How to update plugins for X-Theme correctly

Hi there.

My backend tells me that there are several plugin updates available when I visit the plugins page of wordpress. Now a colleague once told me that, when having plugins as part of a theme bundle, you should ALWAYS wait for a new version of the theme which includes updates for all the plugins and NEVER update them “by hand”!

Is that true or was he wrong?

Hello @elmargrussling,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

It is true that generally theme updates also comes with latest version of bundled plugins. However on the other hand please note that as and when required we rollout updates only for bundled plugins also. It’s a good idea to keep website (core WordPress, themes, plugins) up to date so as to take advantage of new features, bug and potential loophole fixes. Running latest version of theme and plugins (that we rollout time to time) has other benefits communicated via our changelog page. For ease of use we maintain a version compatibility guide and suggest customer to always check the same for comparison:

https://theme.co/changelog/

I suggest you to refer our theme and plugin update guide as it has all the necessary details required to update theme and bundled plugins to make the process more seamless:

Just to summarize, you really don’t have to wait for theme update to run latest version of plugins. We keep on releasing updates for the bundled plugins. If you spot a new version for a plugin as mentioned in version compatibility guide, go ahead and update the same by following the steps mentioned in our theme and plugin update guide.

Thanks.

This is confusing, and the answer could be much easier.

If you spot a new version for a plugin as mentioned in version compatibility guide, go ahead and update the same by following the steps mentioned in our theme and plugin update guide.

Where is the compatibility guide?

If a new version appears in the Plugins/Installed Plugins

Do we still have to worry about compatibility issues with X or PRO, or can we go ahead to update the plugin?

Thank you for the input

Please clarify providing, a clear, and firm answer, if we should or should NOT update to any newer plugin version available besides the one provided with the theme bundle.

As before, we were highly discouraged from updating, and encourage to just use the plugins that came with the theme bundle and avoid updates released by the plugins’ developer.

Hello @VGonzaloMartinez,

Extremely sorry for the confusion. Let me try to simplify things for you. Regarding bundled plugins, you should always update the plugins that are being pushed by us. In my previous reply, I shared link for compatibility guide. I am sharing the same again. https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

Essentially you can refer the above link any time to compare the version of theme and plugins you are running with the latest supported version. I also shared a link to our change log. Change log is the best place to get to know the nitty gritties that the updates brings be it theme or plugins. By referring the changelog you will get to know all the relevant details like new features added, kind of bugs fixes etc. I am sharing the link to changelog https://theme.co/changelog/. So I would suggest you to only use the updates that we being provided by Themeco for bundled plugins.

Let me know if you have additional questions. I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks.

Thank for the clarification.

You’re welcome!