How to remove site wide H1 tags

Hello! I am doing some SEO work on a site, and notice that every page has the same H1 tag (I’m assuming linked to the logo or Site Title)

Leona Dawson | Clinical Hypnotherapist & Psychotherapist

I would have thought this was fairly bad SEO practice? I’ve searched your forum and found the information that states you need to switch to Child Theme, copy files, change files etc etc. I don’t particularly want to use a Child theme (and almost never need to for all the WP sites I’ve created). Surely there is an easier way to just disable this feature?

My site is here - https://www.leonadawson.com.au

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you have any reason that this feature is part of the theme?

Regards
Melanie

Hi @rapidwebsites,

Thanks for writing in. This is issue is submitted to our developers already. For temporary fix, you can check the link below.

Hope it helps. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for your reply, but I’m not using a Child Theme, and not something I want to have a charge a client for. Is there another way around this using the normal theme? Do you have any ideas how long until there is a proper fix from your developers?

On another note, how do I enable notifications so I receive an email when a support ticket has been replied to?

Regards
Melanie

Hi There,

Its always good to have child theme for the site and any customization doesn’t affect in future theme update.
Any way if you hav’t child theme please use this javascript in your Global JavaScript to remove the H1 from logo

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
 jQuery( "<h1 class="visually-hidden">Leona Dawson | Clinical Hypnotherapist &amp; Psychotherapist</h1>" ).replaceWith( "<div class="visually-hidden">Leona Dawson | Clinical Hypnotherapist &amp; Psychotherapist</div>" ); 
 });

Let us know if that works for you.
Regarding your forum question, the mail functionality has disabled, I have forwarded this to our leadership team to look on to the query. you can check Dashboard > Profile > Preferences > Emails to enable it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Thank you Basanta

I have added that code to Global Javascript in your theme, but unfortunately when I view the source code I am still seeing “Leona Dawson | Clinical Hypnotherapist & Psychotherapist” as the H1 tag on every page.

Sorry, but I really don’t understand why your theme does this? Any other ideas how I can fix so SEO is not negatively impacted?

Regards
Melanie

Sorry for the confusion, Melanie. This is not a bug. Having multiple h1 was detrimental to SEO in the past. But, that is not the case now. X was built using HTML5 and having 2 h1 tags is structurally valid because they’re part of different areas. Also, in modern SEO in combination with HTML5, having multiple h1 will not have an impact on your ranking. X was built with SEO in mind so it’s structurally optimized. You should focus on quality content instead.

Using Javascript to remove h1 to the page won’t have any effect because Google bot will still see the h1 in your document.

Removing h1 through PHP template customization is outside the scope of our support.

I hope that clarifies the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.