Home page excerpts

Hi there,

I know, but it’s kind of mixed up since you also provided kawriverkeruv.com which you said you want that layout. Plus, Ethos 1 doesn’t have that kind of banner, but rather, a post slider.

To clarify, the issues left is the height of the banner? And not about the demos, right? If yes, then please add this CSS.

.my-banner {
max-height: 400px;
overflow: hidden;
}

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion. As soon as I learned my kawriverkeruv.com was Integrity, not Ethos, I told support to forget about issue#2, which involved that stack’s layout and stated the only remaining problem was the header photo height.

So, I entered the code you provided, and my picture was narrow!!! I rejoiced, I was celebrating and about to delete the blog page. Then, I noticed that the new narrow photo on the home page didn’t look the same as in the customizer or the blog page. It was"cropped"-just sky. The only part of the sky I even like is the lower part with the sun rising. Like a tourist, I want my sun and beach. I’m willing to sacrifice some sky. How do we get the photo to show both sun and beach again?

Now, my home page doesn’t look silly with the hugh picture gone, but it’s missing the beautiful colors displayed in the lower half of the blog photo. Please come to the rescue and thanks.

Hi there,

You may replace that CSS with this one,

.my-banner {
max-height: 400px;
overflow: hidden;
position: relative;
}
.my-banner img {
position: absolute;
top:-100px;
}

Then you may change the top value, the negative value should push the image up.

Thanks!

Thanks for monitoring this and the quick response. I entered the new code and the photo disappeared, so I didn’t save the change, because I have no idea how to follow thru with the second part of your instructions. Please explain. Thanks, regards, blessings.

Hi there,

The CSS works, maybe you added too much negative top values. The first CSS set the height and clip the image, the second CSS positioning negatively from the top, hence clipping the sky part.

Please provide your login credentials and I’ll apply it :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank you! How do I send the info privately? I’ve seen references to it, but am not sure how it’s done. Some of the comments have “Secure Note” and some do not, including the reply from you. Do I use “Secure Note” and if so, do I hit the one in my previous query to you?

I was wishing I knew how to send you a “smiling face”, than saw one in a header right above, so I’ll try. :sunglasses: Wow, it worked. Am I ever cool. Actually, the better thing I can send you is this. “May God smile upon you and bless you this day!”

Hi There,

Yes, you should use a secure note

You can use it anywhere.

Hope it helps

@iam I sent a secure note… You may have to scan up a couple of my replies to view it, though. Thanks.

Hi,

Upon checking, I can see some css syntax error in your css codes.

These should be colons instead of semi colons.

I went ahead and fix it, you may change the top and min-height in the code to achieve your desired result.

Thanks

Saw the home page photo now and it looks even better than the blog photo, since it has less sky! So, we’re finally at the end of this. The home page has it’s featured image with its excerpt to the side and the header image is restored and very agreeable. Thank you all, long suffering support. Blessings

You’re most welcome.

Cheers!

I went to delete the blog page, but don’t know how to identify it in dashboard page edit. It says there are 3 pages- home,about us and sample. All have the same published date. So, is the blog page the sample page? Could the home page with the date in it be the blog page? After all the work we have done, I don’t want to trash the new home page. You should have my login info, if it would help with identification. I don’t need a blog page, since my website is a blog. Thanks

Hi,

There is no blog at the moment and your front page is set to display the latest post.

To make your Home page as your front page, you can set it under Settings > Reading

If you would like to create a blog page, you need to create a new page called blog and set it as posts page under Settings Reading

Hope that helps.

Totally confused. What is the difference between the home page and the front page? Why, when I said previously that I had two home pages, was I corrected and told that my old home page was now a blog page? Why are you now saying I have no blog? Currently, when one accesses my website it sees a page that displays my current posts. That is as it should be. However, when one hits “home” on this page, it accesses what heretofore support called my blog page, and which use to be my old home page. I want to (1) get rid of this old home page, whatever it is called and (2) remove the reference to it on my new home page, since a home page doesn’t need something that says “home” on it. Does this make sense? Regards

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion, I’ll explain it one by one :slight_smile:

Blog page is not something you can’t just delete, it’s default Wordpress posts listing. What you can do is just assign the blog as your home page (Your latest posts), or assign your blog to a custom page (A static page > Posts page). But regardless, you can’t delete your blog page.

What is the difference between the home page and the front page

A home page can be a blog page (Your latest posts) or a front page, while a front page is just a custom/static page assigned through A static page > Front page.

Why are you now saying I have no blog?

What we mean is that there is no assigned custom/static page as your blog page.

Currently, when one accesses my website it sees a page that displays my current posts. That is as it should be

Then you can just let it be and have your blog page as your home page. And you can delete other static home pages and that’s it :slight_smile:

But I think, your main issue is that your menu is still linking to your static home page. Actually, you don’t need to delete those home page at all because your home page is now the blog page. You just need to edit your menu item that is still connected to the static home page and change its URL, you can do that in Admin > Appearance > Menus.

Thanks!

Thank you. I deleted the reference to “home” on my whatever page, so this seemed an easy fix. However, there’s another problem. If one goes to the “About us” page there is no link to get to my whatever page, which if I understand the terminology, is my home page and also, in my case, the blog page, since it displays my recent posts. So, don’t I need to get rid of what you call the static home page, which heretofore I thought was the blog page and know to be the original home page? How so I do this? See my original question of not knowing which page to delete-I saw a choice of “home”, “about us” and “sample.” Is the static home page the sample page or is it still the official home page, because I have not “assigned” my real blog page as the home page?

Do I still need to designate the page that agreeably shows up when one accesses the website (the page with the beautiful image atop it and the recent posts with their featured images) as the home page or is it already the home page, since it is what shows up? Also, how do I get the “about us” page to show the “home” link without this link also displaying nonsensically on the home page?

Hi,

Latest Post Home page - http://wondrousthingsministry.com/

Static Home Page - http://wondrousthingsministry.com/home
Your Static Home page is not your homepage but is treated as a normal page since it is not set to be your Home Page under Settings > Reading.

Technically your Blog Page is currently your Latest Post Home page(http://wondrousthingsministry.com) as it is set to display the latest post and your Static Home page is just a standard page.

If your goal is to display the latest post in your home page with the banner, I recommend that you delete your Static Home page as it is no longer needed and leave your Latest Post Home page as it is.

This is your static Home Page that is currently treated as standard page like your about us.

You may also delete your Sample Page, that is created automatically by Wordpress upon installation for sample purposes.

With regards to your menu, navigate to Appearance > Menu and add your Home Link.

Hope that helps.

It does indeed! Got rid of the static and changed the menu.:joy: Thank you!

Glad that we could be of a help. For further questions, I suggest that you open up a new thread as this thread is getting long and each time we want to answer we need to read from the top to get familiar with the situation.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.