How can I determine which theme files have been modified?

Hi - I am taking over a website where the parent theme (X 3.2.2) was directly customized instead of through a child theme, which means that theme updates break the site. I used a plugin to create a child theme, but the child theme folder only contains three files: style.css, function.php, and a PNG file.

In an attempt to save the existing site, update the theme, and make incremental changes (vs. redoing the entire site), I’d like to figure out which files have been modified from the original X 3.2.2 theme and copy them to the child theme folder, so I can upgrade to the current X Pro theme.

Is there a place where I can download the original X 3.2.2 theme, and is there a recommended utility that would help me compare the folders and flag which files have been modified or added?

Of course, if there’s a better approach, please feel free to make a recommendation.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! Since there are lot of changes happened through the past updates, we do not provide or keep older versions because it can cause security related issues.

In your situation, if you migrate to the latest version with your current modifications, it might not compatible with the latest version of X.

You may try taking a full backup of your site and then install the latest X theme and try to merge your older template to the child theme and see.

Thanks!

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I probably wasn’t clear in my initial post. I’ve tried activating the website with both the X and X Pro themes, but as expected, the site doesn’t work since there were too many customizations that were directly made to the X 3.2.2 parent theme. Therefore I have to find some way to create a child theme and move the customizations there so I can update.

I am trying to get off 3.2.2 as soon as possible (especially since I would already have any of the security-related issues you reference), but need a copy of the original 3.2.2 to run a compare so I can update ASAP. If I can’t get a copy of the original 3.2.2, then I’m looking at a much more complicated and lengthy process, or need to recreate the entire website and customizations. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi again,

Please do as suggested in a secure note.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Keep in mind that a lot of things change from X v3.2.2 up to the current version (X5) and X6 is coming up. You can read changelog page from X 3.2.2 to know those changes.

You can compare the files from the original X v3.2.2, but after you identified the modified files, you need to compare that with the latest version of X too, to see if something is change on that file or the directory where it resides.

Either you update the current X (v3.2.2) or just install the latest version of X (w/ child theme) and redo all the customization from there, it will require almost the same amount of effort, so you might want to recreate the entire website and start from the latest version of X, WordPress, Extensions, and Plugins.

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.