Modern Event Calendar & Content Editor Conflict

Overview

I have Modern Event Calendar installed and began testing layouts for my events in X Pro using the Content Editor. I ran into some issues that brought my Beta site to a standstill.

What Works

• There is little to no issues on the backend setting up a new event, and then transitioning to the Content Editor to create the layout for the event.
  • There is no issue publishing the event and viewing the single event page on the front end.
  • There is no concerns viewing the Modern Event Calendar shortcode on the frontend of the website with events created without the Content Editor.

What Doesn’t Work

The issue comes about when trying to display upcoming events using one of the Modern Event Calendar shortcodes and publishing that shortcode to any page after creating an event using the Content Editor and the new Elements.

I.e. Full Calendar on Homepage

[MEC id="xx"]

The Error

When displaying a Modern Event Calendar shortcode on the frontend of the site that displays events that use the new Content Editor Elements, the following error is generated:

events.js?ver=4.8.2:159 Uncaught TypeError: $(...).datepicker is not a function
at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (events.js?ver=4.8.2:159)
at i (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
at Function.ready (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
at HTMLDocument.K (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)

(anonymous) @ events.js?ver=4.8.2:159
i @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2
fireWith @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2
ready @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2
K @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2

Testing

• Created multiple events using Modern Event Calendar without the Content Editor and everything works fine.
  • Created a basic event using Modern Event Calendar and the Content Editor without adding any elements, and everything works fine.
  • Created a basic event with Modern Event Calendar with the Content Editor and added a section without adding any elements, and everything works fine. However, the description area contained the following:

• Created basic event with Modern Event Calendar with the Content Editor and added just the Classic Feature Headline Element, and everything works fine. However, the description area contained the same {{yield}} as in the image.
  • Created basic event with Modern Event Calendar with the Content Editor and added just the New Headline Element, and received The Error listed above.
  • Deactivated all plugins except Modern Event Calendar and received The Error listed above.

Thoughts

• If I add the below to the Global CSS, and only use Classic Elements, Modern Event Shortcodes will display without The Error.

.mec-event-description {
    display: none !important;}

• It appears as if the Modern Event Calendar descriptions that the shortcode outputs are conflicting with the new Content Editor Elements.

Install Details

X Pro

Server Details

Memory: 34 of -1 MB (-3400%) | WP LIMIT: 3 GB | IP ###.###.##.### 
(xxxx.inmotionhosting.com) | PHP 7.0.24 @64BitOS Version 4.8.2

Plugins Installed

Advanced Custom Fields PRO | Version 5.6.1
Contact Form 7 | Version 4.9
Content Dock | Version 2.0.2 
Convert Plus | Version 3.0.1
Custom 404 | Version 2.0.2
Email Forms | Version 2.0.2
Enable Media Replace | Version 3.1.1
Export WordPress Menus | Version 1.0
Google Analytics | Version 2.0.2
IMDb for Wordpress | Version 4.1.0
Insert Headers and Footers | Version 1.4.2
Modern Events Calendar | Version 2.1.0
Post Expirator | Version 2.3.1.1
Select Server IP & Memory Usage Display	| Version 2.0.3
Smooth Scroll | Version 2.0.2
Snippet | Version 2.0.2
Video Lock | Version 2.0.2
White Label | Version 2.0.2
WordPress Importer | Version 0.6.3
WP Real Media Library | Version 3.2.2

Additional Details

• I cannot provide backend or server access due to client restrictions.

Conclusion

I have tried everything that I can think of to try and resolve this conflict between the Content Editor and Modern Events Calendar description fields.

• Could you confirm my above challenges in a test build?
  • Can you provide a valid and permenant solution?

Hi there,

Thank you for the detailed report. I did check the case on my test installation and had the same conflict which you explained. We reported this to our development team, our guys and the Modern Event Calendar developers need to do a check regarding this.

There is no ETA regarding any fixes, so at the time being kindly avoid using V2 elements in the Events Calendar.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience, as soon as an enhancement regarding this introduced you will see it in our Changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thank you.

2 Likes

I am Ivan, one of the developers at Webnus. During our time as a member of the WordPress community, we have made a few mistakes. One of our developers requested a test drive and provided his email address so that the user could send his information to it. However, as we all know, WordPress guidelines prohibit posting company and official email addresses in the community forum.

As many of our users and supporters have come to the shocking realization that MEC Lite has been removed from the WordPress repository alongside our other plugins and themes, we too have been dealing with the blowback from this sudden, unilateral decision, with no recourse to challenge it in the immediate future. Our first step was to issue a new update for MEC Lite on our website (since it is the most popular of all our products)

Download the Lite Version
https://webnus.net/modern-events-calendar/lite/

We still hold out hope that the WordPress team will revise their decision in the short to near term future. Hopefully one day their policy regarding permanently banning loyal and helpful WordPress members will be changed to something more reasonable as we didn’t do anything malicious to deserve that hit.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the information and direct download link.

Thanks