Heading Fonts not working after x update to 6.2.4

Wow, thank you so much! You guys are awesome! For future reference, is there an easy way I could have found this myself? Meaning, is there a program or a protocol or procedure to hunt these code problems down more easily? I never would have found this problem on my own. How did you do it?

Thank you again!

Laura.

Hi Laura,

You’re most welcome!

There is no standard protocol or procedure and it depends on a person. Example, I’ll share what I do :slight_smile:

1. Know the issue ( font Life Savers isn’t loading )
  2. View the source of the site and find if google fonts are properly added
  3. Found out that it’s added, but it’s not just loading. In this stage, the culprit is always before the affected line
  4. And above that line is that faulty analytics code
  5. Then, I’ll think the places where it’s added. This is an embed code which means it’s usually added in header or footer
  6. Then I’ll check any plugin that adds embed in the header and footer (there are many depending on what you installed)
  7. If there is no plugin, I’ll check if there is a custom code in child theme’s functions.php that adds it too.

And this time, you have added it in google analytics plugin.

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the info! It’s way above my skill level to follow that trail, but now that I know what it is, I’m going to practice being able to find my way around like that and have a look under the hood!

Thanks again for the fix and for the lesson! :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re more than welcome, glad we could help.

Cheers!

Hi, I think this is connected to the original problem so I’m continuing the thread. After scrolling down the page, I’ve noticed that now the parallax feature isn’t working on two of the sections that have it set for that. The background images are not showing up. But, if I turn off the parallax, they do show up. The sections are the part where it says “Unique” and the part where it says “World Traveler…” Those should both have image parallax backgrounds.

Since there is no parallax plugin that I can find, I’m not sure where to look or how to fix it. I haven’t changed anything on the page since your fix.

Any thoughts? The login info is in a previous post above…

Thanks again for the fast and expert support!

Laura.

Hello Laura,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I can confirm that the background image is not displaying and the the background image won’t display only when Parallax mode is active.

To see if this is a bug or something I tried to replicate the same on my local setup wherein I added both V2 section and Classic section and added background image. After that I turned on the parallax mode and in front end every thing works absolutely fine.

In your website looking at the source code in dev tools I don’t see much of an issue. In that regards I think it might be a plugin conflict issue or a script conflicting. Please do the following:

1. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  2. We have released an new update for X Theme 6.2.5 and Cornerstone 3.2.5. Please update the same and see how it goes.

To update Cornerstone and X Theme please take a look at following resources:

1. Version compatibility guide: To learn about the latest and compatible versions of bundled and supported plugins, please take a look at following doc:

2. Theme Update guide: Please take a look at following article to update Cornerstone.

3. Please take a look at following doc about changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

Thank you for looking into it and the info to figure it out… Here’s where I’m at… it is definitely a plugin issue but more than that, it is a Facebook issue specifically. There were 3 plugins that were crashing the parallax…

• Indeed Social Share & Locker Pro

• LambertGroup - Responsive HTML5 Audio Player PRO With Playlist

• X-Facebook Comments

I kept the Social Share and the X-Facebook Comments Plugins deactivated and reactivated but disabled the settings for the Facebook AppID on the Audio Player Plugin and everything is fine.

Not sure if I should run an update on X and Cornerstone or figure out the FB AppID first. Also, I have set up a sandbox site to test things on first so I don’t crash my main site. On that site, I updated the Audio Player Plugin and the update did not fix it there either. I still had to disable and set as listed above.

Any thoughts on where to go from here and in what order? The music is more important than the parallax, but the Facebook sharing features are important to have as well. I’d like to have it all working like it did before I did the X update…

Thanks again!

Hi Laura,

I suggest you start with updating your theme and cornerstone in your staging/sandbox site .
Then test everything in staging before implementing the changes to your live site.

Thanks

Hi, well, it’s not fixed yet but I think I’m getting closer at least to what specifically the problem is, or at least is not! :thinking:

After testing things out on the staging site, it appears to be the link to Facebook in some way.

I updated X and Cornerstone to the most recent versions. I also updated the Social Share Locker app. And, on my staging site, I updated the HTML5 Audio Player, but not here because I don’t want to have to redo everything on the live site right now, and it didn’t make a difference anyway.

I also updated and cleaned up all of the App ID’s and they seem to be fine on FB’s developers side and mine.

I put the proper App ID info into the 3 sites that are causing the parallax conflict and still have to disable the Social Share Locker and X-Facebook Comments to not have the parallax issue. But, with the HTML Audio Player, I can have the App ID inserted, I just can’t turn on the Facebook Share setting.

