Menu locations not saving

I have 2 menus on a site for a client and the location will not save. I have tried everything including updating the theme, wordpress, plugins etc. All plugins have been disabled for testing and I switched the theme to basic.

The only time I can get it to save the location is if I change the theme to another.

Here’s a screen. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Hello Jared,

Thanks for writing in!

I would suggest you to try increasing the PHP memory limit and after that try saving menu location. Please take a look at following resource to increase PHP memory limit:

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Okay hosting company increased it to 1024 and it’s still not working. please check into it more. Credentials provided securely. Thanks!

Hello Jared,

The given credentials do not work for us. It seems that the username is invalid.

Meanwhile, please go to Appearance > Menus and manage your menu. You can also assign the menu as your primary menu or your footer menu in this WP admin section.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Okay let me try other credentials.

I have done that and it keeps acting like it’s not saving. I know it’s not the install, it seems to be connected to the theme in some way because, like I said, it works fine with another theme.

Please try the new credentials and see what you can find out. Thanks!

Hello Jared,

Thanks for providing the information. I have checked your site and it appears that you are still using the older version of the theme (X 4.1.1) and still using X Shortcodes. Please deactivate and delete X Shortcodes 3.0.5 plugin.

Please take note that X shortcodes 3.0.5 and its functionality has been consolidated into Cornerstone which you can install by going to X > Validation in the latest version of the X theme.

Could you please update to the latest versions?
Our latest versions are:

• X theme 6.5.6
  • Cornerstone 3.5.5

This latest release contains fixes for several issues so be sure to check out the changelog (http://theme.co/changelog/).

_After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.-

Please let us know how it goes.

Okay let me check into it.

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

Updated the theme and removed the plugin as you requested. Still no luck.

Hey Jared,

Please try contacting WP Engine if they could increase the Max Input Vars to 3000 or more. It’s a setting in php.ini like this:

max_input_vars = 3000;

If that doesn’t help, we need to test if the menu custom fields is causing this issue so please install and activate a child theme and insert the code below in the child theme’s functions.php.

add_action('init', 'remove_these', 10 );

function remove_these() {
	remove_all_actions( 'wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields', 10);
    remove_all_actions( 'wp_update_nav_menu_item', 10 );
    remove_all_filters( 'manage_nav-menus_columns', 10 );
}

Please note that the purpose of the code is only for testing so we can confirm what’s causing the issue.

Thanks.

Great thanks. I’ll have them do that.

No problem.
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Okay I did the increase to 5000 and it didn’t solve the problem.

I the installed the child theme and updated the functions as directed and it appears to have solved the problem. Where do I go from here?

Hello Jared,

If your menu is now saving correctly, please do create the menus or manage the menu items so that you can assign it as your primary and your footer menu. You are now then ready to do other settings that you need to display your menu navigation of the site.

If there’s anything else, we can help you with, please let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.