Media library not searchable

Hi there,

My site has over 700 media items (photos, PDF’s, etc). When I search for an item using a keyword found in the file name, I never get any results. I’m struggling to find a single query that will return a result. It’s as if the site cannot read any of the filenames.

Probably unrelated, but I’m also having issues with the site search. I only get results if the keyword is in the title of the page, or if it’s in the body of a post.

I wish there was a way to magically index the site so every media item was findable and every word on every page was also findable.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

-David

Hello David,

Thanks for writing in!

If you are not able to search WordPress media library in backend, I suggest you to increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

Regarding WordPress search feature that you are looking for, I suggest you to take a look at following plugin:

Please note that the plugins I have shared is not a official Themeco advice. It’s just a personal input that I have shared with you to help you get started. 3rd party plugins may cause some issues and we won’t be able to provide support in that scenario.

Thanks.

Thanks Prasant,

I increased the PHP memory both server side and in my wp-config file, but still receive no results for a search. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

Hey David,

Hey There,

​To assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi David,

I spent a lot of time on this and could not find the cause of the problem. I am sure that you will understand that our theme does not have anything to do with the Media Library searchability feature or the overall search problem of the website. Our theme does have the search feature but at the end of the day, it uses the standard WordPress search feature to perform the search. Our theme only styles the search result page.

I suggest that you create a staging version of your website and there you change our theme to another theme and see if you still have the problem or not.

The only suggestion that I can give at this moment is this Google Search which might help you with your research to troubleshoot this matter.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like