I also removed the Facebook Pixel code in the header and it didn’t fix it either, so I put it back into the header code.

I’m running out of ideas for how to fix this. Since it’s also an X-Facebook Comments plugin that’s having the problem, it’s not just a 3rd party problem either.

Any thoughts on how to fix the Facebook share/comment problem if that’s what it is?

Thanks again for the help, it is very much appreciated and I am running out of ideas…

Laura.

Hello Laura,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Can you please share staging server login details in secure note as I don’t want to fiddle with the live website? I logged into the website and I noticed few other issues this time.

Thanks.

Ok, I posted the info for the lauracrisci.com/sitestaging in the secure note above your post. How long should I leave that site alone? I don’t want to be messing with it while you are. Thanks!

Hey @LauraCrisci,

The issue is coming from an iframe FB widget.

This is similar to a recent conflict like when a Slider Revolution slide is added to a page.

I’ve added the code below to your global CSS to fix the issue.

.fb_iframe_widget {
  z-index: 1
 }

In the process of troubleshooting, I’ve also tried updating the Facebook Comments plugin but that didn’t help. But, the share widget is not a part of Facebook Comments I’m not sure why they’re connected somehow. When I deleted FB comments, your widget still exists and still causing the issue.

By the way, you can see the latest versions in our Changelog or in our Version Compatibility list.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Wow! You did it! Awesome! The recorded troubleshooting video helped a lot! It saved me from having to ask all the ‘how’d you do that?!’ questions here. So thank you for that… I would suggest making that a regular thing to save a lot of the back and forth. And I can keep referring to it as well.

There are a couple of odd things though. The first is that I don’t know how that FB “Like” “Share” I-frame thing got up there in the header in the first place. I put the other things there like the Periscope, and the tip jar and song menu by hand, and added the X-theme share buttons on the right, but I definitely did not put the FB non functioning buttons there on the left.

As you can see, I have the Social Share floating buttons vertically on the left side of the page as part of the Social Share plugin. So the top left buttons are a mystery for me and no need to even fix that since I don’t want them there and they don’t work anyway.

But, I’m leaving them there for now just so you can have a look at it yourself. Did the X theme do it when I initially updated the site and the parallax stopped working? Doesn’t make sense to me but they seemed to happen at the same time.

The other thing is that as you said at the end, you deleted FB comments and then updated it. The thing is, now it is not listed as “X-Facebook Comments” anymore on the staging site plugins list. It’s just “Facebook Comments” but it says Themeco on the right in the description and X recognizes it in the dropdown menu on the dashboard as an X component. Weird.

So, my question is this, why didn’t it update to the latest version with the update of the X theme and Cornerstone updates? Do I have to update the X plugins individually? How would I know that? I thought everything was already up to date. Did any of the X components update with the X theme and Cornerstone update? How do I check that it did update everything without going to each X related plugin individually? I would think it would say there was an update available at least. But it seems to think it is the up to date plugin version when it’s not.

One other thing to note, I also added the Facebook link to my main audio player on the sitestaging version of the site and it worked just fine too, yay! So yes, the problem is fixed, but now there are these couple of oddities to clean up :slight_smile:

I’m going to leave everything else alone on both sites for a while so you can have a look at the ‘before’ live site, lauracrisci.com, and the ‘after’ lauracrisci.com/sitestaging site to see what I mean about the X plugins since the last troubleshooting fix.

I look forward to your thoughts on the oddities…

Thank you all very much!

Laura.

Hey Laura,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry I don’t know where the FB “Like” “Share” is also coming though so you will need to search for this in your site because this is not something that we offer as product support.

The parallax issue is a known conflict in the recent update so yes, it’s a theme issue and an official fix might be included in one of the succeeding releases.

Regarding the Facebook Comments update, the version you were using was old and there was a major change after that version that a manual update was required. It seldom happens and that is true with other themes and plugins as well. You should be able to receive automatic updates next time. And by automatic updates, I don’t mean that X and Cornerstone update will update the rest of the extension. It just means that you will receive a notice to update.

During updates, it would be helpful to check our Changelog to see the latest versions along with information regarding bug fixes and new features.

For your audio player, we would need to know if X is the one causing the issue so in your staging site, we need you to test it using the default WordPress theme and see if the issue persists. If it does, then, it probably is an issue with your audio plugin. In that case, you will need to contact the plugin author.

If the issue is fixed, I’d recommend that you open another thread for this so we could focus solely on this issue and not get confused with the issues discussed in this thread. Then, provide us with specific details about the issue and also screenshots. And, post a link to this thread for reference.

