Header builder video background not showing

I’m trying to switch from an image background to a video background, but the video will not display regardless of what format I use.

I’ve tried both MP4 and WEBM, but both just show a blank white area where the video should be. The poster image does not show either.

Any ideas on why this wouldn’t show up? I can see the HTML for the video being output.

Hi @QuickFix,

Thanks for writing in.

I have tried to also the video from our demo however it is still not working. In this case, please share us your admin credentials so we could check your setup closer.

Don’t forget to set it in a secure note.

Thanks.

Sure, information attached as a secure note.

Hi There,

Thank you for the credentials, on the previous release there is a fixed for a bug that regards with advanced backgrounds not appearing.

Changelog

Please update your theme to the latest version. (refer here for the latest compatible version)

Remember to clear all caches (plugin, sever-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Cheers!

I’ve updated to 1.2.3 (despite my best efforts to hold off until the next update) and it’s still not working.

Tried both .webm and .mp4, ensured CloudFlare was in development mode, cleared all caches, tried in other browsers, etc. No luck.

What now?

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! I have investigated your site and it seems that there is something that prevents the video from paying. I have tested the video in our local test server by replicating your header and it plays which you can check it here: http://prntscr.com/gzmo99

Please make sure that videos are allowed in your site. It could be a CloudFlare setting that prevents the video from playing. Viewing the page displays as if it does not have a video. I created another test header and inserted the video found in Integrity 1 demo content. Still the video is not playing. Are you sure that videos are allowed to play from your site?

Please let us know how it goes.

We host on Cloudways, which ThemeCo has partnered with recently. There is nothing special about our setup. The video still does not play even after putting CloudFlare in dev mode or disabling the orange cloud entirely.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! I have edited your test page and I inserted your video using the Video Player element. I also added an embedded code from a youtube video. I can conclude that your server is not playing or allowing the video. You can check it in the secure note:

I also created the same set up in my local install using your video. It is weird because in my install, the video played but in your site it is not playing.

I would recommend that you ask your hosting provider why this video is not playing when you add it on the page.

Please let us know how it goes.

First, please immediately remove the link to our client’s site. There’s a reason I provided that link as a secure note and would appreciate not having that be public. One would think that’kind of privacy is common sense.

As I mentioned previously, the hosting provider is CloudWays (of whom ThemeCo is a partner). We have not made ANY changes to the server; the environment there is as vanilla as you can get.

What specifically should we be asking them about? It’s not the hosting provider’s job to troubleshoot third party software or dig through your code to figure out how your theme works.

We have provided admin level access and you have a way to replicate the issue. Would providing SFTP access help?

If ThemeCo has partnered with CloudWays, it would stand to reason that this should work out of the box without having to chase our tail for over a week or ask CloudWays to troubleshoot your software. Our client has been waiting for us to implement something that should be incredibly simple for over a WEEK now and we still have zero answers. Please do not blame the host for your software not working, or else at least provide very specific server and stack requirements so there’s no confusion.

We’re extremely unhappy with the rollout of your newer versions and even unhappier with the support I’m seeing with this issue and others. We have purchased at LEAST sixty licenses from you guys. I would hope that would earn us some real troubleshooting efforts instead of trying to pass us off to someone else after waiting a week for a non-answer.

We’ll have to start looking at other solutions soon. ThemeCo has dropped the ball.

Hi There,

We have made the whole thread private so this thread is not visible for anyone but theme staff and you.

The issue is being caused due to a conflict with one of your active plugins. Upon deactivating all your plugins the video background does work as expected.

As you mentioned this is a live site I activated them as fast as possible. In order to find out which plugin is generating the conflict, you can turn off all the plugins on your most suitable hours, and turn on one by one until you find which plugin is conflicting.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like WP-Types Views plugin is the cause of the conflict. How can this be fixed?

Regretfully, we cannot provide support for third party plugins or scripts due to the fact that there is simply no way to account for all of the potential variables at play when using another developer’s plugin or script. Because of this, any questions you have regarding setup, integration, or troubleshooting any piece of functionality that is not native to X will need to be directed to the original developer.

Thank you for your understanding.

So, what happens when WP-Types invariably points me back to ThemeCo for a solution?

I feel like this is something the THEME needs to fix. This wasn’t a problem on earlier versions of X. ThemeCo’s code is the variable here, not the WP-Types plugins. All other themes I’ve tried work just fine with Views active; Ithis is a problem with your product.

Hi there,

This is already added to our issue tracker and our developer should able to see it.

The header builder is only available in Pro and not to other themes, the simple header will work with these plugins.

And in every kind of software development, it’s a best practice not to touch a stable site. Example, if you do maintenance, or updates, or redesign, it’s always best to clone a site as staging and do everything there. Then move it over, the recent update is a major one and there are some feature gaps between the latest and older version. It’s not mandatory to always update your site when it deals major changes, if it’s just patches then it should be okay.

Thanks!