Grid Read More Links not working properly

Since some weeks, i noticed that The Grid we use to display our posts doesn’t work properly anymore. New articles i added to the website are displayed, but the images and “read more links” are not clickable, or lead to a wrong article.
Only after re-editing the permalink and the post via the built-in post-editor, the Grid works fine.
www.fachschaftmedizin.de
Could you help me solving this issue?
Thank you very much in advance!
David

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your site and I see you’re using an old version of the theme. Please update your theme and plugins to the latest version as many bugs have been addressed in the latest release. You can find the latest version numbers here: (http://theme.co/changelog/) Then you can compare them to what’s installed on your site.

If you find anything to be out of date, you can review our update guide.

Also make sure you’re using the latest supported version of The Grid extension, you can find out the versions here https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Let us know how this goes!

Hey Nabeel,

thanks a lot for the quick reply!
I did all the updates, but unfortunately it still isn’t working properly.

Hello @fsmed,

To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your grid and theme settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thanks.

Hi,
thank you! I know that after editing a post it suddenly works.
But what i need it working from scratch without changing the post-titles manually.
It’s working with other grid-plugins though.

Hey David,

Yes sure take you time, when you feel comfortable with the site access then please provide us the credentials using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thanks!

Hello @fsmed,

To prevent any confusion, I have edited your post and the post titles. The links are working as expected now.

Please check your site now.

Hi,
thank you! I know that after editing a post it suddenly works.
But what i need it working from scratch without changing the post-titles manually.
It’s working with other grid-plugins though.

Hello @fsmed,

I am not sure either. My only guess is that the duplicated titles may have been the cause of the issue. If you have imported the posts from Facebook, you may need to manually edit and change the post titles to avoid confusion to the reader and to the grid.

Regards.

I guess this is a bug in the Grid, because it works with wordpress built-in pagination and other Grid-Plugins.
It is very inconvenient for us to manually change all the titles. Maybe you could forward this bug(?) to the developers?

Thanks a lot.
Regards

Hey @fsmed,

I switched to the parent Pro theme and the issue was resolved. This means that there’s a custom code in your child theme causing the issue. Please have a web developer investigate what code is causing the issue and fix it.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot!
i will definetly have a look at it!

fun fact:
When using Safari it is funnily not a problem, even when using the child-theme.

Hey @fsmed,

Thank you for testing. You might be seeing the cached version of your site. If it’s not cache, I’d recommend you have your child theme fixed for Chrome and other browsers.

Hey @christian_y,

i tested the Theme-switching on the “real” website. Unfortunately it doesn’t change a thing, even when deleting all cache afterwards. I guess it only worked on the debug-page, because @RueNel allready fixed the issue manually.
I reseted the debug-page, login is still the same. Maybe you could give it another try?

Thanks a lot

Hey @fsmed,

Thanks for testing. I’m sorry I had not provided much details in my previous response. I’d like to add now that when I primarily used or monitored this post: “Infoveranstaltung zum Neubau Lehr- und Lernzentrum am 13.11. Neues Bauprojekt des Landes für Medizinische Fakultät und Universitätsklinikum Tübingen | Universitätsklinikum Tübingen” for testing.

When I viewed that at first, the Title Link and Read More Link points to Facebook Post 5. After I switched to the parent theme, all the links was fixed with the exception of the manually fixed links of course.

After that, I switched to the child theme and all the links (except for the manually fixed links) are back to linking to Facebook Post 5 again that’s why I suspected the child theme.

Returning to your staging site now, all links are back to using Facebook Post 5 again even the parent theme is active so I deactivated all plugin except The Grid but it still didn’t fix.

I then checked The Grid settings and found the its caching is enabled. I cleared its cache and deactivated The Grid’s caching. This didn’t resolve the issue.

Because that didn’t resolve the issue, I tried to use other skins to force The Grid to generate or show another view. This fixed the post I was monitoring and looks like it fixed all except the next post.

The next post in the grid used another wrong URL instead of Facebook Post 5.

I’m now convinced that there is something wrong with The Grid so for now, I’d recommend using Essential Grid or other grid plugins instead.

If you could also detail how the posts were imported, we will report it to The Grid’s developers. Please detail the exact steps you took. It’s best to number the steps.

Thanks.

Hey Christian,

thanks a lot for providing all this information and your work.
Is there a way to create a horizontal Grid with “Essential Grid” like i did with “the Grid”?

Steps to import Posts
The posts are imported via IFTTT (www.ifttt.com/). It uses the “Facebook Pages”-Service and the “Wordpress”-Service.
Everytime a new post appears on our Facebook-Page it is then automatically published on our Homepage as well.

1. New Post on Facebook
  2. Trigger for IFTTT
  3. IFTTT extracts data about text, photos and metadata
  4. IFTTT creates a new post via the Wordpress-Service including
    -Title: “Facebook Post”
    -Photo
    -Text: “Text extracted from Facebook Post”, “Metadata”
  5. The post is then published on the Homepage
  6. The post is displayed by “the Grid” on the Homepage

Thanks a lot!

Hey @fsmed,

Yes. The important settings that you should configure in Essential Grid are the following.

• Grid Settings > Pagination.

• Nav-Filter-Sort > Navigation Positions

• Animations > Filter/Pagination Animation

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the original issue, thanks for sharing the exact steps. I’ll post that in our issue tracker so maybe the The Grid developers will consider supporting that approach of posting posts in WordPress.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.