Modern Events Calendar - Events Archive, Breadcrumbs, and Title Tag

I’ve installed and activated the Modern Events Calendar to display a list of training courses as events. I’ve adjusted the Archive Page Title from “Events” to “Course Calendar” and the Main Slug from “events” to “course-calendar”.

1. The calendar displays across the whole page beyond the site’s max width regardless of the display options.
  2. The breadcrumb has not changed to “Course Calendar” but remains as events.
  3. The title tag is “Events Archive” rather than “Course Calendar”.

Please, could you provide some assistance?

Hey @Houndog,

Thanks for writing in. To check, we need the URLs of the affected pages and also access to your WordPress admin so we could check your backend setup. Please give us the access details in a Secure Note.

Thanks.

Hey @Houndog,

Thanks for the details. I have replicated all your issues in my test site and they are bugs in the MEC plugin. The breadcrumb and title tag output are related. X Breadcrumbs will only get what the post type’s archive title. I’ll post these issues to our issue tracker so our development team could be made aware and forward the report to MEC developers.

I tried testing some solutions but was not able to come up with a temporary solution. Please stay tuned for updates.

Thank you for understanding.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your response. Do you have a rough timescale?

Thanks.

Hello @Houndog,

Unfortunately, as of now I am not in a position to share ETA. All the latest announcements are communicated on our Changelog page.

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks for understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Howdy, @Houndog!

I just wanted to take a moment to hop in on this thread to let you know what we’ve addressed based on your feedback.

We’ve gone ahead and addressed the breadcrumb labeling issue. Since the breadcrumbs are part of the theme directly and Modern Events Calendar is one of our provided Extensions, we wanted to make this behave a bit more natively. You’ll find now that when you update the value of this label in the plugins’s settings:

It will be reflected in the breadcrumbs:

As an additional point on this for any situation you might run across in the future where you need to customize breadcrumbs for non-integrated plugins, we have an included filter called x_breadcrumbs_data, which you can find in x/framework/functions/global/breadcrumbs.php, which allows you to customize various data points of any breadcrumbs actively shown on a page. You can use this to easily adjust labels and URLs if needed.

As for the fullwidth styling, there are some discrepancies with Modern Event Calendar’s markup output. For instance, on the archive page, the main wrapper for this content is #main-content, with container for its class. However, on singular event pages, the class used is mec-container, which has some styling applied to it to keep things from going fullwidth. Fortunately, Modern Events Calendar had some action hooks available for us to modify these classes easily, which we have no updated to our native x-container classes with the max and width modifiers, to ensure that the maximum width of these content areas reflects your site’s overall settings.

Finally, regarding the page’s <title> tag output. All we do for outputting the <title> on a website is use WordPress’ native wp_title(), function with no modifiers. This keeps things as native as possible, and for the most part should pull things through in the most expected manner. Since Modern Events Calendar is using a native archive page for their index, the archive label is outputting as expected. However, it seems they have not taken into account the situation when users update this label that it should also be reflected in the <title> as well. This is something that would need to be addressed on Modern Events Calendar’s end, as it has to do with their own content output. We will see about reaching out to them about this. For now, you can certainly utilize the wp_title filter via a child theme to update the <title> tag on this page as necessary to ensure things match correctly:

https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/wp_title/

The updates mentioned here will be available in the coming release of the theme. We don’t have a definitive timetable on this at this time, but you can rest assured it will be soon as it has been in the works for a while.

Hopefully that helps, cheers!