Help with Child Theme

Hey there,

i am a bit frustrated right now. the whole morning i have been working on my website. i had several issues that i contacted support about. i guess that was a mistake because it got things mixed up. dont know but it feels and looks like it.

one of the staff members created a child theme for me. since then things changed. you must know i dont know much about web dev and all of that so it all looks very overwhelming for me at the moment. one thing i quickly noticed is that in my page attributes in only have deafult and slider revolution available. so my portfolio page for example looks like a blog page with sidebar and landmark etc. thats not how it is supposed to be. same thing happend to my homepage which i set on default and it looks fine now. dont know if its right though. before i write too much i would like to know if there is any chance that someone could help me with these issues. maybe one person that i chat to instead of many. please.

TIA

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I recommend continuing the discussion fo each of your thread as long as each thread doesn’t contain multiple issues or requests. About the child theme, you may need to activate your parent theme again, then clone your site into staging (maybe sub-domain) and do the changes there. Switching theme or even a child theme could reset menu, and widgets and some settings, so you may need to put them back manually.

Hene, its’s best if you can one original site and not for development or testing since you can compare them both and copy the setup manually.

Thanks!

Hey,

thanks for your answer. That’s the thing. I have no idea how to do that with the child theme. One of your support guys created it for me yesterday because of another issue I had. I really don’t know how t work with it. So that’s why I was asking. Is there any tutorial or anything that shows me how to work with it? I also don’t feel comfortable to just start trying things out.

Hi there,

The Child Theme does not have any difference in the parent theme. It is only a placeholder to override the original code of the parent theme in some cases that a customization is needed.

As my colleague mentioned in some cases, the widgets and sidebars may reset upon activating the Child Theme. That is a one-time thing, so while you make sure that the Child Theme is active from Appearance > Themes menu, go over the widgets, sidebars, and options and try to adjust things as normal like you would do for the parent theme.

All changes will be saved. You do not need to add any kind of extra code to make a Child Theme work like the parent theme.

For more information about the CHild Themes:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Thank you.

I am having similar issue: my sidebar width will no change or I dont know how to do it can you please help .

@DevotedHunter

Please open a new thread explain your situation in detail and provide your URL.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.