Home page content built with Visual Composer not displaying since upgrading to X - 5.1.1

I recently upgraded to the latest version of X - 5.1.1, and now none of my home page content (built with Visual Composer, and using the Integrity01 sample code) is displaying.

I’ve deleted Visual Composer, and then re-installed via X > Overview as suggested in a previous support thread, but still nothing displays.

When I disable VC, the page content appears, but only as a series of shortcodes, text and images, with no styling. I’ve deactivated all other plugins, and none of these have helped.

Can you please help?

Hey There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

Hi, I’ve added a secure note to my first post with the details you requested, please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

Hello There,

Thank for providing the information.I have investigated your homepage and it seems that there is a fatal error on the page. This could be caused by a 3rd party plugin. You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If still nothing is working, could you please enable the debug mode? You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding define( 'WP_DEBUG' , true ); just above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

For example:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you revisit the home page, we should see some error output describing the issue in more detail.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi there,

deactivating the plugins didn’t help, so I enabled debug mode. This is the error output in the VC section of the page:

Notice: Undefined index: vc_column_text in /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/core/class-wpb-map.php on line 361

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Element must be mapped in system’ in /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/shortcodes/shortcodes.php:1426 Stack trace: #0 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/helpers/helpers.php(1419): Vc_Shortcodes_Manager->getElementClass(‘vc_column_text’) #1 [internal function]: vc_do_shortcode(’’, ‘’, ‘vc_column_text’) #2 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(345): call_user_func(‘vc_do_shortcode’, ‘’, ‘’, ‘vc_column_text’) #3 [internal function]: do_shortcode_tag(Array) #4 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(223): preg_replace_callback(’/\[(\[?)(custom…’, ‘do_shortcode_ta…’, ‘[/vc_column_tex…’) #5 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/shortcodes/visibility.php(20): do_shortcode(’[/vc_column_tex…’) #6 [internal function]: x_shortcode_visibility(Array, ‘[/vc_column_tex…’, ‘visibility’) #7 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(345): call_user_func(‘x_shortcode_vis…’, Array, ‘[/vc_column_tex…’, ‘visibility’) #8 [internal function]: do_shortcode_tag(Array) #9 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/shortcodes.php(223): preg_replace_callback(’/\[(\[?)(WLS|te…’, ‘do_shortcode_ta…’, ‘[vc_row no_marg…’) #10 [internal function]: do_shortcode(’[vc_row no_marg…’) #11 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): call_user_func_array(‘do_shortcode’, Array) #12 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/plugin.php(203): WP_Hook->apply_filters(’[vc_row no_marg…’, Array) #13 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-includes/post-template.php(240): apply_filters(‘the_content’, ‘[vc_row no_marg…’) #14 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/themes/x/framework/views/global/_content-the-content.php(17): the_content() #15 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/themes/x/framework/functions/global/class-view-routing.php(127): include(’/home/expococo/…’) #16 /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/themes/x/fr in /home/expococo/home/expococo/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/shortcodes/shortcodes.php on line 1426

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the error code. Judging from the error there is an element used on that page which is not mapped in Visual Composer: Element must be mapped in system

Is there any add on the element used in the homepage?

I suggest that you clone your page using the plugin below:

Then in the cloned page try to remove elements one by one and check the front end to see the problematic element.

Thank you.

Ok, so I’ve managed to fix it, but I’m no entirely clear how. I tried to edit the homepage with Visual Composer front end editor, and it wouldn’t load, kept popping up an unresponsive script error dialogue. Eventually, after clicking ‘continue script’ about 10 times, it finally loaded the page in the front end editor, and then I was able to republish everything. Just FYI.

Hi There,

Glad it is now sorted out for you. Though as stated here,
frontend editor works with the Visual Composer native elements. The front end editor is tailored to Visual Composer, and as such we’re unable to provide in depth support for it. Most themes that offer extensive Visual Composer integration disable this, as it increases complexity for how shortcodes are handled. It also forces the theme to use a particular grid system that we feel is not ideal.

If you experience the same issue again, try using the backend editor.