How can I make a child theme

How can I make a child theme ? Im using integrity stack.
Should I do this even if im developing the site on a subdomain then I will migrate the site to the real domain once the project is completed.

To install a child theme simply go to your account section in apex and click on child themes. Download the package and upload it in Appearance > themes in your WordPress dashboard.

Thanks for helping @mickster58.

@rotation, you may follow @mickster58 recommendation. And you can check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57 for further information.

Thanks!

1 Like

Your very welcome @Rad

:grinning:

Hey @rotation,

If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Best Regards.

I just set up and activated the child theme: that was super easy:

So help me understand this 100% … by using the child theme we can make edits by going to themes then customize the cild theme and any edits I make will be reflected on the real theme and the site? is this correct?

And if I update the x theme when an update comes out I will not loose the the changes I made to the theme?

Now what about the edits I have made to the theme already - X > Launch > Options > CSS: will these be erased because I made them in the theme and not the child theme / will a update wipe these out?

If yes what can I do just copy all css edits to the child theme - under additional CSS

Sorry you are looking in the wrong place, you are looking in customiser, the child theme is in the editor.

With the child theme if you navigate to - WordPress dashboard > appearance > editor, this is where you can edit your stylesheet.css and fucntions.php files. in your child theme.

Your CSS will not be erased if it is set in X > Launch > Options > CSS

Only changes made to the parent theme would be erased, that is why using a child theme for template changes is best practise.

Hope this makes sense…

Lets just be clear I see where the child theme edit css is got it.

Question - since I have already made changes to the parent theme css prior to today install of the child theme do I need to edit anything or just keep the same ? Do I need to copy all css from parent theme to child theme or just from now do edits in the child theme?

If you have added CSS in X > Launch > Options > CSS this will not be deleted when the theme is updated.

Only if you made changes to the parent theme in the editor will it be erased when updating.

If you made changes to the parent theme inside the editor like the screenshot below, then you will need to add those changes to your child theme style.css.

Hi there,

Whatever you change in X > Launch > Options will remain intact as the information is saved in the database. So the Child Theme does nothing with the settings of the theme which you do in the admin. The Child Theme is a good place to override the core PHP files of the theme and add them to the child theme and do the code changes you want. That will make sure if you update the theme your changes will not be lost.

Alternatively, you can add the CSS code to the style.css file which can be reached from Appearance > Editor while child theme is active instead of the X > Launch > Options > CSS.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.