Minification Plugin broke Cornerstone

I installed a plugin called “Autoptimize” to minify css/html and javascript.

It ended up breaking cornerstone.

How can i run this plugin or one like it and not break cornerstone?

Hi There,

Thank you for writing, please exclude these files form being minified.

wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist-app/js/cs-vendor.js
wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist-app/js/cs.js
wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist/js/site/cs-head.js
wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist/js/site/cs-body.js
wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist/js/admin/huebert.js
wp-content/themes/pro/framework/dist/js/site/x.js

Those files are already minified so there is no need for minifying it again.

How to configure the plugin Autoptimize

Remember to clear all caches (plugins, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) this will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

I inserted the exclusions and it still broke Cornerstone. Said something about is missing.

Hello @JDRDigital,

Thanks for updating the thread.

As the problem is coming because of a 3rd party plugin, it’s a bit difficult for us to provide support for the same as it falls outside the scope of support. As an alternative you can take a look at following article for some optimization plugins:

It’s always a good idea to install and test the 3rd party plugins on a staging server before deploying on live website.

Thanks.

@Prasant I found this thread because my client (using X theme with Cornerstone) has the same issue. Autoptimize (which was recommended to me by an Optimization Expert at Google btw,) breaks Cornerstone.

To be honest, I take offence to “it falls out of scope of support”, because X is - by default - not well optimized simply because the sheer amount of customizability. So that’s fine. However sites made with X need to rank on search engines too, and since page load times are big contributors to ranking, this should NOT fall out of scope. Sure, it’s a third-party plugin that you do not support, but going to Autoptimize with this issue would yield the same response from them. And since we’re all paying for X/Pro, this is the place to ask for help.

Unless you build concatenation, minification and HTML truncation into X theme (highly unlikely,) you need to either work actively to support and test optimization plugins, or make your own.

And like I said, Autoptimize is recommended by Google at this point, so imho you should really work to support it.

Hi @patrikalienus,

A Wordpress system is a modular type, its themes, plugins, and other libraries are coming from different authors/developers which makes it as a whole not optimized. And we can’t provide support or cover any 3rd party plugin just because it’s used to optimize the entire site.

And please note that any optimization related to defer, async, or render blocking scripts/style could break cornerstone and I do admit that. And that’s why we provide the list of files that you’ll need to exclude from optimization for it to make it work. We have no any knowledge of how their plugin works, but we’ll provide any recommendation or guideline if the cause of this issue is the theme itself.

And again, you don’t have to optimize the builder side. Optimization should be applied in the front or live page and not in the builder, hence, it has to be excluded.

Though, you may provide your site’s URL and admin login credentials in the secure note? I’ll do some initial checking but I can’t promise any solution if this happens to be caused by 3rd party plugin.

Thanks!

Hi @Rad
Of course I do not want to optimize the builder side, or even use it when Admin is logged in, but I have yet to dare try since @JDRDigital couldn’t get it to work even with the exclusions.

I get that you can’t support third party code “in general”, but when it comes to optimization, I find that it’s a different ballgame altogether. I sincerely hope Themeco will re-think this stance and at the very least, come up with a list of plugins for which there is a guide on how to make it work properly - and that it gets tested to an acceptable level.

Thanks.

Hi @patrikalienus,

Thanks again for writing in!
We Appreciate your concern and feedback.
Definitely, our development team will look on to this.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.