Just note though that this doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll provide a fix as the issue might be complex. Our goal is to know if there’s a conflict so we could let our development team know of the issue and they will be the one to decide of an official solution or whether it will be supported or not.

Thanks.

Thanks Christian,

Will do! I just wanted to wrap things up with the changes that were done in this thread and the anomalies that popped up as a result of the update and the fix. I will start a new thread if anything else appears or doesn’t resolve itself in future updates.

As far as I’m concerned it has been resolved and I am very grateful for the team effort and expertise in resolving it all. There’s no way I would have figured this out on my own!

I just wanted to make you aware of the X-Facebook Comments not updating and when it was updated, it wasn’t put back as an X-plugin category.

And also, that the code that appeared in the top left of the header I do not recall putting there and showed up at the same time of the update and the parallax problem just in case it was some kind of theme issue that others might be having as well.

And as far as the audio player, I just wanted to let you know that when I put the Facebook component back in, it worked just fine too thanks to your fix!

But for now, I’m better than good and very happy with the results…

Thank you all again very much!

Laura. :slight_smile:

Hi @LauraCrisci,

And you’re always welcome, we’re glad we could always help :wink:

Thanks for further reports, we’ll see investigate it internally. Do you mean that facebook comments setting isn’t saving? I’m a bit confused about not-updating when it was updated.

And for the buttons that appear on the top left of the header, it’s actually added after the line <div id="x-root" class="x-root">. It could be added through the hook or child theme’s template, and both are custom coded. Have you remember adding those codes in your child theme? This is the line

<div class="fb-like" data-href="https://lauracrisci.com" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true"></div>

I recommend removing it from where it was added.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, just saw this. I wasn’t expecting to hear back anymore, but I’m so glad I checked again… I will keep doing that just in case!

What I mean is that when I updated X-Theme and Cornerstone, the plugin “X-Facebook Comments” did not update. Other’s may not have as well. And, it didn’t say that it needed to be updated. So, unless I checked each of the X-plugins I wouldn’t know if they needed updating or not.

The other thing is that in the staged site (lauracrisci.com/sitestaging) where Christian deleted and then updated the X-Facebook Comments that was one of the plugins crashing the parallax feature, it did not reinstall as an X-plugin in the list and was now listed as only “Facebook Comments.” But in the description of the plugin it still said Themeco.

I hope that helps to clear it up. Shouldn’t the plugins update along with Cornerstone updates or at least let me know that they need to be updated? Otherwise how would I know without checking each and every one?

Thanks for the heads up about where that unneeded “fb-like” code is located. I will hunt it down and remove it if I can. Could you tell me how to find it? When I go to themes on the dashboard and then select the X-child theme, then I select “customize” which takes me to the customizer and then another option to “customize X in theme options” and then I click on the CSS button on the top left margin. But, at that point, I can’t find it and I’m not sure if I’m editing the X-theme itself or the child theme. None of this looks familiar as to how I used to access and edit the child theme. Could you advise me on how to get to the code that you suggest I remove? I can’t seem to find the child theme template, or I just don’t recognize it anymore… it has been quite a while since I’ve done any code editing…

***I think I found it in my cpanel file folder under functions.php. Is that where I need to delete it or is there an easier way to do it through the dashboard?
***Ok, I found it in the Dashboard under Appearance - Editor - theme functions php - additional functions… how much of that code should I delete? All of it or just the part you mentioned.

If you want to have a look around at either the main site or the staged site, please feel free. I will be making changes now though to both so I can get them up and running and finish cleaning them up and updating with new content and pages.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

Laura :sunglasses:

Hi @LauraCrisci,

You can remove the code from functions.php, it can be done on both CPanel’s file manager, FTP, or in your Wordpress admin theme editor. And you should remove the code block that’s related to it, the entire function () { } block for that facebook embed code.

As for the update, they aren’t connected to cornerstone and theme update so you’ll have to update them separately just as long you needed them. Some may need manual update ( uploading through FTP or CPanel’s file manager) especially for very old plugins.

And you’re always welcome :wink:

Thanks!

Got it, thanks!

I also got the header problem removed, but for some reason, it wouldn’t work in the wordpress admin theme editor. It told me to go do it on my Cpanel, so that’s what I did (after I backed up the file!) and it did the trick! I did not remove the CSS in the header yet just in case I actually needed that code for something and have to put it back into the child theme. So far, I just did it on the lauracrisci.com/sitestaging site. But, I think it’s safe to do it all on the main site now and move on.

Thanks again!

Laura :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.

1 Like