Multisite(subdomain) build, having problems with Cornerstone and Theme Options

As per some other users who have posted to the support forum, I have a multisite subsite (https://trucosmeticsdev.pw) where Cornerstone and Theme Options will not load. The multisite is a subdomain-based build with domain mapping.

I get the error:

“The preview could not load. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing. Checking the developer console for errors could indicate what went wrong.”

Dev console error only shows an unhelpful ‘Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)’ referencing the root URL

I’ve already tried shutting off all 3rd party plugins, and the server is returning no errors. I’ll post access credentials via a secure note, next.

:Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

The password is incorrect. Could you please double check?

Please also follow up the steps below:

1. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.
  2. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Switch to the parent theme to check if the issue persists.
  5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  6. Make sure that you’re running at least PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any WordPress related incompatibility issues. If you’re not sure what your server configurations and settings are, install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.

Let us know how it goes!

I’ve edited the user account, and verified that the password I sent you before (in Secure Note) is now correct and gives access. I’ve tried most of the other things on your list. Please take a look from your end, and bear in mind this is a multisite build (so I’m not free to break this site as readily as I could if it were a standalone, in my attempts to diagnose the problem.) Thanks.

Hello @BenjaminBarnett,

I have successfully logged in. Please make sure that your site URL and WordPress address url is the same as your WP dashboard url. It must have the same https protocol and the domain itself. I could not completely check this settings in your Network Admin > Sites since I do not have any access to it.

Please let us know how it goes.

SiteURL and Home fields (Netwk Admin / Sites / Edit / Settings) are indeed both set to https://trucosmeticsdev.pw

What’s next? :B

Hi Benjamin,

I couldn’t find any clue at the admin as of now. May I know your FTP login credentials as well? The error is produced on ajax response and probably not logged. It could be a conflict, and please provide the network admin credentials that has capability to install and deactivate plugins for further testing.

Thanks!

I thought I’d found a workaround, but the fix appears to have been transient (I saved Cornerstone page build state as a template, made a new page, then applied the template – it loaded the preview for a while, then abruptly stopped doing so.)

As the project timeline is getting tight now, I need to re-open and, if possible, escalate this ticket. I’ve escalated your existing User account (previously shared in Secure Note) to super-admin status, giving you install / deactivate plugin privileges.

I’ve also added SFTP credentials for the relevant account to this thread’s Secure Note.

Please be sure you deactivate any plugins ONLY temporarily, for confirmation of diagnosis only – this multisite contains many live client websites which rely on several key network-activated plugins for their smooth functioning. I’ll need to carefully map out how to deactivate any network-wide plugin for X-themed sites only, while maintaining uninterrupted service for my other clients’ sites.

Lastly, I updated to the latest greatest version of X (6.5.5) and Cornerstone just now, in the hopes that might resolve the issue. No such luck.

Please email me at benjamin@media-schmedia.com with any/all progress on this issue. Thanks in advance for your always expert and timely assistance!

Thanks, :Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

I couldn’t find anything through FTP, but perhaps I’m on incorrect folder path. Would you mind providing the correct installation path for this site? It’s just that the current installation has no wp-config.php which means it’s not yet installed or corrupted, or it’s on different folder. But it has multi-site configuration so I’m a bit confused. Plus, when I tried access the plugins through network admin, I got redirected to this https://mighty-little-websites.com/not_found which never part of your multi-site. The issue is probably related to your site’s configuration and setup, and with this I’m afraid to touch anything. How about cloning your current site to a test site where we can fully test it? Please check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/slider-revolution-error-message/48874 about the staging.

Thanks!

Hi Rad. Apologies, there are a finicky couple of bits w/r/t logging into a domain-masked multisite, even though you have super-admin privs. I added the needed info in another Secure Note, below. :B

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks, is there a way we can totally deactivate the WP Rocket plugin? I see that it’s already deactivated from the plugin list even on network admin, but it’s still active on network admin bar. Is there any hidden customization on your multi site? It appears to have related to custom configurations that I’m not familiar with. And the primary cause why it’s not working is because the preview being served is a cache one, there is no placeholder for the builder preview to work, nor the required structures for the builder to work.

Perhaps is there a way to have or setup a staging copy of your multi site with the default setup as Wordpress provided like without any re-configuration and customization? Plus, the plugins Thumbnail Fixer for Facebook. and WP - UI are triggering deprecated notices even though I deactivated them, so perhaps all of these are due to cache. Is there a way we can bypass the cache? I don’t like to touch it as I’m not sure how you configured it to make it different from standard configurations (I understand it for security purposes : ).

Thanks!

Huh. Well, WP-Rocket I guess is vexing me here. I just installed a helper plugin from WP-Rocket that SHOULD disable caching for any logged-in admin, but the error persists. Do you have any tool at your disposal that would expose the origin of the cached file?

I ask because the parent site of the whole multisite, mighty-little-websites.com, is proxied via CloudFlare. I’ve switched CFlare to development mode for the time being, but I’d love to confirm that the cached file that is messing me up is either definitely on the local server or definitely being served via CFlare.

:B

Okay, I’ve looped in the WP-rocket support team, in the hope they might have a contribution to unpacking/resolving this conflict. Hey, at least it’s an interesting knot, yes?

Hi Benjamin,

Sure, please let us know if you find something. You may want to check the hosting if it has internal caching too. That’s because the notices and error are only triggered within the system while CloudFlare is outside your server.

And still, the cache version is served through the builder’s preview.

Thanks!

HEY! I discovered something new, which might be not just relevant but in fact crucial. The failure to load happens ONLY on the page currently designated as the static Home page (under Settings / Reading).

I think it’s not WP-rocket per se, as that plugin’s current status (on/off, actively caching, cache dumped, individual page excluded from caching) seems to have nothing to do with the buggy behavior.

Hi Benjamin,

I saw similar issue even on a single site and it still due to the cache which only happens on the home page. And when I checked the served ajax response for the home page and confirmed that it served a cached copy since there are no placeholders for the builder preview. Another possible cause is the redirect which then overrides the response content.

Could you try cloning your site into staging outside the current host? I like to test it without SSL and domain mapping, and to compare the host environment. Please check this information https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/slider-revolution-error-message/48874

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.