How to add categories menu to blog page?

I’m using the Integrity stack. How do I add a categories menu to the top of the blog page? I’d like the menu to have the option to show all, or one particular category, being able to alternate between both options. The page has a full width layout.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Moonpup,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

You can add Categories as menu item from Appearance > Menus > Categories. https://screencast.com/t/Ce97eGJ6o7

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thanks for that. I do know how to add categories as menu items to the main navigation menu, but I’d like to add a new menu of categories only to the top of the blog page (separate from the main navigation). I’m looking for a menu like the one shown on the portfolio page, as seen here: http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/portfolio/

Cheers,
Jackie

This is the page I’d like the menu on, below the header and at the top of the content area.
http://kendallpowellsciwriting.moonpuptesting.com/portfolio/

Hi There,

Regretfully that filter menu is only available on the Portfolio page, not on the Blog Index page.

You might want to consider the Ethos stack instead, as you can see on that demo Ethos offers a FILTERABLE INDEX option, under Theme Options > Ethos.

Thanks,

Thanks… I vote to make this option available in future updates! Thanks.

So… Now I’ve moved to Ethos and the blog page initially shows one category of posts, instead of all the posts. Can you tell me where this can be adjusted? Also, it is supposed to show the full content on the post preview, and it is reformatting the text into a single paragraph. How can I fix that?

Hi,

1. You can create a new category called All then put all your posts under it.

2. You can enable full post under X > Launch > Options > Blog > Content

Thanks

Thanks… I’ve created an “all” category, but I don’t know where to select what category is featured on the blog index page. Shouldn’t all the categories be listed on there in one group anyway?

I have selected the show full text option on the blog index in three places:

• appearance > theme options
  • appearance > customize > blog
  • reading > settings

It still is not working. What am I missing here?

Hi there,

You will have to indicate the category ID of the all category you created in the Category IDs field under Blog Options.

You could check this link on how to locate the category ID.

As for the Full Post Content on Index option, it should display the full post when you enable it but currently there is a bug that our developers are already aware of where when you enable it, it still requires you to enter an excerpt length. As a workaround, kindly type in a large number like 9999999so that the full post will show up.

Thank you.

Thanks for your help. I’m still having a problem with showing the entire post. Let me clarify… all the text is showing, but it is truncated into one paragraph as if it were a post summary. I need it to show in individual paragraphs.

Also, I’m not getting any notifications of reply to my posts on the Apex forum despite having a “watching” status on this post. If that could be fixed I would greatly appreciate it.

I’ve added an “all” category. Now all the posts are showing on the blog index page, but there are two “all” categories showing on the sorting menu—the one I set up and the default one that the theme sets up.

It looks like the blog index is pulling the first manually created category in the list that has items in it rather then the default “all” category in the theme.

Hi There,

Please add the following CSS under Customizer > Custom > Global CSS:

.option-set .x-index-filters-menu>li:nth-child(1){
    display: none;
}

I can manually hide it with CSS… but this seems like something that isn’t working correctly in the theme to me. The fix you’ve provided leads to other issues. For instance, now the button at the bottom of the blog index page reads: “See All All Posts.”

Secondly and most importantly - can someone please help me get the content viewing correctly on the blog index page. Right now is truncated into one paragraph, and needs to be viewed as the full content, with paragraph breaks. As I already mentioned, I have already selected the full text option in these three places:

appearance > theme options
appearance > customize > blog
reading > settings

I have already added a large number to the excerpt length as well. Though the issue is not the text showing up, but rather that it is truncated into one paragraph.

I really like x theme, and have purchased it half a dozen times for projects, but I’m disappointed that this has taken 2 weeks to sort out.

I’ve figured out where the issue is. If I turn off the filterable index - the content on the blog index is showing correctly. Problem is, I need both to function. How can I fix this?

Hi,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

Here are the details:

Hello There,

Thank you for providing the information. I will go back to your inquiry:

I've figured out where the issue is. If I turn off the filterable index - 
the content on the blog index is showing correctly. 
Problem is, I need both to function. How can I fix this?

Please understand that the category filter is a custom query page. This is why when you enable the Filterable Index, you have to supply the category IDs. If you do not insert them, no items will display. The blog index has a different process compared to the Filterable index when enabled. Filterable index were designed the opposite way of displaying the blog index.

Regretfully, this particular customization request is outside the scope of our support as this is not related to an issue with the theme and instead has to do with your customization of it. As such, you will need to investigate this particular issue on your own or seek help from a developer should you not feel comfortable making these changes yourself.

Thank you for your understanding.

So, am I correct in thinking that there is no way on the x theme to have a blog index with full posts, that also has a categories menu at the top? This seems like an oversight to me, but if there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

Hi,

Yes that’s correct, this is something we can add to our list of feature requests. This way it can be taken into consideration for future development. All of these items are discussed with our team internally and prioritized based on the amount of interest a particular feature might receive. Thanks!