Need help editting visually hidden H1

Hi there,

In my site code all across my site I have the following:

“h1 class=“visually-hidden”>Expressions in Video - Austin, Texas</h1”

I need to remove this so I have full control over my H1 as this H1 is populating on every single one of my pages on my site. Can you guide me on how to update this?

Screen shot is provided in secure notes

Hello @atxvideo,

Thanks for writing in!

You can refer solution mentioned in following thread:

Thanks.

I do not have a child theme active on this wordpress instance. I have meaning to ask how to go about doing this. Right now, the instance just has the main theme installed.

Hi there,

What you are planning to do would require some customization through a child theme because the h1 is hardcoded in the theme files.

Hi There,

Please go through our child theme setup guide here.

https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57

Hope that helps.

I do not plan on doing any customization. I probably do not need a child theme. I just want to get rid of the H1 that is hardcoded in the theme file because that is a major on-page issue that needs to be corrected. I should just be able to control my H1s through my page and post editor.

Hi There,

If you want to change any of the theme code, you should use a child theme.

If you do not use a child theme your changes will be erased on the next update.

Hope it clarifies

If that was the case - wouldn’t this hard coded H1 disappeared when I updated the theme about a month ago?. I just want this H1 to go away and can’t find it in the CSS editor.

I managed to install the child theme, but I cannot follow the instructions provided. I do not see the child theme’s folder. I think you need FTP access or something. I do not have the tech skills for this.

I’m wondering why the heck would Themeco hard code H1 into the entire theme. That is completely ridiculous from a site structure perspective. I understand if it was hard-coded by a designer I used previously, but the impression I get is this is part of the theme - that would mean I have the same H1 header title on all my pages.

It seems that the issue is coming from the Site Title in the Settings area. If the Site title is added - the H1 is hard-coded on the site. If it is left blank, the H1 is still there, but shows up blank.

Hello There,

Please give us access to your ftp so that we can modify the h1 site title in your child theme. To do that, please create a secure note and provide the following:

• ftp hostname
  • ftp username
  • ftp password

Thank you in advance.

Hi, same problem here. I am using a child theme. The H1 is controlled by the settings, every page has the same H1 and is visually hidden, and that’s no good for SEO. Could you point me how to change this to have control over each page within the website with their own H1? I have read about this but I am not sure where to adjust this.
Thanks,
Ingrid

Hey @IngemarB,

Thanks for writing around! Please see this thread https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/remove-h1-class-visually-hidden-tags-on-each-post/4465

Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.
I am missing some folders in my X-child theme; legacy, cranium and headers.

x/framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/global/
x-child/framework/views/global/

Do I have to copy those folders and their files into my child theme?

Hello There,

Thanks for providing the information. The folder path in your child theme needs to be created because it does not exist yet. The ftp credentials is not working so you will have to create it those folder names in order to resolve this issue.
It should be x-child/framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/global/

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi,
The created folder path in my child theme gave a 500 internal server error. I deleted the new created folders in the child theme. In another topic I found the _brand.php could also be placed in x-child/framework/views/global. After doing so the website was live again and this path
seems to delete the visually hidden H1.
Thanks for the reply,
Ingrid

Hi Ingrid,

Both paths should work. Glad you were able to resolve it using the old path.

Thanks!