Highway35wichita.com

I have discovered that the menu bars (the three horizontal menu bars shown in the upper right corner of our site when viewed on mobile devices) no longer function on an ipad when in portrait orientation, and not at all on an iphone, and I assume any other smart phone operating system. The menus work just fine on a computer and an ipad in landscape orientation. I’m guessing you have had this issue before and that there is an easy resolution. Can you help me with this?

Thank you very much!

www.highway35wichita.com

Hi There,

Thank you for writing in, that is an incompatibility issue, you update your Cornerstone to the latest version 3.1.6, but you leave your X theme behind (v4.6.4). Please update your X theme to the latest version as well (6.1.6)

Updating Your Themes and Plugins

Since this is a major update, it is understandable that few things will need adjustment/fixing, if you are not comfortable doing this, please hire a developer to help you on this.

Remember to clear all caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If you don’t feel updating now, you can also downgrade the Cornerstone instead. To do this, please navigate to plugin list, then deactivate and delete your Cornerstone (3.1.6)

Then navigate to X Addons panel, wait for a few seconds and X will automatically re-install the compatible Cornerstone (1.3.3)

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Thank you very much. If I update X to 6.1.6, will I lose all of the formatting of my page, i.e. colors, fonts, styles content, etc?

I am most concerned with a note on the updates page in Wordpress, referring to the update of X , that says:

Themes
The following themes have new versions available. Check the ones you want to update and then click “Update Themes”.

Please Note: Any customizations you have made to theme files will be lost. Please consider using child themes for modifications.

Thank you!

Hello @highway35wichita,

Thanks for updating the thread.

To update the theme, you need to consider following points:

1. Regarding the warning message you are getting, in case you haven’t made any changes in theme files then you can proceed to update the theme. However, if you have made changes in theme files then it’s advisable to move the same to child theme as upon updating those files will get overridden.
  2. To update the theme I would suggest you to fist take a complete site back and then encourage you to setup a stating server and first update the theme over there. In case any issue pops up then we can troubleshoot the problem without effecting the live website.
  3. In general if update goes smoothly then you should not face any issues with the formatting, styling.

I would highly encourage you to take a look at our theme and plugin update guide that has all the necessary details to help you update theme.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Hello again, I have resolved the issue from my first post and have downgraded my version of Cornerstone to 1.3.3.

The site is now working properly again, however when I return to Wordpress, and then open a page from the Dashboard and then select “edit with Cornerstone”, no content is displayed in the elements of the page. Is there any way to recover all of the content or restore it to the page version before the trouble started when I upgraded Cornerstone to version 3.1.6?

Finally, I would eventually like to upgrade to the latest versions of X and Cornerstone, but only after I am certain I won’t lose anything or have to start over. Do you have any instructions or advice?

Thank you for all of your help!

Hello @highway35wichita,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

As you have rolled back to X Theme version 4.6.4 and Cornerstone version 1.3.3 and content is not displaying, please try out following solutions:

• We’d recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP if you haven’t done so already. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
  • If you are still seeing an issue, please try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

To update the X Theme and Cornerstone and before doing any update it’s always a good idea to take a complete backup of the website. Also it’s a good idea to test the update on a staging server, so even if a issue comes up the same can be looked at without effecting the live website.

I would highly encourage you to take a look at our theme and plugin update guide for more information.

Thanks.

I am not a developer, but a novice working on my site. As such, I have no experience editing the wp-config.php file. Is this something you can coach me through?

Hello @highway35wichita,

To help you get started I have recorded a screencast that you can take a look on adding above code. You will find wp-config.php file in root of your WordPress installation.

You will need programs like Filezilla to download the file from server to edit the same. Please take a look at following article to learn more about the same.

You can take a look at following video to lean more about editing wp-config.php file:

Thanks.

I have asked our website host, Bluehost, to edit the wp-config file as you suggested to reflect the different memory settings. They also have cleared the site cache and I have cleared my browser cache. Unfortunately that has not solved this issue:

After rolling back to Cornerstone version 1.3.3., when I open Cornerstone, the elements and content are still missing. Is there any way to reload Cornerstone with the content from the live page which is just fine? If I give you the log-in credentials, can you take a look to see what is going on with it?

Our site host, Bluehost, also asked me what the server requirements are of X theme? What is is the answer to that? Thank you.

Hello @highway35wichita,

Did you tried to test for plugin conflict which I requested in my previous reply? Please try out and see how it goes. Regarding server configurations, please take a look at following documentation:

https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

In case issue is still there then please share website login details in a secure note for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

I have sent you credentials.

Thank you.

Hello @highway35wichita,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

I logged into the website backend and cleared the cache. After that I opened couple of pages in Cornerstone and content seems to be displaying fine. Please see recorded screencast.

Regarding use of old version of X Theme and Cornerstone, I would encourage you to update the same to latest version. To be on the safer side, you should copy the website over staging server and update X Theme and Cornerstone over there. In case of any issues, same can be looked at without effecting the live website. To help you, I am sharing resources that will help you to update.

To update Cornerstone and X Theme please take a look at following resources:

1. Version compatibility guide: To learn about the latest and compatible versions of bundled and supported plugins, please take a look at following doc:

2. Theme Update guide: Please take a look at following article to update Cornerstone.

3. Please take a look at following doc about changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

Thank you for your help…
When I log into and open Wordpress, then select a page, then select Edit with Cornerstone, none of our content is displayed. Each section is labeled Element Missing.

As an example, please log into our Wordpress account, select from the Pages menu the page Playlist, and then Edit with Cornerstone. Inside the element you should see a list/content of all of the music we play, but all I see displayed is the background image and as the cursor is moved from one section to another, each is labeled Element Missing.

Any ideas? When you log into our account, you should see the same thing as me.

Hi There,

I have investigated the issue and I saw it on the home page but not on other pages. I believe you edit your homepage (and other pages w/ missing elements) on that Cornerstone (3.1.6) version, now that we revert back to Cornerstone (1.3.3) those V2 Sections/Elements become unreadable, hence cornerstone tagging it as missing.

While the immediate advice would be updating X and Cornerstone to the latest version (6.2.2 and 3.2.2), I would not recommend that on the live site. Because your X is coming from an updated version 4.6.4, it is understandable that a) few things will be needing an adjustment/fixing after you update, and b) there is no guarantee that those missing elements will be back after you update, there is a big chance that you’ll be going to rebuild those problematic pages in Cornerstone.

I would advise that you keep your live site as is for now, then duplicate your site on a staging server, you can follow the guide here or contact your hosting to assist you on doing this.

Then do the updates on the staging server (duplicate site) first, then adjust the things that need adjustments. Check the Missing Elements if those were back. If not, then there is no other way but you need to rebuild those pages back in Cornerstone, the good thing is you already have the content (in the frontend, take a screenshot of it) it should not take time rebuilding it.

I understand that this is going to be a time consuming and a might be a little bit hard for you, If you’re not comfortable doing this, I advise that you hire a developer, you can find freelance on online services marketplaces.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I was hoping that I could simply repopulate the Cornerstone pages, but understand that is not possible.

I will follow your advice of creating a staging site, and work from there.

Thanks again for all of your help, your team has been great!

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.