Help in converting website to another theme

OK, I understand that X Theme is fantastic but I need help to convert to another theme. The reason? Hackers have inserted malicious code into my copy of the theme. Unless the developers have a plugin that can remove this code I’ve got to convert my site.

Has anyone in this forum successfully converted their X Theme site to another theme? If so, can you tell me which theme you converted to?

If I can’t convert the site site I’ll end up having to pay a programmer to remove the code manually or, worse yet, taking my sites down all together.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Don

Hello Don,

Thanks for writing in!

Even if you convert to a different theme there is no guarantee that the website security won’t be compromised. I checked the website and can see that you are using very old version of X Theme 4.0.1. New version of X Theme comes with host of bug fixes, security enhancements and new features. Actually, one of the main reasons of website security getting compromised is use of old version of Theme, Plugins and WordPress core. Always make sure to use the latest version to avoid any issues.

You can check for some plugins. You can take a look at following resource.

https://www.fixrunner.com/wordpress-malware-removal-plugins/

In that regards, I would suggest you to remove the malicious code (sucuri is one of the most popular plugin) and make sure that you are using latest version of WordPress, X Theme and Plugins running.

To update, you can take a look at following resource.

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

Thanks for this thoughtful reply. I installed the new version from my dashboard but now the entire site and admin dashboard has disappeared. Please advise.

Hello Don,

I checked the website and can see 500 error message. I am sharing an article that list possible solutions that you can try out to fix the issue. Please take a look.

In case problem is still there, please share website login details along with FTP login (this is crucial) in secure note for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

Hello Don,

Can you please confirm the FTP details again as I am getting following error message:

Error:        	Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:        	Failed to retrieve directory listing

Thanks.

Hi Don,

Have you restored your site? It’s back up online but the versions remain old, and the logins are no longer valid.

Please note that this is security related issue and even if you updated it, it’s still going to be the same if you’re unable to pinpoint the origin of the attack. Some happened on hosting level then all your files will be infected even your Wordpress installation and even if you’re going to use a different them.

I recommend contacting your hosting provider or a developer that could help you investigate this attack.

Thanks!

Thanks. I still get a blank home page. Two questions for you:

1. Were you ever able to locate the htaccess file?
  2. If I switch to another theme, reinstall the X theme from years ago, would it help to restore my site?

As for contacting my hosting company when I’ve done that in the past they just shift you over to a developer who wants $500 to fix it. No good.

Don

Hi Don,

I was able to fix the error 500 and was able to restore your site. The X-shortcode plugin is in conflict with cornerstone so I rename the xshortcode folder to deactivate it. X-shortcodes is no longer needed as it is being replaced by Cornerstone.

Plesae note that you still need to remove the malicious code, regretfully this is outside the scope of support that we offer.
You need to hire a developer to do this for you.

Thanks

Much obliged for the help. I have a second website on that server with the same problem (www.dondemaio.com) and so I expect the solution would be the same, right?

Hello Don,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

I see that you are using X Theme version 5.1.1 on http://dondemaio.com/. However, I see that on the website you haven’t installed Cornerstone. Please update X Theme and make sure to install Cornerstone also.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.