Modern Events Google Cal Sync Error

Hi there,

We installed the ME Calendar plugin via the X Validation screen, and set it up with the pertinent information, including the API key and Calendar ID. We synced it, and it brought in the initial batch of events. We then went in days later to re-sync it to add more events that were added to the Google calendar and now we’re running into an error message.

No other plugins were added after, so it’s unlikely a conflict, and we tried uninstalling it and re-installing to no avail. We always gets the following error:

Error calling GET https://www.googleapis.com/calendar/v3/calendars/j9uqm5h4okjvai6crb8rl09guc%40group.calendar.google.com/events?timeMin=2018-05-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A0&timeMax=2018-08-31T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A0&maxResults=500&key=AIzaSyBBOTSRwDm7OhKXtA_nTHmDaVXvitu5R-U: (400) Bad Request

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @FullBlast,

Thanks for writing in.

Upon further searching, the error occur because of the date format that you used. Please try other Api key, id and date format if still not work.

Then share us your admin credentials so we could check your setup closer.

Don’t forget to set it in a secure note.

Thanks.

We have the Calendar ID correct, as per the attached screenshot, and I’m not sure what you mean by the date format we used? I’ve provided the login information in a secure note so you can have a look.

I also set up a new API key and tried that but still get that same error. Any help would be appreciated.

• Michael

Hey Michael,

I’m not sure what @nico meant by date format but the bad request issue meant that a required field was not provided. Try changing the start and end date. You can also check some discussion here.

Thanks.

So based on that article, shouldn’t this be happening to everyone using that plugin? It ran successfully the first time, but then doesn’t work again after that?

Does it have to do with the specific type of Google API key? I’ve tried all sorts of different dates but it always returns that same error. I had even removed the plugin and reinstalled.

• Michael

Hello Michael,

The error is 400 which relates to a bad request according to the API errors document (https://developers.google.com/calendar/v3/errors). It could be that one of the fields is incorrect. The API key or the ID could be incorrect which is why the error did not change even after you have changed the dates. Please use a different Calendar ID and API key. Make sure that the example Calendar is public and see how it goes.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.

The calendar is public, and has been since we set it up and nothing changed on the calendar end - other then some new events being added.

I’ve confirmed the Calendar ID, so not much I can do there. We’re inputting it as: j9uqm5h4okjvai6crb8rl09guc@group.calendar.google.com

I’ve also changed the API Key twice now, once from the one that worked the first time, and then we had just changed it earlier today with a new key (the V3 one from the previous message I posted with some screenshots).

We don’t get any ‘required fields are wrong or missing’ type message when we run it, it’s just that same error.

cURL version: 7.29.0, NSS/3.34
Theme Version: 6.0.4
Site is SSL enabled
PHP Version: 7.1.18

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @FullBlast

Could you try it with different account and ID? I copied the URL request and manually requested the URL without a need for the site. And I get same error and sometimes this,

{
 "error": {
  "errors": [
   {
    "domain": "usageLimits",
    "reason": "dailyLimitExceededUnreg",
    "message": "Daily Limit for Unauthenticated Use Exceeded. Continued use requires signup.",
    "extendedHelp": "https://code.google.com/apis/console"
   }
  ],
  "code": 403,
  "message": "Daily Limit for Unauthenticated Use Exceeded. Continued use requires signup."
 }
}

Perhaps it’s account issue since the same issue happening even if I tried it without the plugin. Have you tried contacting google developers?

Thanks!

I tried a new Google calendar under the same account, but still got the error.

Then I tried a new calendar under a different account all together, but same result.

I tried another Google API key as well, from both the same account and a whole different account. Same results. So frustrating.

Just having my server guy look at it as well as he had set up the Chron job for me on it to see if it’s got anything to do with it.

Thanks for your continued help.

• M

Hi Michael,

First of all, we totally understand that this must be frustrating for you as you can not sync your calendar and you stalled for many days now.

I want to assure you that there is no problem with the Modern Events Calendar regarding the sync as there are 1000 of people using this plugin and the sync feature and if there was a code related problem from the plugin our support forum would be flooded with the threads.

Having said that, we could not find why this is happening in your case. Actually, your last response was informative that shows it is not related to the calendar itself nor to the account or the API Key.

Interestingly you have been able to do the import for the first time which raises questions for the suggestion which I want to give, but as we are in a situation which no other test worked I suggest that you test the 2 cases below:

1- Move the website to another server or your local machine and test the case, by this, we will make sure there is no server related blocking which causes the 400 error.

2- Install a new WordPress instance with X and MEC on the same server and try to import the calendar.

Other the suggestions above, I am not sure how else we can be of a help on this matter.

Thank you.

Thanks for your continued help guys. As it turns out, we’re going to just add the events manually as needed using the Add Event function. It’s just as efficient as adding them to the Calendar first and then trying to churn job sync it.

I have another project we’re just starting on that we’ll be trying to use ME calendar as well, so I can try it on a new server environment and with a fresh install - we’ll see how that goes, I’ll keep you posted.

_ Michael

Thank you Michael. Get back to us with the result please.

I am having the same issue importing google events. I have been using this method for almost 6 months now and like the OP said I did not change any settings and it stopped functioning. It now results in a 400 error. @christopher.amirian Has there been any light shed on the cause of this issue?

Thanks,
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Like I suggested previously, please test the case by moving your website to another server as the 400 error is a server related error. For more information about the 400 error please read this article.

Please open up a separate thread despite the fact that you might have the same symptoms on your installation. That will help us to organize and give you proper support.

Thank you.

Having this same issue. This plugin looks amazing but its very very buggy. As an events company we were overjoyed when it was announced that this plugin would be added but so many things do not work and customer service is very poor

Thanks for reporting, @istandard. I’m not able to replicate this but since several of you have reported the same issue already, I’ll post this in our issue tracker so when our development team gets to see this issue, they could forward this to MEC developers and we could get some feedback or a fix.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.