New custom sidebars appears differently than old ones

So - I have an odd problem. Before I upgraded to Theme X version 5.x I had a finished and complete site, and now a couple of months after upgrading to Theme 5.x I’ve been asked to modify the site.

Specifically I’ve been asked to create new custom sidebars, and when doing so, I have discovered an issue:

They seem different than the old ones, when I populate the new sidebar with new content!

Examples:
Page with old sidebar: http://kvikkastrup.dk/svoemning-2/
Page with new sidebar: http://kvikkastrup.dk/motion/

I have these issues:

Issue 1: Old sidebars are GONE in admin area (WP-admin > Apperance > Sidebars) - BUT on the website they still show up nicely (?!?!?!?)

Issue 2: Space between sidebar name and widget content is too wide (vertically), it’s not something I’ve designed before.

Issue 3: Even though I populate the new sidebar with 2 different widget items (2 x Intelliwidgets), the last edited widget item will appear twice, instead of displaying unique widget items.

Hey there,

This issue is unusual. Do you have customizations? If so, would you mind removing them then test if the issue persists? Please also clear all caches including browser cache.

Thanks.

Hello Christian

I’m not quite which issue you answered, but I have no customizations, and I did as you asked, but still the problem persists.

How tome on from here?

Br. jens

Sorry to be a nag, please help.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Would you mind providing us some access so that we can take a closer look at your sidebars?
Please create a secure note and add the credentials.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, the secure note has been added.

Thanks for the credentials.

1. I see your sidebars still exist in Appearance > Sidebars

1. Are you referring to the space in this screenshot below?

Please test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If this is not what you mean, please give us a screenshot of what you’re referring to.

1. I see you have third party plugins that are related to the sidebar. Please test for a plugin conflict.

Thanks.

Hi - thanks for your reply.

1. First screenshot provided by you shows sidebars I created AFTER I reported the issue to you.
  2. Second screenshot provided by you - yes I’m referring to that sidebar - it’s gone missing :frowning:
  3. You refer to a specific third party plugin related to my sidebar issues, please tell me which one, so I may save time solving the issue.

Hey there,

It could be your Custom Sidebars plugin but I’m not sure and it’s outside the scope of our support to test for a plugin conflict. Please deactivate all third party plugins and check if the issue persists. If it does, keep all third party plugins deactivated while we investigate.

Thanks.

OK, so I don’t mean to be ungrateful for your help but I think it’s somewhat fair to conlude that the problem arose after the major upgrade X Theme imposed on me as a customer, the website was working just fine before the upgrade. To call any other plugin a third party is stretching it a bit, I think.

May I remind you that all custom sidebars disappeared from the admin console while still visible on the public part of the website after the X-theme upgrade. So I’m quite reluctant to test how it’ll go if I disable the Custom Sidebar plugin, will all my sidebars come back when I re-enable the plugin, do you think? I’ve spent quite a few hours creating those sidebars, so forgive me if I’m a bit nervous.

I appreciate that plugins can interact in a negative manner with each other, and now my website is jinxed. I’m sure the developers from Custom Sidebar would respond the same way you have.

Where do I go from here?

What do you mean by “To call any plugin a third party plugin”? Custom Sidebars plugin is not part of our bundled plugins (see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195) and we cannot provide support for third party plugins or scripts due to the fact that there is simply no way to account for all of the potential variables at play when using another developer’s plugin or script. If a third party plugin played nicely or everything worked fine in the past, there’s no guarantee it will work in the future as we don’t have control over them.

In the previous screenshot I gave I see that they’re there in the admin Appearance > Sidebars. If you mean, there’s no selected post or pages then yes, I see no post or page enabled (checked) for your sidebars. This is what I want to investigate since you said it shows up in the front-end. But, I see your using another sidebar related third party plugin so that might be the one displaying the sidebar in the front-end.

If you’re afraid to test, copy your site to a staging server. This is a best development practice. Updating your site directly without testing is bad practice. We also have an article on that https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62. If you’re not sure how to do this, please hire a third party developer.

Regarding the question if your sidebars will come back, I’m not sure if they will come back since selecting a post or page in Appearance > Sidebars and using the Custom Sidebars plugin have the same function which is to display a specific sidebar in the front-end.

We need to check that other plugins are not affecting the features in X. Forgive me but this is necessary troubleshooting procedure. We can’t disable them for you as it is the site owner’s or user’s responsibility. We will help if there’s an issue with X and the bundled plugins. If there is a third party plugin conflict, we might provide a solution but note that we cannot guarantee an immediate fix.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Christian, thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that X-theme has put a lot of hours into their own software, but to Wordpress ANY plugin is a third party plugin, even yours.

Thanks for sharing your insights with me, I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks for your feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.