How do I work on the next version of my site without buying the X theme twice?

I made my site a couple of years ago, now I want to upgrade it. Can I keep the old version online while working on the new version? I want to keep the same X theme, work on it till I’m happy with all my changes, then replace my old site with it when I’m done.

I’m new to this. anything helps.

Thanks,

Seth

Hi Seth,

Thank you for writing in, that is actually a wise thing to do and the thing we would advise when jumping from outdated version to another.

What you can do is duplicate the live site on a developmental server and do the updating there first. This way your live site will be keep untouch, while you do the updating on the developmental server. Since this is a major update, it is understandable that few things will need adjustment/fixing, if you are not comfortable doing this, please hire a developer to help you on this.

- How to duplicate a WordPress Site
- Updating WordPress
- Updating Your Themes and Plugins
- Latest Version Compatibility

If you have any caching and/or optimizer feature (plugin, server-side, CDN) on your site, please clear and deactivate those on developmental site.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.