no prompting from me. For instance, I haven’t edited our used equipment page since November.

We have been consistently having issues when the theme needs updating. I am guessing it has to do with that."

It is true what she said, several of her pages now are blank when you go to cornerstone. My frustration level is high, because she says she is consistently using cornerstone. Do I call her a liar? Can I prove that she is editing it somewhere else? They are a major client that is getting more and more disgusted with x with each month. I want to help her to use x in an appropriate manner.

I’m heading back in to look at the site- my client rolled back to a previous version because she was so upset. Now she says

I think I may know part of what happened. I’ve been trying to fix the insecure images on our website that are causing mixed content errors. We still have several images pulling as http instead of https which is flagging our site as insecure. While I haven’t edited anything outside of cornerstone, I have been poking around a bit and I’m wondering if something I did took some content down on our pages…

The cornerstone issue I do think was caused by trying to update the Theme. Funky things happen every time our theme updates, and it usually breaks cornerstone for me. I don’t know if I’m running updates wrong, but I’m hoping if someone else updates it, it won’t break stuff.

So if you could update our theme and also fix the http images that should be pulling https that would be awesome!

So I’m going to go take a look- not sure if there is any support needed from apex until I head in there. :confused:

Hi @turbineflats,

Update issues could happen on any theme or plugin especially if the site has existing optimization and caching. That’s because the cache is the opposite of change, and updates have a lot of changes. I recommend managing the site’s caches correctly before and after the updates.

As for Mixed content errors, yes, it could break the builders since browser blocks any requests between secured to non-secured connections. And attempting to fix it through database will also corrupt the data (serialized data saved by Wordpress). I recommend doing that safely like installing Better Search Replace plugin and replace the URLs that are causing Mixed content errors.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.