Missing Shortcuts in HTML Text elements

Hi,
First off, thank you for fixing the dreadful update you perpetrated on your unsuspecting users. The Classic Elements should not have changed at all, and yet, there we were with that stupid tiny box to try to work with. So, thanks for fixing the editing window. BUT I was hoping you realized the grievous mistake in removing the shortcut buttons above the HTML view. I do not work in visual mode except on extremely rare occasions and it is extremely nice to have the few little shortcuts you had available in the text elements before. I create some things in html mode that is obliterated by switching to visual mode, so in particular the ability to insert media through a shortcut button was a beautiful thing. Otherwise, I’d have to go into the library, find the URL for the image I wanted to insert and code the entire thing. And no, I didn’t want to use the image element.
By the way, since we’re talking about images here, it would be wonderful if your image interface showed the URL to the image so we know when looking at the image, exactly which one it is as some images in the library may be very similar. File that under very nice to have, but not critical.

I feel like the changes were a HUGE STEP BACKWARD because adding the ability to give us full control at the element level meant removal of the faster method of working. I appreciate what you tried to accomplish, but the cost to the end user in removing/changing what we were used to was high.

Please add back the shortcuts to both the new Text elements and the classic text elements. I believe there were 4… Bold, Italic (not essential, I rarely used, but someone else may use them frequently), insertion of media and insertion of links. It save typing and aggravation.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback we really appreciate it.

I will forward this to our management and web development team.

Thanks

Agree, agree, agree… There was so much ease with editing in the old cornerstone. I used the “insert media” shortcut all the time.

Also, now in html mode, you need to enter every little <br /> or <p>, when the old cornerstone took care of that while in html mode.

Even though they have made the text box bigger, I still think it is way too narrow, and don’t understand why it can’t go back to the big pop out box.

It doesn’t even matter, because I can edit a post/page and nothing gets saved in the new cornerstone. It’s been a week and I was hoping all of this would have been resolved by now.

The text mode was really for writing HTML. If you want auto paragraphs and breaks, you need to use the Visual Mode. Auto paragraphs and breaks is problematic in text/html mode that is why it is removed. A lot of users loved that.

To increase the text box size, expand it by clicking the triangle icon.

Please try the following solutions:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

If nothing helps, open a separate thread and give us access to your WordPress admin and cPanel in a Secure Note and post a link to this thread for reference.

Thanks.

You’re saying “most users loved that” when you removed the auto-paragraph from the text/source editor?? That would HIGHLY surprise me. I fully agree it is much more time-consuming to work with now.

The auto-insertion of paragraphs is simply turning wpautop on or off - can’t you have that be a global setting so the end-user can decide? Or else, WHERE can we add something into our functions.php file to turn that back ON for the text editor when using html/source mode?

Going to the “Visual/Rich Text” editor (as mentioned by others) BREAKS a lot of code, so removing the things that helped with our workflow like the shortcuts mentioned in this post (bold, italics, URL, image) are making things take much longer than before. It’s especially ridiculous that we have to go to the media library, find the image, COPY the URL then manually insert it. Before we could insert via shortcode element, then just edit that quickly.

Hi There,

Thanks for your feedback, your comments have been added to the related thread on to our development team.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

We have noted and forwarded your concerns to our web development team.

If you only want classic elements you may set it to show classic only.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.