Inline Editing Bug on Windows 7 - Solved

This is a follow-up to this thread: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/inline-editing-problematic-after-3-x-update/65522/14

This issue was killing us and destroying our productivity. You guys were not able to repeatedly replicate it because the bug only occurs on very heavy pages with many text/headline elements.

What really drove us crazy is that anytime we opened our screen recorder to document the many times this issue occurred, it wouldn’t occur. Kinda like when your car makes a noise and then you take it to the mechanic and he can’t replicate it. Turns out that having OBS Studio screen recorder running (recording the active screen) fixes the issue…yeah makes no sense to me either. Maybe a focus issue?

Nonetheless, outside of setting up strange conditions, this bug persists. I’ve given you guys access to our pages and you replicated it. Then you said you didn’t. We really need this fixed. It’s not an issue with our software or hardware as it began happening after the Pro 3.0 update. Our hardware and software configs are locked down and have been unchanged for a year+.

Hey @co50,

Our core developer recognized this issue but said it is not a simple fix. This is not something that can be included in the next release of Cornerstone and Pro.

Since this issue is affecting your productivity, the best thing to do is to revert to the previous version of Pro.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

HI @co50,

Thanks for following up. I wanted to chime in to add some additional context here. We still intend to address this, but at this point would involve rewriting large portions of how Inline Editing works. In short, we use React to power the live preview and our inline editor comes from the very of TinyMCE bundled with WordPress - it doesn’t play well with React lifecycle hooks. This is all based on my limited understanding of the problem because I wasn’t able to trigger the issue consistently.

We still consider this an open issue, and I really do want to get it fixed. We just haven’t been able to dedicate the time to rewriting the different layers involved to work things out. I’m sorry it’s been an inconvenience for you.

I really appreciate that you guys are looking at this. It’s been super frustrating to us because even though this only seems to affect “heavy” pages and that’s only 5% of my clients, those are the clients whose sites we work on daily. So it’s a non-stop issue. The weird workaround of having to start OBS screen recorder to “fix” it is bizarre and takes up a lot of computing resources, but keeps me from having devs quit on me out of frustration. If I can be of any more help in diagnosing it to help arrive at a quicker solution, let me know.

Hi @co50,

Noted and it will be surely added to updates once the fix is available. For now, as a workaround, I recommend not utilizing or skipping the inline editing if it’s causing a lot of issues and causing downtime. The inline editing is just an alternative way of editing from the usual text element editing.

Thanks!

Trust me when I tell you that with the work we’re doing, inline editing is waaaaay faster than using the sidebar links. We needed inline editing before you even implemented it. The other way is so slow that even dealing with this bug is quicker than going back to the 2017 way.

Hi @co50,

Sure, please utilize the inline editing if it makes the process faster. My recommendation is just based on the performance issue you’re getting as I initially thought you preferred accuracy for data editing. And noted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.