No Update Notifications in over a month?

I noticed that I have not received any update notifications on one of my sites for over a month. :frowning:

Started looking into it today and found the following error (not sure if this is what is causing the issue or not):

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function x_get_view() in /www/wp-content/themes/x/index.php:16 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /www/wp-content/themes/x/index.php on line 16 4 hour(s) ago

Can someone help me with this? It makes me a little nervous that all my plugins and or themes are out of date.

Thanks

Hi There @techKNOW

Thanks for writing in! Could you please try updating your X theme and Cornerstone plugin manually for once and see if that resolves your issue. You can refer to our update guide here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62).

If you’re still having issues, check your PHP version running on your server and make sure to use PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any incompatibility issues.

In case if you cannot isolate your issue, we require your FTP credentials as well to investigate it further.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

I have updated X to v.6.4.6 and CS to v.3.4.6 manually via ftp.

My php version is 7.1.

Still don’t see any new updates available. :frowning:

I finally deactivated all my plugins and then the updates appeared and I was able to update and reactivate the plugins successfully.

Hey @techKNOW,

Based on your description, the error could not have prevented the update notification because it should be causing a white screen because it is a Fatal Error. But, you’re still able to access your site’s front-end so that might not be connected.

Some plugins requires deactivation before the update notification to appear. You should try this method from time to time. This usually happens with our bundled third party plugins.

Another method to try is going to Dashboard > Updates and clicking the Check Again button.

Also note that there’s nothing in our products that could stop update notifications. There might be a setting in your WordPress config that causes the issue. It could also be a problem with your web hosts connection to our server or any plugin’s server for that matter. You will need to consult with a third party developer though as this is not covered by our support.

Thanks.

It wasn’t just the X extension updates that weren’t showing up it was all plugins and themes.

I tried clicking on the Check Again button probably a hundred times with no luck.

I have several other sites I manage on the same host that were/are working fine where all updates were are showing up and updating as they should. This site is probably a couple of years old and has worked fine with no issues with updates displaying just fine until about a month ago then the updates suddenly stopped for this site only.

While many of the plugins are the same between all my sites, this is the only site that has the X theme and Cornerstone and their extensions.

I had checked with my hosting provider, Flywheel, prior to opening the support ticket with you all. They said everything looked good on their end by they wondered about the PHP error, it was because of that I reached out to Themeco Support.

I have seen that error before but it has never caused any issues that were apparent. No white screens, or problems on the site that I could see.

I will monitor this site and see if the updates continue to be avail or not or if I get that error again. I don’t know if they are related or not but neither should be happening.

Thanks.

Hello @techKNOW,

Thanks for the updates. I just want to add that FlyWheel removed all the WordPress update capability. It is evident in the dashboard itself where in the Updates sections, Dashboard > Updates, where entirely removed. Perhaps this article might give also some enlightenment to this:

If you are still seeing the PHP error, you must update X theme manually or re install it with a fresh copy which you can get it from your dashboard (https://theme.co/apex/dashboard).

Hope this helps.

RueNel,

I know how Flywheel works I have been with them for about 2 years and have about 30 sites with them.

The links you provided ONLY apply to WordPress Updates. In Flywheel, those are controlled in their Dashboard. Those are working perfectly and as expected.

The reason Dashboard > Updates is not displayed has NOTHING to do with Flywheel. I manage all updates for all my sites via ManageWP. That does not display because of the ManageWP plugin. BUT that has NOTHING to do with this issue. The ManageWP plugin only “hides” the plugin updates it doesn’t stop or block them in any way This is the same config I have had on ALL my sites for about 2 years. About a month ago this specific site stopped getting software updates, ONLY this site. The updates weren’t being hidden they weren’t there at all.

As far as the php error goes. As part of the troubleshooting process I had to manually install/update X again, from a fresh copy that I downloaded from my Themeco Dashboard via ftp, since there was no update available on my website.

Thanks.

Hello @techKNOW,

Thank you for the clarifications.

Did you just uploaded the files in the themes folder directly overwriting the contents of the x folder? I would highly recommend that when doing the manual updates, please do this:

• Rename x folder into x_old folder.
  • Download a fresh copy of X theme.
  • Unzip the x.zip and upload this into the themes folder
  • After the upload, you can remove the x_old folder.

This method will make sure that there will be no old files has been merge into the x folder.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.