Migrating theme and child theme from wordpress.com to .org

Hi there,

I want to migrate my site from wordpress.com to wordpress.org.

Can I migrate the child X Pro theme I have built from wordpress.com to wordpress.org??

I don’t want to have to redesign the site from scratch, with a fresh child theme! Ideally I could just install upload the child theme to my new wordpress.org site…

Best wishes,

Paddy

Hello Paddy,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please note that wordpress.org is the community center for every thing around WordPress. It does not offer hosting related services. On the other hand wordpress.com offers much of product and services like hosting etc. You can run PRo and X Theme on wordpress.com as both the themes are compatible with wordpress.com. In that regards can you please clarify/elaborate the question as I am a bit confused.

Thanks.

Hi Prasant,

Ok, got it - thanks for your quick response. So to clarify my question:

I set up my X Pro Child theme on wordpress.com. I now want to migrate away from wordpress.com to another host, and I want to take my customised theme with me. Is there a way of doing this?

The site has taken a long time to customise so I don’t want to redo my customised theme - something most other online help is saying I must do… Ideally I would be able to transfer exactly what I have now to a self-hosted site.

Is there a way of doing this?

• Can I, for example, export my child theme from wordpress.com?
  • Is there a workaround or a plugin that makes this possible?

Bw,

Paddy

Hey Paddy,

Your questions are best answer by your host. In this case, WordPress.com. You might want to check out their transfer service.

I’m not sure if the migration plugins support migration from WordPress.com. Please see this list of migration plugins and visit each plugins’ site to see or ask if they support WordPress.com migration.

We have a migration guide here but it is for self-hosted (WordPress.org) to self-hosted setup.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.