Menus & Elements not working after updating to newest version of Wordpress

I finally updated to the latest version of Wordpress, and now there are 2 huge errors that effectively mean I cannot make any changes to my website any longer.

1. If I go to Appearance --> Menus, all I get is a blank page with the words “Icon Primary” and a little drop down arrow box that does nothing in the upper left corner.

2. If I try to edit a page in Cornerstone (which weirdly is my only option now, there is no option for “text” or “visual” like there used to be), the elements simply do not work. They will not load into the sections. Literally nothing happens. So I cannot create any new content.

I have tried deactivating and deleting multiple plug-ins in case there was an issue with those creating these errors, but nothing has worked.

In your answers, please keep in mind that I have inherited this website from past employees who left no information on how to do anything. I have learned everything flying by the seat of my pants and only recently even learned what widgets & plug-ins are. My past web experience was through squarespace. So please forgive me if I do not understand what you want me to try at first, as I will most likely need everything spelled out in simple detail as if I am five years old. Thank you.

We have community events coming up and it’s important that our website work. We are a small non profit that works with dying patients. Thank you for your time and help.

Hey @cassielst,

What you’re experiencing could be a conflict between the latest Cornerstone version and outdated X version. Please update X also. You can see the latest version in our Changelog at https://theme.co/changelog

If that does not help, please temporarily deactivate all third-party plugins and see if the issue persists. I say all because this is the quickest and non-technical way of testing if a third-party plugin is causing the issue. If it’s fixed, you now know that one of them is causing the issue.

If those does not help, please give us your site’s WordPress Login URL, Username and Password in a Secure Note. Also ask your web host for FTP details and post it along with your WordPress credentials.

Thanks.

Christian, how do I update the X? Do I upload the zip file to wordpress again? Thank you for your help.

Hello @cassielst,

You will need to log in to your FTP and browse to the theme’s folder, wp-content/themes/x/. You will need to unzip the x.zip file and upload all the files to overwrite all the files in the folder. For more details, please see “Manual Updates” section in this knowledge base article:

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Can I do the Manual X Update via the WordPress Dashboard instead? I don’t know if I have an FTP accessible. We pay a third party for web hosting.

Hi @cassielst,

Yes, that is possible, but you need to delete the current parent X theme first to avoid the “theme already exist error”, you can keep the x-child theme active.

Make sure the x.zip file you install is the latest version (6.5.5), you can download one from the APEX dashboard

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.